What is your favorite Lumberjack Pellet flavor for all meats - if you had to choose one??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which LJ blend is best for all meats?

• Competition Blend (Maple-Hickory-Cherry)

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Supreme Blend (Oak-Hickory-Cherry)

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (reply in thread)

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
I am not into swapping pellets. I have been using rec tec ultimate blend a while which is red oak, white oak and hickory. I use these one ever thang. chicken, fish, beef - every thang.

I want to try a LJ blend that is good for all meats. thinking about one of these blends:
Competition Blend (Maple-Hickory-Cherry)
Supreme Blend (Oak-Hickory-Cherry)

take the poll, add your thoughts please

I love the LJ - Oak, hickory, cherry. I could use this blend on just about anything. Always comes out with pleasant smoke flavor.

I have also used the LJ apple and peach pellets. Both delivered great results.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: sandyut
I have tried LJ hickory and char hickory. I did NOT notice any flavor difference from other cheaper pellets.....Pit Boss,
Traeger, Camp Chef, etc.
I have a GMG pellet pooper which works well but not the flavor of a 40" Masterbuilt. I am saving my nickels for one of the
gravity feed charcoal smokers from MB.....That will take a while!!

Get the" oops, ran into problem message " when trying to vote but I do like the Supreme and I use Char Hickory in smoke tube or tray frequently.

Reactions: PorkLips
I am not into swapping pellets. I have been using rec tec ultimate blend a while which is red oak, white oak and hickory. I use these one ever thang. chicken, fish, beef - every thang.

I want to try a LJ blend that is good for all meats. thinking about one of these blends:
Competition Blend (Maple-Hickory-Cherry)
Supreme Blend (Oak-Hickory-Cherry)

take the poll, add your thoughts please

I voted Competition blend.
In TX so much oak is used it become tiring to me, so I have been burned out on oak for years now.
I LOVE maple though as my mild all purpose great flavor wood vs oak.

100% Mesquite is retired but it is what I go through the most smoking briskets. Mesquite is fantastic on chicken and works well on pork. Mesquite also works on fish too, but like with most heavier woods on fish a little goes a long way.

Lumberjack seems to be putting their chips behind their Mesquite Blend (Mesquite and Oak, read oak I think). Many people will love that but again I'm out on oak. Had they done Mesquite and Maple, I wouldn't be so heart broken that their 100% Mesquite is discontinued.

Reactions: JC in GB
Pecan is my favorite for pork and chicken, but for beef I use hickory. If I'm using a sweet rub on ribs I'll do a blend of pecan and cherry, apple or maple for variety.

Reactions: Steff3 and JC in GB
I use a a few different ones. I love the mesquite blend if I’m doing beef only, if I throw some pork or anything else in with beef I use hickory, and sometimes the comp blend. Also I pretty much use a tube every time.

Reactions: tallbm
If I could only have one pellet type for everything I'd go with the Competition Blend. Hickory is always a great flavor & mixed with Cherry & Maple just sends the aroma to the next level. My personal favorite is a blend of 2 to 1 Hickory to Cherry. The Comp Blend is basically the same thing. Lumber Jack makes a good pellet.

Reactions: okie sawbones
thanks for all the input! just ordered 80lb of competition blend. give that a few cooks soon as i runout of my current rec tec pellets. with the weather turning colder - that wont take long

Reactions: Fueling Around
I have always been either hickory or apple in the past. Tried their Comp for my last pulled pork. Also used a tube for the first time. PP turned out great, but I'm not sure if it was pellet or tube that made the difference.

Char-hickory & pecan is a good combination, you’ll like competition blend, it’s good as well. Have mixed Comp & added more cherry too.
LJ makes a great product...
Stay safe!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky