What to do with Eye Round Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tiger1964

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
Seabrook, MD
Just picked up a (Black Angus) Beef Eye Round Roast without knowing anything about the cut or what to do with it. Didn't see anything obvious in our two Raichlen cookbooks but perhaps there are similar cuts. It's big, even cutting it in half we'll have two roasts of about 2-1/4LB each, a good 3" thick. On our kamado, any ideas on preparation or recipe, and expectations on results? It certainly looks good in the package, some marbling apparent, but have not cut it yet.

I agree with Jake! Don't go past medium rare ! Makes for great sandwiches.
If you happen to have a sous vide unit thats a fantastic way to do them! Many people here on the forum have done them that way and is my preferred way of doing them.... You could also cure them and then smoke for dried beef. .. You can check out Bearcarver Bearcarver threads for that. He has a great method for both the sous vide and the dried beef.

I agree with TNJAKE TNJAKE . I season mine with the coarse Montreal steak seasoning, cook to a little over 130° rest and then cool overnight and slice the next day. It makes great sliced beef for sandwiches. And can be portioned and frozen.
mE8BA.jpg
LoH1v.jpg
lJM9T.jpg

Here's some I did , you can look through if you like . The first three were from the same EOR cut into thirds . Not sure what your cooking options are , but this covers a few ways .
In the 360 roto thread there is a beef and broccoli cook towards the end .

Last edited:
I think everyone has you covered here. I love it as medium rare lunch meat or pastrami. For lunch meat I do like to inject it with Minors beef broth at extra strength and spices.

Could smoke it to med rare and thin slice for some smoked roast beef sammiches
Here is yours. Been on my list.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Sous Vide it for 24 hours at 131 then sear. best roast beef ever! I also make jerky from EOR (as do many others).

This ALL sounds good! Alas, trying to imagine two people eating that much in the way of sandwiches, so we'll probably defer putting it on the grill until we have guests. So, had to pick up a few things at Costco today and my wife spied some sockeye, so we're having that instead -- but if the weather holds for a while, might invite neighbors over for RB sandwiches soon.

The dried beef thing intrigues, my wife likes making creamed chipped beef for breakfast but the little jars of dried beef come at an eye-watering cost per ounce.

The dried beef thing intrigues, my wife likes making creamed chipped beef for breakfast but the little jars of dried beef come at an eye-watering cost per ounce.
There ya go . You'll be famous . It's good stuff . I have one in the smoker right now .
I usually get 2 meals out of a 3lb . hunk for 3 people . The stir fry option for leftovers is great .

Man I tell ya.....Looking at the answers to the OP has got me looking for rye bread and horseradish!
Jim

I too make dried beef from rounds. I slice them an inch thick, use a wet cure (minimum water), then dry in my smoker or oven. Bear's directions are great. I add additional seasonings and dry them with a light coat of Lawry's Garlic salt. My result is kind of a mix between dried beef and jerky. Weight reduction is 35-40%.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky