this year's harvest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
soooooooooo ... what's everyone planting this year? i'm doing cucumbers - for pickling, along with jalafuegos for stuffed peppers, some radishes for general munching, cayennes for fermented buffalo sauces, and maybe a couple bell peppers to accommodate some recipes i've picked up over the last year. i'm also planning to start some horseradish so i can make some homemade sauce for russian dressing to go with pastrami.

Habaneros, jalapenos, cayenne and bhut jolokia for fermenting and pickling. Cucumbers for eating and pickling. Okra for gumbo, frying and pickling. Beets, diakon radish, tomatoes, and artichokes as well. Have some garlic planted but it hasn't come up yet and it was supposed to already so we'll see.

Reactions: JC in GB
poblanos, probably habaneros and some ghost. The deer started invading in the last couple years so I am actually grassing over the garden. All will have to grow in large pots inside the fenced pool area.

Habaneros, jalapenos, cayenne and bhut jolokia for fermenting and pickling. Cucumbers for eating and pickling. Okra for gumbo, frying and pickling. Beets, diakon radish, tomatoes, and artichokes as well. Have some garlic planted but it hasn't come up yet and it was supposed to already so we'll see.
wow! you've got a lot going on. what cukes are you planting?

wow! you've got a lot going on. what cukes are you planting?

Those ones. I am trying a lot of things. I've tried gardens in the past and have always had mixed results. Last year was going well until my cucumbers got overrun by moth larva. We will see how it goes this year. Going to cover the Cucumber plants at night and treat them with anti moth larva spray.

Peppers: bell, jalapeno, Thai (2), Korean (2), and Scoth Bonnet. Hoping to get some Datil pepper seeds this weekend.
other: tomato, potato, snake melon, summer squash, carrots, radish, green bean, cabbage, onion, ?

Last year was going well until my cucumbers got overrun by moth larva. We will see how it goes this year. Going to cover the Cucumber plants at night and treat them with anti moth larva spray.
I think Bt will control those caterpillars.

Its a golf community, so everything has to maintain a certain aesthetic. In-ground pools are allowed, but have to be approved by the architectural review board. We are lucky in that we have a grandfathered wood privacy fence around ours. Wood fences are no longer allowed, only 4ft black aluminum >70% open. Its crazy, I hate it and we are moving in the next year once my oldest finishes at the community college. Will never live with an HOA again.

Really debating doing some raised beds for cucumbers and tomatoes.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I haven't had a decent tomato in years. It seems as though the seed growers have cross pollinated the taste right out of them trying to "improve" them. Haven't found any with that delicious tomato taste I remember as a kid!

Any help would be appreciated,

John

Reactions: JLeonard
BandCollector BandCollector My dad was my tomato and cuke supplier. He has always had them every summer. I'd routinely stop by their house on the way home from work and get some from him. Now they have moved an hour away (onto my brothers land, and closer to him). So, i've lost my hookup. I was gonna see what he has always planted and go from there.
And I totally know what you mean, seems they always tasted better when I was kid. I'd eat them like an apple with a little salt fresh off the vine!

Jim

I'll plant habaneros and jalapenos like I always do...and Mrs. Red likes something without much heat, so I'll be looking for some kind of mild sweet peppers as well.

Other than that, it's mostly just tomatoes and cukes.

Red

Its a golf community, so everything has to maintain a certain aesthetic. In-ground pools are allowed, but have to be approved by the architectural review board. We are lucky in that we have a grandfathered wood privacy fence around ours. Wood fences are no longer allowed, only 4ft black aluminum >70% open. Its crazy, I hate it and we are moving in the next year once my oldest finishes at the community college. Will never live with an HOA again.
Crazy, I would hate an HOA but now the wife is possibly thinking Bluffton SC for retirement and they are all golf communities and I don't play golf. I like to work on my cars (have a lift in the garage) and I know that is a big no, no in an HOA...Still have a few years though.

Got 2 types of garlic planted last year before the snow hopefully it comes up this year. Last year's garlic crop was a total loss. I want to use that garlic to make some of SmokinAl SmokinAl recipe dill pickles. In addition to the garlic, I am planting pickling cukes, golden beets, and some sweet red peppers. Seeds from Johnny's garlic from Mad River Garlic.

BandCollector BandCollector I know what you mean, seems they always tasted better when I was kid. I'd eat them like an apple with a little salt fresh off the vine!

Jim
Yep! I remember that taste when we kids raided our neighbors' gardens and ate them like apples. I know it wasn't the right thing to do on a summer night and I hate to admit it. But we never destroyed anything in the process.

John

Now that I have my lights for my tower garden I'm going to try and grow NY strip steaks, Brisket, and most importantly EGGS! HA! I'm a little limited what I can grow with this thing. Probably Arugula, Chard, herbs, etc. I have a tiny back yard, but I always have a planter of Tabascos outside, and I'm going to try to grow some cherry peppers this year.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I haven't decided on exactly which tomatoes yet, probably roma or rutgers and some type of beefsteak. Definitely a tomatillo for salsa and a couple cherry tomatoes for the kids. My gardens have green house tops so I will probably start some broccoli soon with the hope to pull them and put in green beans in late spring. Definitely some type of pickling cucumber, probably around 6 plants. My biggest struggle is putting up enough pickles to keep the kids happy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky