• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What is your favorite Lumberjack Pellet flavor for all meats - if you had to choose one??

Which LJ blend is best for all meats?

• Competition Blend (Maple-Hickory-Cherry)

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Supreme Blend (Oak-Hickory-Cherry)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (reply in thread)

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I am not into swapping pellets. I have been using rec tec ultimate blend a while which is red oak, white oak and hickory. I use these one ever thang. chicken, fish, beef - every thang.

I want to try a LJ blend that is good for all meats. thinking about one of these blends:
Competition Blend (Maple-Hickory-Cherry)
Supreme Blend (Oak-Hickory-Cherry)

take the poll, add your thoughts please

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
I love the LJ - Oak, hickory, cherry. I could use this blend on just about anything. Always comes out with pleasant smoke flavor.

I have also used the LJ apple and peach pellets. Both delivered great results.

JC :emoji_cat:

nchapelheel

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 8, 2009
I have tried LJ hickory and char hickory. I did NOT notice any flavor difference from other cheaper pellets.....Pit Boss,
Traeger, Camp Chef, etc.
I have a GMG pellet pooper which works well but not the flavor of a 40" Masterbuilt. I am saving my nickels for one of the
gravity feed charcoal smokers from MB.....That will take a while!!

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Get the" oops, ran into problem message " when trying to vote but I do like the Supreme and I use Char Hickory in smoke tube or tray frequently.

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
I am not into swapping pellets. I have been using rec tec ultimate blend a while which is red oak, white oak and hickory. I use these one ever thang. chicken, fish, beef - every thang.

I want to try a LJ blend that is good for all meats. thinking about one of these blends:
Competition Blend (Maple-Hickory-Cherry)
Supreme Blend (Oak-Hickory-Cherry)

take the poll, add your thoughts please
I voted Competition blend.
In TX so much oak is used it become tiring to me, so I have been burned out on oak for years now.
I LOVE maple though as my mild all purpose great flavor wood vs oak.

100% Mesquite is retired but it is what I go through the most smoking briskets. Mesquite is fantastic on chicken and works well on pork. Mesquite also works on fish too, but like with most heavier woods on fish a little goes a long way.

Lumberjack seems to be putting their chips behind their Mesquite Blend (Mesquite and Oak, read oak I think). Many people will love that but again I'm out on oak. Had they done Mesquite and Maple, I wouldn't be so heart broken that their 100% Mesquite is discontinued.

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
I use 100% hickory for everything. Smoke flavor from a pellet grill is light enough that hickory won't overpower anything.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
I use 100% hickory for everything. Smoke flavor from a pellet grill is light enough that hickory won't overpower anything.
If I could smoke with only one wood, it would be hickory.

GA Tom

Joined Jun 7, 2020
I'm with dubob. Competition Blend is best; and that is what I always use.
If you want a hickory/southern pellet I can also recommend 100% pecan. ... Note: it is about 25% more expensive!

JWFokker

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 5, 2019
Pecan is my favorite for pork and chicken, but for beef I use hickory. If I'm using a sweet rub on ribs I'll do a blend of pecan and cherry, apple or maple for variety.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Joined May 30, 2015
100% hickory hands down the only pellet needed. Haven't used anything else for a couple yrs. I buy a ton at a time and break it up between several family and friends.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 24, 2018
I use a a few different ones. I love the mesquite blend if I’m doing beef only, if I throw some pork or anything else in with beef I use hickory, and sometimes the comp blend. Also I pretty much use a tube every time.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 6, 2017
If I could only have one pellet type for everything I'd go with the Competition Blend. Hickory is always a great flavor & mixed with Cherry & Maple just sends the aroma to the next level. My personal favorite is a blend of 2 to 1 Hickory to Cherry. The Comp Blend is basically the same thing. Lumber Jack makes a good pellet.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
thanks for all the input! just ordered 80lb of competition blend. give that a few cooks soon as i runout of my current rec tec pellets. with the weather turning colder - that wont take long

BigW.

Meat Mopper
Joined May 13, 2019
I have always been either hickory or apple in the past. Tried their Comp for my last pulled pork. Also used a tube for the first time. PP turned out great, but I'm not sure if it was pellet or tube that made the difference.

1finder

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 8, 2012
Char-hickory & pecan is a good combination, you’ll like competition blend, it’s good as well. Have mixed Comp & added more cherry too.
LJ makes a great product...
Stay safe!!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.