To wrap or not to wrap that is the question...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bbqqwn

Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Saucier, MS
So I'm smoking PP. Questions is should I wrap it at the stall, if so should I wrap with foil or butcher paper?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20200118_115821.jpg
    20200118_115821.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 20
I’ve done it both ways.. wrapping can’t hurt it, neither can leaving it unwrapped. Since you are doing two, you could wrap one and leave one unwrapped and see if you notice a difference or a preference.

Thank you for your input, great idea!

Sure thing!

Good luck, hope it turns out well for ya!! I just did two this past weekend..

Attachments

• 71941FBB-CCBE-447C-A844-F3A36BB7D3A9.jpeg
    71941FBB-CCBE-447C-A844-F3A36BB7D3A9.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 0A51B88C-7012-4817-8995-22CB0BDCD590.jpeg
    0A51B88C-7012-4817-8995-22CB0BDCD590.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 20
  • D1EB3C52-DFBF-4264-B10B-C986E48C539F.jpeg
    D1EB3C52-DFBF-4264-B10B-C986E48C539F.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 20
So I'm smoking PP. Questions is should I wrap it at the stall, if so should I wrap with foil or butcher paper?
Thanks in advance!

Unless I am cooking at a very low pit temp, for like 15 or 16 hours, I wrap when I get the color I want, mostly because I like the texture of the meat and the foil juices. However, foil or butcher paper are NOT your only choice.... you can do what I call a hybrid wrap.
vwAtWlx.jpg

This is where you lay out your foil on a sheet pan, add whatever goodies and liquid you like to use (the edges of the sheet pan prevent liquid from running off the foil) then lay a piece of butcher paper over the meat. Trim it to the size of the foil, and roll the foil and the butcher paper together making a seal. Now you have the protection of foil on the bottom and the breath-ability of the butcher paper on top.
Z1YgHV7.jpg

I tend to wrap and put into a disposable dish as well one I get the color, mainly for ease of keeping the meat moist, and for cleaning. Never got any complaints :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: Bbqqwn
It's all good. Foil is a tool, not a rule. If it fits in with your style of barbecue.... use it.

In a very different setting one evening, many years ago, I asked a competition BBQ cook about foil, and he said "... if you say you don't use foil, you're either lying, or loosing" . On the flipside, competition barbeque is a one-bite world and does not resemble backyard barbecue at all.

Reflecting back about 40 years ago, the first Memphis In May competition was held. The winner used on an old school horizontal barrel cooker, and some foil.

HmEoibm.jpg

It's all good. Foil is a tool, not a rule. If it fits in with your style of barbecue.... use it.

In a very different setting one evening, many years ago, I asked a competition BBQ cook about foil, and he said "... if you say you don't use foil, you're either lying, or loosing" . On the flipside, competition barbeque is a one-bite world and does not resemble backyard barbecue at all.

Reflecting back about 40 years ago, the first Memphis In May competition was held. The winner used on an old school horizontal barrel cooker, and some foil.

HmEoibm.jpg
Great perspective and absolutely true!

I've wrapped in foil at the stall, at 180F IT, in butcher paper, and no wrap. The bark is absolutely different and unique to each style., from soft (foil stall) to medium (180F IT and butcher paper) to crunchy (no wrap). I usually do no wrap because it it effortless.

Reactions: Bbqqwn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky