Enough with the Gas Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chief 7

Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Brand new guy here from Bradenton, FL. I have been grilling for years - and really have tried to "smoke" on my gas grill. I have used (with some success) a pellet tube but have found it adequate but ONLY that - and it is an expensive smoke. To smoke a butt or some beef ribs I use a tank of gas and trying my best to maintain a desired temp is a day long labor. If I am going to have a day of smoking I don't want it to be a labor but a labor of love and not running to the grill every 15 minutes when the thermo alarm goes off. So, I am trying to decide between the WSM and an Akorn since they each have their own significant benefits, from all the reading and videos I've seen. But the one question I will be offering first is are either of them a good smoker for someone to get for their first real smoker? (Truth in writing: Yes, I do own a Pit Boss pellet grill. It never performed very well and I found it to be unreliable with the pellets ganging up and burning. Florida's humidity sucks!) Thanks for the add and I look forward to learning a great deal from you all!

Welcome. You'll probably get more smoke flavor from a WSM. If you also want to grill then the Acorn might be a winner. Both are great tools, just depends what is more important to you.

Welcome from Hawaii. I have an Akorn and have made some great food on it. Nice smokey flavor in my opinion. Never used a WSM. You definitely need to learn the Akorn. It is easy to shoot past target temps and once you do it takes a while to bring them down. Once you get it dialed in though it is a great cooker. Don't use mine to often anymore since I got my Grand Champ offset.

Reactions: Chief 7
First off, welcome to SMF from Southeast Missouri!

Too bad we're no longer in Bradenton ourselves, or I'd be there coaching you on how to smoke with a gas grill! It can be done, but you really have to close off the leaks!

I went from smoking on an old Char-Broil three burner, to a Brinkmann bullet to the WSM.

The Weber is a fine smoker! I used it for a couple of years and the I moved to the Kamado Joe (similar to the Acorn) when my father-in-law decided to move on from it.

I personally love the versatility of my KJ as it can grill, hot/cold smoke, rotisserie, and bake a pizza on a whole lot less lump charcoal than the Weber could. I know, that doesn't help.

Put it to a vote and I'd say go for the Akorn in a 22" if available.

Yup, you need the right tool for the job. Grills do best for grilling, which can also be used for reverse searing of smoked meats. In regards to smoking there is nothing wrong with a pellet grill but you need to pick one that's at a point where good service can be obtained. Try looking at RecTeq.

Reactions: mr mac and Chief 7
Welcome to your new addiction (the Forums) from the other side of the river... I'm in N. Palmetto... My vote is for the WSM as I have 2 of the mini WSM's ...

Don't know if you would be interested in joining a bunch of us members (and family's) over in Sebring for our annual gathering (13th)... It's in Dec and we get a really good turn out... It's a good way to learn new tips and tricks....

Here's the thread for it

• Love
Welcome to your new addiction (the Forums) from the other side of the river... I'm in N. Palmetto... My vote is for the WSM as I have 2 of the mini WSM's ...
I knew there had to be someone in the area! I'm leaning toward the WSM 18 - even though I generally just cook for my wife and I (and share the extra with my daughter or a good neighbor) I don't hear much about the Mini. If I decide to go in that direction I may get back with you.

I try to avoid the hell hole traffic in B'ton as much as possible... Try to do all my bidden on this side of the river...
I feel your pain! I used to be the fire chief at West Manatee F/R - and I still have to do some stuff downtown for Bradenton Kiwanis. It is now taking more >20 min to get to th lunch meeting at Kiwanis Hall (in the Performing Arts Center on 3rd Ave) and - god forbid - I have a meeting there at 5 it now takes me a full 45 minutes from south Bradenton. Yuck!

Welcome. You'll probably get more smoke flavor from a WSM. If you also want to grill then the Acorn might be a winner. Both are great tools, just depends what is more important to you.
a little late but....
Welcome from SE Florida. I've run the course, from electric, egg, stick burner, you name it. Then I fell into this pit of enablers. Finally bought a Masterbuilt gravity (560) and thought it would be my last smoker. Als, hanging out here I kept seeing and hearing about the WSM. I'm too old to chuck splits in a stick burner here in SE Florida. There was a "kinda" sale on the WSM 18 at the orange store so I bought one. Best thing I ever did. MB 560. The WSM doesn't need a bunch of fancy add-ons and works as i9t should if you watch a few tutorials. Do your self a favor. I space isn't an issue do the "buy-once ,cry-once and get the 22. Then watch some videos or just ask here. There's a gob of WSM afficionados here, you won't regret it. Also , if you don't already have one, I highly recommend getting multi probe thermometer to keep an eye on meats and chamber temp.
I use the Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq I-BBQ 4-T
Welcome to the funny farm, where you won't have any problems with recommendations on spending money.

Well, I just found a lightly used WSM 18 locally for 1/4 the cost and it comes with charcoal and wood, cover, ash bucket, heat shield blanket - what a deal. He JUST posted it and he's moving Saturday. Perfect timing. Thanks all!
I just got home with my "new" WSM - here is what I got for $85:

WSM
Weber Cover
Heat Shield Blanket
Charcoal Starter Bucket
Charcoal Starters
1 Bag of Charcoal
1 Bag of Lump Charcoal
1 Bag of Post Oak wood
Ash Bucket with scoop

The racks need some cleaning and attention, but overall the smoker is solid. And it appears that the front cover isn't very loose to drain heat and smoke. I'm anxious to get it up and going...
IMG_7351.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky