Tri-Tip Reverse Seared

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I had no idea T.T. were so hard to get in other states, can't you ask your local butcher to cut some for you? or does that make them cost prohibitive?
Out here in the land of "EXPENSIVE", we can buy them in 10 to 20lb bags, that's untrimmed for less than $2.70 per pound if you shop the sales. We can't even buy good burger at those prices so I grind T.T. for burgers, and let me tell you T.T. burgers are amazing. Not so many yrs ago you could buy trimmed T.T. at those prices. Which is why so many people started grilling them, now that they are as popular as they are you often see trimmed prices and $5 to $7 per pound, which makes me sick.

How about Ball Tip roasts are they any easier to find than T.T. in other states?
I actually like Ball Tips better than T.T's on the grill but they don't go on sale nearly as often as T.T. does and can cost $1-$2 more per pound. I think I need a few cattle, growing up in cattle country that's all we ever ate was homegrown beef and it was flat-out amazing stuff, I miss the old California so much, this new version of CA SUCKS way more than most of you could ever imagine!!!

Awesome looking TT!
Wish we could get them that cheap down here!
Al
Thanks Al. What do they run in your parts?

You have to special order them here & the last time I bought one it was about $9 a lb.
I can get Prime rib cheaper than that!
Al

Butcher runs me about $13/lb. Costco is $6/lb. As much as I love my butcher....gotta use the common sense

I also find it very odd that this cut is so regional. Are there cuts that are like this as well?

Reactions: forktender
No TT around here either. My first taste of TT was at the NC gathering this weekend and was told they are just now showing up in that area.

Warren

That brings up an interesting question: If one Costco carries this, don't all of them carry it?
I doubt it, we have three Costco's within a 25 to 30 mile radius, two of them within 10 miles each other and all three carry different stuff. I can only get pork belly at one of them and brisket at two of them it's weird. I love Costco but damn, I can't get out of that store without spending $200 so I try not to go there more than once a month, we just don't have the money these days.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky