• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

To wrap or not to wrap that is the question...

Bbqqwn

Joined Jan 18, 2020
So I'm smoking PP. Questions is should I wrap it at the stall, if so should I wrap with foil or butcher paper?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

WildewoodBBQ

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 3, 2020
I’ve done it both ways.. wrapping can’t hurt it, neither can leaving it unwrapped. Since you are doing two, you could wrap one and leave one unwrapped and see if you notice a difference or a preference.

jake0531

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 10, 2017
Since you got two butts, wrap one and leave the other unwrapped and see what you like

thirdeye

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 1, 2019
So I'm smoking PP. Questions is should I wrap it at the stall, if so should I wrap with foil or butcher paper?
Thanks in advance!
Unless I am cooking at a very low pit temp, for like 15 or 16 hours, I wrap when I get the color I want, mostly because I like the texture of the meat and the foil juices. However, foil or butcher paper are NOT your only choice.... you can do what I call a hybrid wrap.

This is where you lay out your foil on a sheet pan, add whatever goodies and liquid you like to use (the edges of the sheet pan prevent liquid from running off the foil) then lay a piece of butcher paper over the meat. Trim it to the size of the foil, and roll the foil and the butcher paper together making a seal. Now you have the protection of foil on the bottom and the breath-ability of the butcher paper on top.

phantom krankor

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 15, 2014
I tend to wrap and put into a disposable dish as well one I get the color, mainly for ease of keeping the meat moist, and for cleaning. Never got any complaints :emoji_sunglasses:

Bbqqwn

Joined Jan 18, 2020
So I wrapped one in a pan with foil and one in butcher paper. Hubby liked the bark on butcher wrap. All in all a great cook. Next time I'll d othe full cook without wrapping. Thank you everyone for your input, glad to have stumbled on this forum!
View attachment 429085
[/QUOTE]

thirdeye

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 1, 2019
It's all good. Foil is a tool, not a rule. If it fits in with your style of barbecue.... use it.

In a very different setting one evening, many years ago, I asked a competition BBQ cook about foil, and he said "... if you say you don't use foil, you're either lying, or loosing" . On the flipside, competition barbeque is a one-bite world and does not resemble backyard barbecue at all.

Reflecting back about 40 years ago, the first Memphis In May competition was held. The winner used on an old school horizontal barrel cooker, and some foil.

Bbqqwn

Joined Jan 18, 2020
It's all good. Foil is a tool, not a rule. If it fits in with your style of barbecue.... use it.

In a very different setting one evening, many years ago, I asked a competition BBQ cook about foil, and he said "... if you say you don't use foil, you're either lying, or loosing" . On the flipside, competition barbeque is a one-bite world and does not resemble backyard barbecue at all.

Reflecting back about 40 years ago, the first Memphis In May competition was held. The winner used on an old school horizontal barrel cooker, and some foil.

Great perspective and absolutely true!

noboundaries

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
I've wrapped in foil at the stall, at 180F IT, in butcher paper, and no wrap. The bark is absolutely different and unique to each style., from soft (foil stall) to medium (180F IT and butcher paper) to crunchy (no wrap). I usually do no wrap because it it effortless.

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
As said many times it all comes down to your personal preference. Try both ways as said and choose the one that suits your style.

Warren

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Bbqqwn Thanks for the like it is appreciated.

Warren

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.