Had To Scratch An MCS Itch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troutman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Houston, Texas
Well been having a big itch to get a pellet pooper. Wanted the convenience factor for large cooks that I can set and forget. Looked at dozens of them and had it down to Rec Tec and Yoder and was just about to get a Yoder until I found out they were not available locally (4th largest city in the US, go figure) and the shipping was going to be a budget buster. About that time someone suggested a local company here, Pitts & Spitts and said they were making pellet smokers. They've been around for years here in Houston and have always made good looking, well built stick burners. I went over to visit with them a couple of times, saw their operation and was suitably impressed.

My better half had just gotten her new car so daddy ran out and made the purchase. (Side note: everything in life is about timing !!). Just had to scratch that itch !!!

The unit is best described as one of their stick burners with the fire box removed and a Pellet Pro added. The dimensions in the cook chamber are 24" diameter by 36" long. The cooking chamber is made of 7 and 10 gauge, fully welded carbon steel. The rolled top and front shelf are made from 304 stainless steel which really makes for a good looking as well as functional cooker. What I like most is although the unit is relatively compact in appearance, it has two expanded metal, fully supported shelves that boast 1200 square inches of cooking surface.

pellet 11.jpg

pellet 02.jpg

pellet 10.jpg

pellet 09.jpg

pellet 06.jpg

pellet 12.jpg

Had a little spit of rainy weather so I finally got to break it in this weekend. Burned in the unit then did an inaugural seasoning cook with some chicken leg quarters I wet brined and roasted at 350*. Used an oak/apple blend for pellets, maybe about 8-10# with break in and first cook. Unit performed flawlessly. Chicken came out awesome, full of moisture, good snap to the skin. Only issue I have is at that temperature little or no smoke is produced so the smokey profile was not there. Reminded me more of chicken done on my gasser. I've got a pellet tube so next high temp cook I'll stick that in there to try for some additional smoke.

pellet 03.jpg

pellet 05.jpg

pellet 04.jpg

Next up will be something low and slow. All in all I'm very happy with the unit. If you're in the market for a higher end pellet cooker, you may want to give these guys a look see. They are flying a little under the radar but definitely are doing and building it right here in Htown !!!

Pitts & Spitts Website

KEEP YOUR SMOKE BLUE !!! TROUTMAN OUT !!!!

Congrats! Those look like great smokers. Not sure if you've cooked on a pellet smoker before, so be aware that they tend to cook faster than other smokers I've used - probably because of the increased convection from the fans. Waiting to see how your low and slow cook turns out.

Well been having a big itch to get a pellet pooper. Wanted the convenience factor for large cooks that I can set and forget. Looked at dozens of them and had it down to Rec Tec and Yoder and was just about to get a Yoder until I found out they were not available locally (4th largest city in the US, go figure) and the shipping was going to be a budget buster. About that time someone suggested a local company here, Pitts & Spitts and said they were making pellet smokers. They've been around for years here in Houston and have always made good looking, well built stick burners. I went over to visit with them a couple of times, saw their operation and was suitably impressed.

My better half had just gotten her new car so daddy ran out and made the purchase. (Side note: everything in life is about timing !!). Just had to scratch that itch !!!

The unit is best described as one of their stick burners with the fire box removed and a Pellet Pro added. The dimensions in the cook chamber are 24" diameter by 36" long. The cooking chamber is made of 7 and 10 gauge, fully welded carbon steel. The rolled top and front shelf are made from 304 stainless steel which really makes for a good looking as well as functional cooker. What I like most is although the unit is relatively compact in appearance, it has two expanded metal, fully supported shelves that boast 1200 square inches of cooking surface.

View attachment 342650
View attachment 342653
View attachment 342655
View attachment 342656
View attachment 342657
View attachment 342660

Had a little spit of rainy weather so I finally got to break it in this weekend. Burned in the unit then did an inaugural seasoning cook with some chicken leg quarters I wet brined and roasted at 350*. Used an oak/apple blend for pellets, maybe about 8-10# with break in and first cook. Unit performed flawlessly. Chicken came out awesome, full of moisture, good snap to the skin. Only issue I have is at that temperature little or no smoke is produced so the smokey profile was not there. Reminded me more of chicken done on my gasser. I've got a pellet tube so next high temp cook I'll stick that in there to try for some additional smoke.

View attachment 342661
View attachment 342662
View attachment 342663

Next up will be something low and slow. All in all I'm very happy with the unit. If you're in the market for a higher end pellet cooker, you may want to give these guys a look see. They are flying a little under the radar but definitely are doing and building it right here in Htown !!!

Pitts & Spitts Website

KEEP YOUR SMOKE BLUE !!! TROUTMAN OUT !!!!
Troutman....I'm looking at this exact smoker. I'm curious about the cleanout. As I understand it, it has a ball valve at the grease drain? How hard is it to clean? I currently have a Green Mountain Grill and love it, but I'm frustrated at not having enough space and want to upgrade to a premium pellet grill. I've been considering the Yoder YS640, but this one from Pitts & Spitts has given me pause. Let me know what you think. Also what pellets do you use?

I'm leaning towards buying a Pitts&Spitts 1250 Pellet Grill. How well does it cook low and slow with pork ribs, brisket, and butts? Do you use it with a pellet tube for low and slow cooking?

Clean up is easy. Grease drains off into a channeled area then out the ball valve into a pale. Actually I foil wrap my grease tray then have a foil tray in the channeled area to collect the grease. All that gets changed out with each cook, pit stays clean.

The only other thing that needs vacuuming is the burn pot and surrounding area where where the pellet dust collects. Simple wet-dry vac does the trick.

And yes I use an AMPNS tray for added smoke. Little or no smoke above 225*, as with most pellet cookers.

Highly recommend this cooker, love mine, it gets constant use.

Can the metal shelf in the front fold down? I don't think my backdoor garage is wide enough to fit the grill through with the shelf up like that. The side of my house has a slight slop and is narrow if I were to take that route. This might be fun.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky