Smoked chuck and a day of smoking , pickling and baking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Here comes a long post for a long good day of cooking. I had already planned on most of this food but added the pickled peppers to the mix after finding a great deal at the local Amish produce stand.

First up today was the peppers. I got all of these hot Hungarian peppers for $9.50. These things are really hot and last year were hotter than most the jalapenos around here.
peppers .jpg

I learned my lesson last year and donned gloves to cut these babies up. Last year my hands were on fire for hours lol. I love the pepper coring tool I have. Makes this job a lot easier. Here they all are cut up ready to pickle.
peppers cut.jpg

Into the pickling brine. This is a sugar free take on bread and butter brine but I do add a lot of extra pickling for the allspice, cloves and bay leave flavors. General recipe follows but I always adjust to taste. This makes enough for probably three batches like this. I need to convert it to cups in many cases but put it off each time lol.

• 10 TBSP Kosher Salt
  • 15 cups Splenda
  • 3 cups Swerve Brown
  • 5 cups white vinegar
  • 15 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 10 TBSP mustard seeds
  • 3 1/2 TBSP celery seeds
  • 3 tsp turmeric
  • 4 TBSP onion flakes
  • 1/2 lbs. of pickling spice mix
Boil in the brine until they are nice and soft
peppers in pot.jpg

Here they are all packed up in pint jars. Some for us and some for friends, family and neighbors. These are pretty popular so I will end up making 3 or 4 more batches in the next couple weeks. I got 8 pints total , one is 1/3 empty already lol, lunch break.
peppers in jars 2.jpg

Next up getting the chuck roast in the smoker. Grabbed this Black Angus chuck last week for $3.99 / lbs. Rubbed these three first with horseradish for a binder and then with SPOG , dusted with espresso and crusted with dehydrated onion flakes. Into the 270 using B&B hickory lump and chunks of local hickory wood.
beef in smoker .jpg

I ran at 250F for awhile and then cruised up to 275F. Pulled them around 205F. The bark is very dark from the espresso and the onions caramelized on the bark.
finished beef whole 2.jpg

Here is the beef pulled. It pulled pretty well but the thicker pieces were still a little tight. Flavor is good.

pulled 2.jpg

Next up I am trying out a new toy I bought on clearance at Menards. Kind of an impulse buy but ended up being pretty cool. It's a ceramic bacon cup mold. I was going to do these on my kamado but wheeling it out and a wheel broke off, luckily it didn't tumble and shatter!! Rolled with the punches and did these in the oven at 400F. Didn't get a finish pic as I had way to many things going at once.

bacon cups.jpg

I made some roasted mashed cauliflower and also some roasted brussel sprouts. The cauliflower was 3 heads of cauliflower cut up , tossed with olive oil and roasted in the oven at 400F until starting to brown and soften. Blended with 5 tbsp heavy cream, 3 tbsp butter, 3 oz. cream cheese and about 1/2 cup of sour cream. The brussel sprouts were roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper then finished in a pan with a touch of apple cider vinegar, Swerve sweetener and red pepper flakes. Didn't take pics of these but have them on the plated shot.

I have had the munchies for peanut butter pie so here it is, keto sugar free peanut butter pie.

Crust:
  • 1 3/4 cups almond flour
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup sweetener ( I used Swerve)
  • 6 tbsp melted butter
Mix ingredients and then press into a 9 inch pie pan. Put in the freezer while making the filling.

Filling:
  • 8 oz. softened cream cheese
  • 1 cup of no sugar added creamy peanut butter (no stir variety works best)
  • 1/2 cup of powder Swerve
Mix these with with a mixer until you have a consistent mix. It will be a little crumbly.
  • 1 1/2 cups Heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Beat until you have nice stiff peaks then fold the other mixture in until there are no streaks of separation I topped it with a homemade sugar free chocolate syrup I made awhile ago. Refrigerate until it is nice and firm, you can place it on the freezer for a bit to speed it up. Here it is finished , as you can see I forgot to take a pic before I cut a slice for plating.

whole pie.jpg

Finally it's time to eat. I through together a quick simple salad. A whole boston lettuce head spread open and hollowed some with fresh tomato, green onion, Marzetti Ultimate blue cheese dressing and a healthy sprinkling of gorgonzola cheese.

salad 1.jpg

Here is some of the pulled beef with my fresh pickled peppers, creamy cauliflower mash with sour cream and chives and the brussel sprouts served in a bacon bowl.

plate3.jpg

Here is the pie plated with a little extra chocolate sauce and a frozen sugar free peanut butter cup to dress it up a little.

pie 3.jpg

That's it folks. The beef was tasty. I used some of my smokey au jus I saved from my last beef cook. I freeze it in containers and use as needed. The sides were good and the pie was MONEY!! No one could ID it as sugar free , I would be a fortune on that. Thanks for looking!!

Last edited:
Wow Jeff, that is one masterful piece of work, huge Like! Every thing about the dinner looks wonderful, but that pie is way beyond money, a work of art! RAY

Reactions: jcam222
Grr
I tried to reply and it went away.
Outstanding!
I have to make that desert for my wife. I am not a sweet or chocolate eater.
Wifey goes for the chocolate but avoids sugars. Your recipe will be used for next dish.

Outstanding Job! Roasted Cauliflower is a favorite around here but usually eaten in bite size pieces tossed in EVOO, Minced Garlic and Fresh Thyme an hour or so before roasting. Got to try it pureed to a mash...JJ

WOW! You were busy. Everything looks outstanding. Points for sure! We grow Hungarian wax peppers for canning & freezing. I prefer them over jalapenos.

Oh my God Jeff, once again an absolutely stunning meal my friend. You continually turn out some of the most awe inspiring meals I've ever seen and to think they are all keto friendly just adds to the amazement. Have you ever had any formal culinary training or do you just have a natural God given talent for this?

Awed once again,
Robert

Holy crapola you been busy!! Everything looks great!

My grandfather used to can hot hungarian peppers from the garden every year. Seeing yours takes me back!

Wow Jeff, that is one masterful piece of work, huge Like! Every thing about the dinner looks wonderful, but that pie is way beyond money, a work of art! RAY
Outstanding Job! Roasted Cauliflower is a favorite around here but usually eaten in bite size pieces tossed in EVOO, Minced Garlic and Fresh Thyme an hour or so before roasting. Got to try it pureed to a mash...JJ
WOW! You were busy. Everything looks outstanding. Points for sure! We grow Hungarian wax peppers for canning & freezing. I prefer them over jalapenos.
Geesh, you must have went into food induced coma after that! Excellent spread!
WOW Jeff, you were a busy boy!
Everything looks spectacular!
Al
Very nice meal Jeff. Looks delicious!
OMG!!!
What an Awesome array of Goodies!!
Nice Job, Jeff!!
Like.

Bear
Dang Jeff that is one fantastic lookin' meal brother!

I could even go for seconds just before the food coma kicked in.... :emoji_joy:

BIG LIKE!

John
View attachment 455862

Very well done sir. Beautiful meal all around!
Holy crapola you been busy!! Everything looks great!

My grandfather used to can hot hungarian peppers from the garden every year. Seeing yours takes me back!
Everything looks great
Thanks for the likes and kind words!! It’s was all pretty tasty but the peppers and pie stole the show!!

Oh my God Jeff, once again an absolutely stunning meal my friend. You continually turn out some of the most awe inspiring meals I've ever seen and to think they are all keto friendly just adds to the amazement. Have you ever had any formal culinary training or do you just have a natural God given talent for this?

Awed once again,
Robert
Thanks Robert. No training of any kind. Have cooked and grilled for years. Has really been a passion for the last few years and I always thought my food was far better than my pics of it. Made a decision last year to get better at plating. I devour pics of plating online and from magazines and seem to retain a little of it :)

Grr
I tried to reply and it went away.
Outstanding!
I have to make that desert for my wife. I am not a sweet or chocolate eater.
Wifey goes for the chocolate but avoids sugars. Your recipe will be used for next dish.
Let me know what you think. I’ve gotten rave reviews on the pie. I posted a knockoff Keto Starbucks lemon loaf here awhile back. If she likes stuff like that I highly recommend it too. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/keto-starbucks-lemon-loaf-knock-off.296857/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky