Wagyu Brisket and sandwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQWill

Original poster
Jun 15, 2021
Took a shot at smoking a Wagyu Brisket (from Snake River Farms, ~10lbs after it was trimmed).

Followed Franklin BBQ recipe as best I could - salt & pepper rub and smoke (oak wood).
Smoked for about 8+ hours at around 250' then wrapped in butcher paper after stall and back on the heat at 270' for another 4+ hours. Total cook time = 13 hrs.

Used an Oklahoma Joe Highland reverse flow.

I was done with A LOT of time to spare, so I let the meat rest for about a little bit and then placed it in a cooler for about 6 hours. It was my first time smoking a wagyu brisket and I wanted to make sure I had enough time to cook and be ready for guests...I guess I could have started a bit later.

I was concerned that the meat would not be right after being in the cooler for that long but it was damn good. Very tender but not mushy.

I made some sandwiches inspired by the Z-Man sandwich - brioche rolls, provolone, brisket, bbq sauce, coleslaw, pickles, french-fried onions, matchstick french fries.

Did not disappoint.

brisket 1.jpg
brisket 2.jpg
brisket 3.jpg
brisket 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work and that is a samich I would gladly enjoy!

PS like your 36" Thermador you have there! Yes I spied it.

Reactions: motocrash
Good lookin' brisket you have! and the sandwich looks great! Glad everything turned out well. I'm sure it was a little stressful worrying about a wagyu coming out right! Congrats!

Fantastic looking brisket Will, I bet that hit the spot.

Point for sure
Chris

Good cook man, and great looking sammich! A lot of fire tending on a Highland RF....
I guess I could have started a bit later.
You did right, if you would have started later it would have cooked different. They have a mind of their own. Though, the general rule that I've seen on here is the Wagyu's do cook quicker. I stick with my original statement, better way too soon than the late.

I’ve done 9 hour holds in a cooler before, it’s amazing how well it holds up.

So. It looks fantastic. But the expensive question. Do you feel it was worth the extra $ over a prime brisket? I ask because I’m down to one brisket in the chest freezer.

Reactions: nicefly
I’ve done 9 hour holds in a cooler before, it’s amazing how well it holds up.

So. It looks fantastic. But the expensive question. Do you feel it was worth the extra $ over a prime brisket? I ask because I’m down to one brisket in the chest freezer.
Tough to say. I feel that this was the best brisket I cooked, meaning I was able to focus all of my energy and time to this particular cook and was really able to maintain temps well.

I've cooked a few other briskets before that were good, but the temp fluctuated a lot on those.

I would like to cook 2 briskets at the same time - 1 prime, 1 wagyu - and taste the difference.

That being said, the crowd I had over to enjoy this brisket are no strangers to BBQ and thought it was one of the best briskets they had eaten - home smoked or restaurant.

I would certainly smoke a Wagyu again, but maybe save it for a special occasion.

Oh man that is a great looking brisket. And that sammich......What can be said about it....Pure perfection!

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky