Which one is the ribeye? Let’s play a game!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I see 2 or maybe 1 and the other is a "chuckeye", as I've seen some marketed in the chain grocers. If I was pressed to pick one, I'd pick the one on the right, but either way, the 2 that obviously look like ribeyes will be just fine. Remember that where the chuck stops, the rib begins, there is no divider. The chuck end/half of the rib is my preferred part due to the extra internal fat in addition to the marbling. I'll wager that you won't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.....

I believe GonnaSmoke nailed it! Chuckeyes rival ribeyes for tenderness and flavor.

So tonight was very interesting. I decided to cook both pieces I was questioning. I think they were both ribeyes to be honest. The tenderness and flavor was ribeye like on both. Now....one of the big flat pieces that had a bone, which I didn’t show in the pic, and which I was confident was a ribeye....well that was interesting. The center of that piece was tough and flavorless. As soon as I ate it I thought to myself now THIS is the Chuck. But then I would cut pieces at the end of that meat that were much more tender and ribeye like in tenderness and flavor. Do Chuck roasts sometimes tend to have a bone? Cause this “steak” that I was convinced was a bone in ribeye, I’m now questioning if that was the Chuck instead.

When I smoke my usual 3 pound Chuck Roasts, when I take them to about 203°, to pull Beef, there is always one tough area, in the middle, towards one end, that is hard to pull. The rest always pulls easily. None of my 3 pound Chucks have ever had a Bone in.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky