• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Winter smoking blues

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Love Wisconsin but hate that I can't do much smoking at 20 degrees. What else to do but study and plan for the next warm day?

xray

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 11, 2015
I live in PA, it’s currently 19F. I do a lot of cold smoking this time of the year.

I’ll smoke a lot of cheese, snack sticks and jerky in the colder weather and then store them so they can be enjoyed year round.

As for smoking stuff for a meal. I will usually do pork tenderloin, meatloaf and the occasional reverse-seared steak....all things that don’t require me to open my propane smoker door too much. I also hate the cold, so these smokes are fairly quick and don’t require much babysitting on my part.

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
I to smoke year round cold or not. With my propane smoker.

Warren

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Group Lead
Joined May 19, 2018
Lol JC..I still smoke in Winter.

It just takes longer to do, but no reason not to do it. Or like they said, good time to do some cold smoking :)

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
MES works surprisingly well in winter with no mods right out in the wide open. Chuckie on deck tomorrow and temps in 20s with snow coming. Gonna do my first brisket next weekend.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Looks like I stand corrected. I will have to give freezing temp smoking a try. I got a real hankering for some St. Louis ribs and I am itching to make my own bacon...

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
JC in GB Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Group Lead
Joined May 19, 2018
Looks like I stand corrected. I will have to give freezing temp smoking a try. I got a real hankering for some St. Louis ribs and I am itching to make my own bacon...
I use a hair dryer to warm the inside of my MES to about 45-50f and then switch it on when it's this cold.

Or cold smoke all the cheese you want ;)

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks