Whole Hog Roasting Experts (Advice Please)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dkmiller16

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
So I was just asked to help with a hog roast. I suggested a hog roaster but they want to go the the route of a rotisserie that they have access to. This is something that I have never done. What tips, tricks, dos or dont's do you have for me? I have searched but haven't found a lot of good threads. Maybe just not searching the right keywords. Thanks

If you do a search for Filipino Pig Roast you will probably get a lot of ideas. Was stationed there for a while and Cebu Lechon was one of the highlights of living there. IIRC it is thier national dish

Reactions: noboundaries
I've cooked on a double rotisserie with a cover, and an open rotisserie. Hogs, lamb, and goats. Which style will you be using? And I'm assuming you are using charcoal? I don't know where to start with tips, what things do you think will be a potential problem?

ux7QM5q.jpg
YucgtMX.jpg
lW52ww5.jpg
StZW2x4.jpg

Reactions: kruizer and TNJAKE
I have helped out on a few pig cooks, 60-75 pound. We did a nice injection everywhere. A pump style injector helps out big time. Prep all depends on your butcher. We have a guy that does it all for us. Just did it on the RF. Love the cheeks!

RG

2018-11-17-08.16.28.jpg

• Love
Reactions: TNJAKE and kruizer
I’ve done a few pigs biggest challenge I had was keeping the thinner rib section from over cooking while getting the thicker hams and shoulders done. I’d recommend keeping all your coals towards the front and back of the pig if possible. I have always injected and used my rub. Good luck and don’t forget we like to see pics.

Reactions: Fueling Around
We did a few Whole Hogs years ago, but then realized it's a lot less work, less waste, better meat, if you just get a few Butts, and throw some Beef in too, so people have their choice of Beef or Pork (or Both). The recuperation time is much shorter for us Old Guys too!!

The only thing you miss is the Kids think it's neat seeing a Whole Hog in there with an Apple in it's mouth.

Bear

We did a few Whole Hogs years ago, but then realized it's a lot less work, less waste, better meat, if you just get a few Butts, and throw some Beef in too, so people have their choice of Beef or Pork (or Both). The recuperation time is much shorter for us Old Guys too!!

The only thing you miss is the Kids think it's neat seeing a Whole Hog in there with an Apple in it's mouth.

Bear
And the kids get to see the men-folk all liquored up and trying to be funny.
LbqYQqR.jpg

Bear

Planning to do a whole hog for a block party. The kids seeing the apple in its mouth is definitely part of the presentation.

If you do a search for Filipino Pig Roast you will probably get a lot of ideas. Was stationed there for a while and Cebu Lechon was one of the highlights of living there. IIRC it is their national dish
I'll second this recommendation. The videos are fun to watch whether you want to spin-roast a pig or not. They will tell you everything you want to know.

After doing over a dozen whole hog I've learned a few things. Annual event with parochial school plus a couple more from learning days
Using either a electric or manual rotisserie (4 fixed turn points) is better than fixed. The meat needs to turn from the heat
I prefer skin on versus skin off. Hard to get skin on around here.

smokin peachey smokin peachey hit with the heat control. If you want to keep the hog whole definitely try to spread the heat. Hopefully you have charcoal trays

Another option is to separate the ribs, belly, and loin from the head and front shoulders and rear haunches.
Talked about this for years, but head cook won't go there

Thanks for all the good info. I have some homework cut out for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky