Which Temperature Brand/Model Do You Use?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
There are dozens out there - which brand/model are you using to monitor the temps on your rig and your food?

BTW - I am not talking about instant-read thermometers.

I use a ThermoPro TP28 and this
Post pics

Last edited:
I use the Inkbird IRF-4S for all my smokes/cooks.
While it may not have the ability to graph temps, the RF range and fast battery recharging time more than makes up for that.
It has also been a solid performer. No issues.
The old TP-20 is my back up therm.

I have used this unit for over 4 years. Very happy, although I wished it had alarm for temperature dropping. Have a second unit I bought as backup, but the first has never quit.

I use the Maverick XR-50. No, it's not wifi or bluetooth, no graphing, but it works very well. I have an Inkbird IBBQ-4T, but after looking into the phone app and all of the data collection they require from my phone (Android), I never even took it out of the box. The permissions can't be changed or at least I couldn't find a way to stop them from collecting my phone data very easily. Plus, the app reviews are not very good. Now if someone can show me an easy way to turn off all the permissions that Inkbird requires, I may use it...

Just ordered the IBBQ-4T. I will follow up once it gets here. Good to know about the permissions it requires. Here's to hoping the app works without undue delays, as I have read here many times about people not being able to connect.

1656359569949.png

Inkbird is an SMF sponsor. I have their 4-probe version. It has performed far better than the Maverick I had, or another one I tossed long ago.

My Maverick worked great for a couple years, but I went through 6 probes, and I know how to care for probes. I've been using the Inkbird for maybe 3 years now, and haven't had a probe fail yet (knock on wood).

I used a Maverick for several years (I don't recall the model - but it was a popular one around 2015 or so) and it did read very accurately. The probes and water DO NOT get along. I had to be very careful in a braising environment to not let the wire end of the probe get steamed. It cost me several probes :(

I have an Inkbird 4 probe now and could not be happier. It's a baser model (no wifi etc) but I can absolutely forget to charge it, start a cook, charge it about 30 minutes, and it go 24 hours on that charge. I'm brutal on the probes - I was curious as to how they would stand up VS the Maverick probes so I basically tried to kill one the first few cooks. It's not dead yet and I have exposed it to steam a dozen or 30 times. I honestly don't know how many times - but many times. That probe is a couple of degrees off of both boiling and ice water though - but it HAS been abused, and it wasn't off in the beginning. I think of it as my "beater" probe. It gets grate duty, enclosed under foil duty etc..... I expect it to die at any time - yet it just keeps on keepin' on.

A heavy dewfall killed my Maverick one night. I was always careful to place it inside of a ziploc bag except that ONE time....

Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke - just use it as a non-bluetooth device!

I have used this unit for over 4 years. Very happy, although I wished it had alarm for temperature dropping. Have a second unit I bought as backup, but the first has never quit.

I've had great luck with the cheap generic Chinese units too. SG's is supposedly bluetooth, but I've preferred a stand-alone approach like this: Or here's a 4-channel one:
These all have wired leads to a base station which then transmits to a dedicated wireless receiver or as a Bluetooth device. The temp probes are NOT wireless so are no good with a rotisserie. Don't have one yet, but I'd like to get a self-contained wireless model that one can use with a rotisserie.

I used a Maverick for several years (I don't recall the model - but it was a popular one around 2015 or so) and it did read very accurately. The probes and water DO NOT get along. I had to be very careful in a braising environment to not let the wire end of the probe get steamed. It cost me several probes :(

I have an Inkbird 4 probe now and could not be happier. It's a baser model (no wifi etc) but I can absolutely forget to charge it, start a cook, charge it about 30 minutes, and it go 24 hours on that charge. I'm brutal on the probes - I was curious as to how they would stand up VS the Maverick probes so I basically tried to kill one the first few cooks. It's not dead yet and I have exposed it to steam a dozen or 30 times. I honestly don't know how many times - but many times. That probe is a couple of degrees off of both boiling and ice water though - but it HAS been abused, and it wasn't off in the beginning. I think of it as my "beater" probe. It gets grate duty, enclosed under foil duty etc..... I expect it to die at any time - yet it just keeps on keepin' on.

A heavy dewfall killed my Maverick one night. I was always careful to place it inside of a ziploc bag except that ONE time....

Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke - just use it as a non-bluetooth device!
I have two Mavericks -- ET-733 and XR-40. I've had to replace the probes on the ET-733 due to inaccuracy. The XR-40 has been especially sensitive to moisture in the receiver. I store them outside in my grill cabinet and they end up exposed to outside humidity and the occasional few drops of water.

The XR-40 just barely works, but the ET-733 seems pretty reliable now that I replaced the probes.

Whenever I need to buy another one, it won't be a Maverick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky