The Gift of Grits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
:emoji_sunglasses: I could eat grits everyday but I try to treat myself every once and a while.

JR

Agreed, they are great. If you haven't had it yet, and really feel like getting crazy try some grits a ya ya.

If they are Stone Ground from the whole kernel corn, the Grits should be stored in the Refer or freezer. The oils in the Germ goes Rancid stored at room temp. Of course, if you are a Convert and will kill both those bags in the next couple weeks, you will eat them before they spoil...JJ

If they are Stone Ground from the whole kernel corn, the Grits should be stored in the Refer or freezer. The oils in the Germ goes Rancid stored at room temp. Of course, if you are a Convert and will kill both those bags in the next couple weeks, you will eat them before they spoil...JJ
Thanks JJ. I’ve got them in the fridge.

JR

I’ll have to research the difference in white versus yellow. I’m guessing it’s how much they are processed.

I'm not a grit expert by any means but I do love them. I'd eaten them a couple times in VA where I grew up but fell in love with them on a bus trip my grandmother took me on through the south when I was in junior high school. They were known as "Georgia Ice Cream". I had no clue so ordered them for dessert one night after dinner. That was the beginning of a love affair!!

I can only guess that the difference between yellow and white grits is that one is made from yellow corn, and the other from white corn. Regardless, hominy grits is where it's at!!

Robert

Agreed, they are great. If you haven't had it yet, and really feel like getting crazy try some grits a ya ya.

Sounds really good. Gonna have to give this a try.
Thanks,
JR

I'm not a grit expert by any means but I do love them. I'd eaten them a couple times in VA where I grew up but fell in love with them on a bus trip my grandmother took me on through the south when I was in junior high school. They were known as "Georgia Ice Cream". I had no clue so ordered them for dessert one night after dinner. That was the beginning of a love affair!!

I can only guess that the difference between yellow and white grits is that one is made from yellow corn, and the other from white corn. Regardless, hominy grits is where it's at!!

Robert
You are correct. Corn color determines the color of grits. Slight difference in starch content and slight difference in nutritional value.
My research states there is such a slight difference most grit eaters could not tell the difference.

thanks,
JR

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky