Wagyu Brisket and sandwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQWill

Original poster
Jun 15, 2021
Took a shot at smoking a Wagyu Brisket (from Snake River Farms, ~10lbs after it was trimmed).

Followed Franklin BBQ recipe as best I could - salt & pepper rub and smoke (oak wood).
Smoked for about 8+ hours at around 250' then wrapped in butcher paper after stall and back on the heat at 270' for another 4+ hours. Total cook time = 13 hrs.

Used an Oklahoma Joe Highland reverse flow.

I was done with A LOT of time to spare, so I let the meat rest for about a little bit and then placed it in a cooler for about 6 hours. It was my first time smoking a wagyu brisket and I wanted to make sure I had enough time to cook and be ready for guests...I guess I could have started a bit later.

I was concerned that the meat would not be right after being in the cooler for that long but it was damn good. Very tender but not mushy.

I made some sandwiches inspired by the Z-Man sandwich - brioche rolls, provolone, brisket, bbq sauce, coleslaw, pickles, french-fried onions, matchstick french fries.

Did not disappoint.

brisket 1.jpg
brisket 2.jpg
brisket 3.jpg
brisket 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work and that is a samich I would gladly enjoy!

PS like your 36" Thermador you have there! Yes I spied it.

Reactions: motocrash
Good lookin' brisket you have! and the sandwich looks great! Glad everything turned out well. I'm sure it was a little stressful worrying about a wagyu coming out right! Congrats!

Fantastic looking brisket Will, I bet that hit the spot.

Point for sure
Chris

Good cook man, and great looking sammich! A lot of fire tending on a Highland RF....
I guess I could have started a bit later.
You did right, if you would have started later it would have cooked different. They have a mind of their own. Though, the general rule that I've seen on here is the Wagyu's do cook quicker. I stick with my original statement, better way too soon than the late.

I’ve done 9 hour holds in a cooler before, it’s amazing how well it holds up.

So. It looks fantastic. But the expensive question. Do you feel it was worth the extra $ over a prime brisket? I ask because I’m down to one brisket in the chest freezer.

Reactions: nicefly
I’ve done 9 hour holds in a cooler before, it’s amazing how well it holds up.

So. It looks fantastic. But the expensive question. Do you feel it was worth the extra $ over a prime brisket? I ask because I’m down to one brisket in the chest freezer.
Tough to say. I feel that this was the best brisket I cooked, meaning I was able to focus all of my energy and time to this particular cook and was really able to maintain temps well.

I've cooked a few other briskets before that were good, but the temp fluctuated a lot on those.

I would like to cook 2 briskets at the same time - 1 prime, 1 wagyu - and taste the difference.

That being said, the crowd I had over to enjoy this brisket are no strangers to BBQ and thought it was one of the best briskets they had eaten - home smoked or restaurant.

I would certainly smoke a Wagyu again, but maybe save it for a special occasion.

Oh man that is a great looking brisket. And that sammich......What can be said about it....Pure perfection!

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky