What's with these car lead times?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I went to purchase a new vehicle. My first pickup in about 7 years. I couldn't justify over 100.00 a week in gas. I drive 75 miles a day. But Ford just came out with a solution. The new Mavericks.
I went with the 250hp, 277 ft pound torque 2.0 turbo engine with AWD. This gets the same mpg as my Bronco. And I added the 4K tow package so we can get a boat later. Granted, it isn't a full size pickup. But I've always liked the smaller pickups. My last was a ranger with FX4 package. Loved that truck. But it had a nasty gas addiction.
So, the wait begins....

Untitled.jpg

12 to 14 weeks lead time. I'm guessing the shortage of parts is the reason. But that's fine. I can wait!

Been looking at them my self, I have a 11 f150 4x4 4 door with 270000 miles. still runs well but need to get better milage as the wife drives it most of the time. 75-80 miles a day adds up in gas, she has a lead foot and 16 mpg is her normal range. will keep it for towing the camper and hunting or the toon

Reactions: chopsaw and Steve H
Steve, the chip shortage is the excuse being used by many manufacturers and that's not just the automobile makers. Boat motors are extremely hard to come by especially for someone who may be looking to repower a boat. There's a boat dealer near me that has probably 30 boats on their lot and not a one has a motor. I've heard that they have a limited supply of motors and will install one after the boat has been purchased. As for the auto manufacturers, I see a time in the not too distant future when everyone will have to order any new vehicle. There's talk of doing away with dealerships and having everything made to order and shipped direct. The manufacturers are realizing what a cost savings, or rather just more money in their pockets, it would be for them. I can envision a time where car dealers will be nothing more than maintenance centers.

Steve, the chip shortage is the excuse being used by many manufacturers and that's not just the automobile makers. Boat motors are extremely hard to come by especially for someone who may be looking to repower a boat. There's a boat dealer near me that has probably 30 boats on their lot and not a one has a motor. I've heard that they have a limited supply of motors and will install one after the boat has been purchased. As for the auto manufacturers, I see a time in the not too distant future when everyone will have to order any new vehicle. There's talk of doing away with dealerships and having everything made to order and shipped direct. The manufacturers are realizing what a cost savings, or rather just more money in their pockets, it would be for them. I can envision a time where car dealers will be nothing more than maintenance centers.

I heard the same thing about the chips. Strange days we live in.

Not gonna get better any time soon. China had 20,000,000 people on lock down again. No telling what this will do to the supply chain.

Reactions: Steve H
Global economy at work. But anyway......That's a beauty of a truck. I went from a crew cab LWB RAM dually to a Nissan Frontier after I sold my 5th wheel camper. Was like driving a sportscar.
Jim

Reactions: Colin1230
Nice . It'll be worth the wait . Have any experience with the Eccoboost engines ?
I've been driving F-150's for a long time . Bought a used 2018 in Nov. of '19 .
I usually drive Lariats , but that year had to much chrome for my taste . So I got a XLT Sport with a 302a luxury group . 2.7 twin turbo . 10 speed automatic .
I was shocked at the performance it has . Dragster with a truck bed .
. My last was a ranger with FX4 package. Loved that truck.
Yup . I still have my '05 Lariat with an FX4 package . I just can't bring myself to get rid of it .

Reactions: sawhorseray
I am sure they are selling over MSRP also. I am hanging onto my explorer until things get back to normal. Subaru outbacks are selling way over list and have similar lead times. I figure it will be 2023 before I buy something. There are going to be a ton of people upside down in their vehicles when the market returns to normal. The dealers know this, especially on the used side and are very afraid when the time comes to get people into a new car in a few years.

I am sure they are selling over MSRP also. I am hanging onto my explorer until things get back to normal. Subaru outbacks are selling way over list and have similar lead times. I figure it will be 2023 before I buy something. There are going to be a ton of people upside down in their vehicles when the market returns to normal. The dealers know this, especially on the used side and are very afraid when the time comes to get people into a new car in a few years.

I looked at around 20 dealerships online for the Maverick. 11 had 1 or 2 on the lot. 8 of the dealerships were asking over MSRP by 2000.00 to 3000.00. One dealership had the exact one I wanted. But I wasn't going to pay 2 grand more for one. I'm trading my Subaru Forester limited. It's 3 years old. Has 43000 miles on it. And they gave me 11,000.00 more than what I owed on it. So, basically, I drove it for 3 years and it depreciated by 5 grand. Used Foresters are selling for almost the price of a new one. It's crazy!

Last edited:
It thw whole Rona s**t show…. I ordered an EV mid October and picked it up mid December. They told us they stopped taking orders for 2022 models in that 3 month window.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
It thw whole Rona s**t show…. I ordered an EV mid October and picked it up mid December. They told us they stopped taking orders for 2022 models in that 3 month window.
What EV did you wind up getting? We have the Pacifica plug-in hybrid as our family vehicle. Only 33 miles of electric only range, but that is enough 95% of the time for our local driving. We fill up the gas tank usually only two or three times a year, when we drive to Miami.

I looked at around 20 dealerships online for the Maverick. 11 had 1 or 2 on the lot. 8 of the dealerships were asking over MSRP by 2000.00 to 3000.00. One dealership had the exact one I wanted. But I wasn't going to pay 2 grand more for one. I'm trading my Subaru Forester limited. It's 3 years old. Has 43000 miles on it. And they gave me 11,000.00 more than what I owed on it. So, basically, I drove it for 3 years and it depreciated by 5 grand. Used Foresters are selling for almost the price of a new one. It's crazy!
yeah my 14 explorer with 130K on the clock and my 16 Outback has 107K, neither trade would get me far enough to pay over invoice for new. I will just keep driving and hope nothing goes that I can't fix myself.

What EV did you wind up getting?
We picked up a Mini Cooper SE (full EV plug in). Has 100 or so mile range which is more than we need. We wanted to be able to run errands and such without gas. It has most of the EV parts from the BMW EV which has been on the road a few years. Also, bigger range = bigger battery = bigger cost. We have a beefy SUV for snow days and runs to the ski resorts - for now. Soon as I can get an SUV with range to drive from SLC to Denver ill buy it. I think we are a couple years out for that.

Reactions: mcokevin
We picked up a Mini Cooper SE (full EV plug in). Has 100 or so mile range which is more than we need. We wanted to be able to run errands and such without gas. It has most of the EV parts from the BMW EV which has been on the road a few years. Also, bigger range = bigger battery = bigger cost. We have a beefy SUV for snow days and runs to the ski resorts - for now. Soon as I can get an SUV with range to drive from SLC to Denver ill buy it. I think we are a couple years out for that.
Nice.

We like the plug-in hybrid for the family vehicle. Almost never use gas, but if we want to drive across country we don't need to worry about charging. Still a few years away from that being easy.
For my next vehicle, i.e. not the family vehicle, I am either going full electric or more old school - ICE with a standard transmission and some balls. Might be my last chance to buy one... but even then any EV will be faster.

Trying to get a new work and they don’t have new trucks to be had. Used medium duty truck prices are almost as high as new one were three years ago.

I've owned a few hybrids. But not a full electric one yet. I would have gone with the Maverick hybrid if it came with awd.

I bought my 2020 Tacoma in late November of 19. Timing couldn't have been better. Got exactly what I wanted...4cyl 4x4 access cab. If I had waited I would've never been able to get what I wanted without some serious lead time and would've paid much more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky