venison Jerky in the smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grouse

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
connecticut USA
20lbs of various hot jerky for a friend up top.

5lbs with red pepper flakes

5lbs of cracked black pepper

5lbs of korean red pepper flakes

5lbs on ancho chili powder 

20lbs of my Jerky down on the bottom layers.

Pretty much the same for my jerky

My friend said he wanted a pound of jerky.  So i was not expecting 20lbs.  Never the less. we will see how it goes.  I am smoking it at 90f. and using the amazn 5x8 pellet smoker 1/2 oak and 1/2 cherry. 

Looks excellent!  I'm a fan of heat when it comes to jerky, how is the korean red pepper different from the typical red pepper flakes used on pizza, etc.?

Looks excellent!  I'm a fan of heat when it comes to jerky, how is the korean red pepper different from the typical red pepper flakes used on pizza, etc.?
Aside from the taste. The korean has a milder flavor with a bit more heat. The grind is a big difference.  The first pic is the korean alone. 

the next is the two together

As for the taste on the jerky, Well I will see when it is done. 

Grouse, thanks for posting the photo comparison.  We have an asian market nearby and I might pop in there and see what they have.  My jerky is a never ending experiment of flavors...in nearly 20 years I'm not sure I've ever really made the exact same recipe twice.  I just always find something new to add whether a wet brine or dry rub.  My latest on-the-fly recipe included Buffalo Wild Wings (hot wings restaurant chain), "Asian Zing" Wing Sauce.  Holy smokes did I stumble onto something - my last batch of jerky was a 'thank you' gift and it had to be one of the best batches I've made in a long time.

Check it out:  http://www.buffalowildwings.com/en/menu/wings/

-Tom

Grouse, thanks for posting the photo comparison.  We have an asian market nearby and I might pop in there and see what they have.  My jerky is a never ending experiment of flavors...in nearly 20 years I'm not sure I've ever really made the exact same recipe twice.  I just always find something new to add whether a wet brine or dry rub.  My latest on-the-fly recipe included Buffalo Wild Wings (hot wings restaurant chain), "Asian Zing" Wing Sauce.  Holy smokes did I stumble onto something - my last batch of jerky was a 'thank you' gift and it had to be one of the best batches I've made in a long time.

Check it out:  http://www.buffalowildwings.com/en/menu/wings/

-Tom
No a problem,  I did a mix of penzy's spices "ancho chili" and  chopped up thai burpa peppers for a friend.  When i hung that batch, i could smell heaven. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky