1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

venison Jerky in the smoker

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by grouse, Dec 13, 2013.

1. grouse

grouse Fire Starter

20lbs of various hot jerky for a friend up top.

5lbs with red pepper flakes

5lbs of cracked black pepper

5lbs of korean red pepper flakes

5lbs on ancho chili powder 

20lbs of my Jerky down on the bottom layers.

Pretty much the same for my jerky

My friend said he wanted a pound of jerky.  So i was not expecting 20lbs.  Never the less. we will see how it goes.  I am smoking it at 90f. and using the amazn 5x8 pellet smoker 1/2 oak and 1/2 cherry. 

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

That's a pile of jerky! Looks good!

3. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Impressive!

4. Looks excellent!  I'm a fan of heat when it comes to jerky, how is the korean red pepper different from the typical red pepper flakes used on pizza, etc.?

5. grouse

grouse Fire Starter

Aside from the taste. The korean has a milder flavor with a bit more heat. The grind is a big difference.  The first pic is the korean alone. 

the next is the two together

As for the taste on the jerky, Well I will see when it is done. 

6. Grouse, thanks for posting the photo comparison.  We have an asian market nearby and I might pop in there and see what they have.  My jerky is a never ending experiment of flavors...in nearly 20 years I'm not sure I've ever really made the exact same recipe twice.  I just always find something new to add whether a wet brine or dry rub.  My latest on-the-fly recipe included Buffalo Wild Wings (hot wings restaurant chain), "Asian Zing" Wing Sauce.  Holy smokes did I stumble onto something - my last batch of jerky was a 'thank you' gift and it had to be one of the best batches I've made in a long time.

Check it out:  http://www.buffalowildwings.com/en/menu/wings/

-Tom

7. grouse

grouse Fire Starter

No a problem,  I did a mix of penzy's spices "ancho chili" and  chopped up thai burpa peppers for a friend.  When i hung that batch, i could smell heaven. 

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  8. grouse

grouse Fire Starter

My jerky is done.  My friends is needs more work. 

Here is mine