Beef Ribs in the Yoder 640

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
I've cooked Beef ribs many times but not like these. It' always been the shiners, short ribs, individual, ect ... but never a whole, untrimmed slab of ribs. Several weeks back I made a run to the grocery for something and as always, I cruise through the meat section (cause ya never know what you might find) and BOOM! For the first time ever they had 4 of these pack setting in the display.
tempImage8dgI49.png

I just figured it was my lucky day! My first impulse was to grab all 4 packages but I didn't because that's who I am. No need to be greedy, so I grabbed this package and stuck it into the freezer when I got home. Low and behold, within a day or so tx smoker tx smoker post his Dino rib thread and I just get giddy knowing I've got a package stashed in my freezer. Then just a few days ago civilsmoker civilsmoker post his Blackberry plate ribs that were so tasty looking so I drag my package of Choice Tomahawk ribs (that's what's on the package 🤷‍♂️ ) out of the freezer and into the fridge for a thaw out. Yesterday I decided it was Beef Rib Friday so here we go!

Out of the package, quick rise with cold water, pat dry with paper towel and then I removed that thick membrane on the bone side. With pork spares I don't always remove that membrane but I've found the beef is just too thick IMO so off it comes or at least the majority of it. No other trimming was done to this slab.
tempImage27bBMm.png

Once the membrane was removed I give it a thin coat of olive oil and then a semi generous amount of Hard Core Carnivore Black Beef seasoning. I've never used this before but I purchased this about a month ago after all the great things I've read about it. I figured this might be a perfect combination!
tempImageZVbTxB.png

I had prepped the Yoder 640 for this cook with the top shelf in and loaded with Lumberjack Competition Blend pellets. After a good burn off I set it on 225° for this cook. Once the temps were steady I placed this 5 bone mammoth on the top shelf. My objective was to get as much indirect heat and smoke as possible. I wanted low/slow with maximum pellet cooker smoke!
tempImagemHoq6q.png

And we're off! Based on my research I figured it would take around 6 hours to get them tender. As with a lot of my research (and other factors I guess I don't know or consider) I was wrong :emoji_laughing:. After about 5 1/2 hours the IT is around 160° and it's just not probing tender especially in the thicker end so I increased the Yoder temp up slightly to 240° and go have a few adult CRB's (Cold Refreshing Beverages) and let it ride until it probes tender. Man, the aroma at this point will drive you crazy it's so good. I love that Hickory, Cherry, Maple combo of the wood pellets. That light smoke that comes out of the flume on the Yoder with those wood types with the smell of the ribs cooking will stop you in your tracks! If I could only have one type of pellet for the rest of my cooking with these grills I'd probably pick the Lumberjack Competition Blend. It works well with almost everything.

8 hours and they are done. IT was 190° and it was probing tender throughout. Here's a quick pic before I pull them and put them in a foil pan and cover them for a short rest.
tempImagevs92st.png

I considered several other avenues in cooking these ribs such as wrapping with butcher paper as well as putting them in a foil pan and brazing them with a nice au jus. I'm sure those would all work well and maybe even better than what I actually did but I decided to go old school and just let 'em roll in the smoke. After all, I am the king of keep it simple lazy man's smoking :emoji_sunglasses:. After letting them rest for about 1/2 hour it's onto the cutting board and Wifey and I are just amazed. We slice a few and that bone setting there wifey pulled out with her fingers with basically no resistance. They're falling off the bone!!
tempImageoYUjQ6.png

Here's my money shot since I didn't get a plated shot but it looked good on that paper plate with corn & baked beans.
tempImage0rfYnN.png

I now know why Robert had several packages of these ....... WOW! These were so tender and tasty. I've used several types of rubs and seasoning on Korean beef ribs (the thin crossed slices), Shiners, and individual short & plate ribs but that Hard Core Carnivore Black is really really good y'all but if you're one who's already tried this stuff you know this. Sorry I didn't get a plated shot for my paper plate chronicles but I was hungry and a little tipsy when it came time to eat.

My final thought: This is about as good as it gets for smoked beef ribs.

We had these at Jack Stacks in KC several years ago and as much as we enjoyed them and the dining experience of Jack Stacks I'd have to say these were better but I may be a bit biased :emoji_wink:

It's been a while since I enjoyed a smoked meat to this level and I'm already thinking how I want to plate the leftovers today.

Thanks for looking and go fire up those cookers and get to smoking some Q!

Enjoy life my friends. As the old saying goes "I'm not her for a long time but I am here for a good time."

Nice thread… very nice! I love beef ribs and that last pic is phenomenal! Also goes to show you can absolutely get a smoke ring on a pellet rig!

Absolutely gorgeous!! Those are some amazing looking ribs, maybe about the best I've seen. Extremely well done and I applaud you for just putting them in and letting them go. I gave up wrapping ribs several years ago and now wonder why I eve did it. Probably because I read it here :emoji_laughing: No doubt those look super juicy so no moisture lost during cooking, that's for sure.

I drag my package of Choice Tomahawk ribs

If that's what was written on the package I wonder if they weren't cut from a 103 sub primal rib section...ie: prime rib. If you wanna see a whole 7 bone section cooked to perfection, go back and check out Jake's ( TNJAKE TNJAKE ) TN gathering thread. For my contribution to the gathering I sent those as well as a few other goodies being that I was on vacation and had no intention of cooking :emoji_astonished: Those ribs he did were off the hook...and I just happen to have another full rack in the freezer :emoji_wink:

I'd have to say these were better but I may be a bit biased :emoji_wink:

You sir have every right to be biased...and very proud. I know I would be.

Robert

Man oh man Tex that is pure MONEY! Nice work......Once you have had these you second guess brisket at times......

Reactions: outwest
Also goes to show you can absolutely get a smoke ring on a pellet rig!

Thanks you for the kind words, Yeah I've always gotten a smoke ring when cooking with pellet cookers. Only thing I've not gotten a smoke ring with is electric rigs (but I have had amazing Q cooked in electric rigs - so smoke rings are cool, but not mandatory :emoji_yum:)

If that's what was written on the package I wonder if they weren't cut from a 103 sub primal rib section...ie: prime rib. If you wanna see a whole 7 bone section cooked to perfection, go back and check out Jake's ( TNJAKE TNJAKE ) TN gathering thread. For my contribution to the gathering I sent those as well as a few other goodies being that I was on vacation and had no intention of cooking :emoji_astonished: Those ribs he did were off the hook...and I just happen to have another full rack in the freezer :emoji_wink:

Thanks Robert, yeah I'm gonna dig TNJAKE TNJAKE post up at some point now that these are on my radar. Maybe Jake will come along and post a link here so we can all look back at those epic ribs he cook! :emoji_wink:

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

What a beautiful thing to see! Juicy perfectly smoked dino ribs are just about my favorite meat to sit down to, yours look absolutely astonishing, great piece of work! RAY

Those look totally awesome nice job. Bet now you wished you had snagged those other packages :emoji_laughing:

Wow! That looks amazing! I don’t think you can get much better than that! Incredible cook and really great write up!

You nailed it! Those are cooked perfectly love the activated charcoal rubs on beef. Good job getting the membrane off. For some reason I’ve always struggled to get it off dino ribs. The choice to just smoke in my book was a good one. I find them so well marbled and tender nothing fancy is needed to tenderize. I still remember my first rack when the immediately rocketed you to the top of my favorite list for smoked beef. I have 4 double rack packs in the freezer to get on soon. May do a couple of those and pastrami when my Lang refurbish is done.

Dang bud those look fire. Sorry I been in rural Mississippi with no phone signal this weekend. You nailed those ribs though and I'm a huge fan of the HC Black myself. Try it on a chuck roast lol

Oh Lordy! That some good looking stuff right there! Plate..? I'd eat em right off the cutting board!
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky