Hatch Chile Enchiladas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great, we eat some form of this most Tuesdays - Taco Tuesdays we call it but we are pretty loose with the definition, heck.... put 3 crunchy tacos on a plate and smash it... that's nachos. 3 soft tacos on a plate and role them up, that's burritos, empty 3 tacos in to a bowl of lettuce, that's a taco salad. The examples go on and on!

Looks great to me. I would love to see that sauce recipe.

I'm no expert, but I have found that Mexican food varies by region. It's not all the same, and kind of like what people call "Chinese food" in America is often food that was created for Americans, not actually Chinese food that Chinese people eat. A lot of the chain Mexican restaurants are like that. Thats why you see the exact same foods even accross different restaurants. It's what Americans are accustomed to, generally. The authentic cuisines are often found at the places where you can barely communicate with the staff in English, and sometimes have to order and "hope" you picked well!

I have always found it interesting that there seldom seems to be onions in "Mexican" food. Sure, you'll see them in fajitas, but I dont think that is technically Mexican.

I dont see a problem taking your own route making variations that suit you. I too prefer flour to corn tortillas when its a soft tortilla, but I LOVE crunchy corn tacos (also not something mexicans usually do for themselves from what I see). They are such a pain in the rear to stuff at home, so we just stopped trying. When we're out at a restaurant, thats when I will order hard tacos sometimes to get my fix.

I never understood the floppy corn tortilla tacos. They are usually way too small and often have to be served double layer because a single layer wont hold up to filling with any moisture. And the corn flavor usually competes with the food, where the flour tortillas kind of get out of the way of the flavor of the filling...in my opinion. But without a doubt, corn tortillas are the choice for more "authentic" Mexican food.

Terrific Robert! That plate might not win any artistic awards, but for my money there ain't nothing wrong with simple and delicious! Mrs. Red and I teamed up and made some enchiladas just a few days ago...ours looked almost as good as yours! And I'm with you on tortillas - I much prefer flour to corn.

Red

I'm no expert, but I have found that Mexican food varies by region. It's not all the same, and kind of like what people call "Chinese food" in America is often food that was created for Americans, not actually Chinese food that Chinese people eat. A lot of the chain Mexican restaurants are like that. Thats why you see the exact same foods even accross different restaurants. It's what Americans are accustomed to, generally. The authentic cuisines are often found at the places where you can barely communicate with the staff in English, and sometimes have to order and "hope" you picked well!

I have always found it interesting that there seldom seems to be onions in "Mexican" food. Sure, you'll see them in fajitas, but I dont think that is technically Mexican.

I dont see a problem taking your own route making variations that suit you. I too prefer flour to corn tortillas when its a soft tortilla, but I LOVE crunchy corn tacos (also not something mexicans usually do for themselves from what I see). They are such a pain in the rear to stuff at home, so we just stopped trying. When we're out at a restaurant, thats when I will order hard tacos sometimes to get my fix.

I never understood the floppy corn tortilla tacos. They are usually way too small and often have to be served double layer because a single layer wont hold up to filling with any moisture. And the corn flavor usually competes with the food, where the flour tortillas kind of get out of the way of the flavor of the filling...in my opinion. But without a doubt, corn tortillas are the choice for more "authentic" Mexican food.
If you lightly oil a pan or griddle and toss the corn tortillas on there for a few minutes flipping them until they start to steam and bubble they will hold up very well. You can stuff them, take them to bed, watch TV, eat them later etc and no problem. I prefer them for pork street tacos. I'll make up a box of 20 for the family to take out by the pool and just snack on all afternoon.

Reactions: LhornR
If you lightly oil a pan or griddle and toss the corn tortillas on there for a few minutes flipping them until they start to steam and bubble they will hold up very well. You can stuff them, take them to bed, watch TV, eat them later etc and no problem. I prefer them for pork street tacos. I'll make up a box of 20 for the family to take out by the pool and just snack on all afternoon.

In my late teens I worked at a Mexican restaurant in which the owners would travel to Mexico and bring back recipes and decorations for the restaurant. They had a favorite region there but I dont remember where it was.

I was the head cook and for enchilada's we would grab a small stack of corn tortilla's with tongs and dip them in the deep fryer for a few seconds. Then take one and roll up the beef, chicken or cheese...pour the sauce over top and sprinkle heavily with a cheese blend...cheddar and Monterey Jack if I recall. Then it was in the broiler to melt and brown the cheese.

We had the standard burrito's with beef and refried beans. The beef Picadillo used for those and tacos was shredded beef chunk and hamburger simmered in a tomato based sauce.

My favorite was the Chile Verde burrito's. That was simmered beef and pork cubes with tomatoes and chiles until the meat would fall apart tender. Then you make a burrito with it and pour more on top and into the broiler.

Our Chile Relleno's were large hatch type chiles with a long chunk of the Jack cheese inside then egg battered and fried. I hated making them as the egg batter had to be kept chilled and whipped just right because it was the owners favorite. And of course they would walk around the dining area recommending them to all the customers...ahhhhhhh! Then just because they weren't a PITA enough...one busy Saturday night one of the prep guys lost a bandaid off his finger while stuffing them. We had to go out and grab the ones we had already served to throw away along with all the others that were pre-made already :emoji_weary:

Reactions: philpom
Robert @ tx smoker I would love a link or your recipe for both the enchilada sauce and taco seasoning.
No link, just copy and paste the recipe from my big black book. Recipes will be at the end of this reply.
Meal looks great and I really enjoy your posts. You have a real talent and your detailed posts have inspired me to try some new recipes and ingredients
Thank you very much for the kind words. Glad to have been an inspiration for insanity, in whatever form it make take :emoji_laughing: Not too sure about the talent concept, I just have a weird way of thinking in obscure ways. I do appreciate the accolades though.
Post links to the enchilada sauce and taco seasoning please.
Gotcha Keith see below. No links, just copy and paste.

The enchilada sauce:

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons flour (whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and gluten-free flour blends all work!)
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon guajillo pepper
1 teaspoon ancho pepper
½ teaspoon arbol pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

This sauce comes together quickly once you get started, so measure the dry ingredients (the flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper spices, and optional cinnamon) into a small bowl and place it near the stove. Place the tomato paste and broth near the stove as well.

In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, warm the oil until it’s it’s hot enough that a light sprinkle of the flour/spice mixture sizzles on contact. This might take a couple of minutes, so be patient and don’t step away from the stove!

Once it’s ready, pour in the flour and spice mixture. While whisking constantly, cook until fragrant and slightly deepened in color, about 1 minute. Whisk the tomato paste into the mixture, then slowly pour in the broth while whisking constantly to remove any lumps.

Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, whisking often, for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened a bit and a spoon encounters some resistance as you stir it.

Remove from heat, then whisk in the vinegar and season to taste with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Add more salt, if necessary

And the taco seasoning:

4 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1 T coriander
1 T paprika (smoked is best)
1 T salt
1 ½ t garlic powder
2 t dried onion*
1 t oregano* (Mexican if you have it)
1 t black pepper
1 T corn starch
2 t crushed red pepper*
1 t guajillo pepper**
½ t arbol pepper**

* lightly pulse in a spice grinder

** can use 1 t cayenne instead if preferred

Mix all spices. Add 3 T per per pound of meat and adjust according to taste. Recommend making a double batch if you like tacos a lot. This does not make much. After adding the seasoning to the meat, add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water for a nice sauciness.

Sorry for the late response folks. Life has once again gotten in the way the past few days.

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
Heck Yeah! Looks delicious. That was going to be my next Hatch Pepper dish. That last dish I made I used some hot ones and man it was about to much heat. Kind of ended my Hatch Chiles for the year.
Thanks so much for the kind words Brian. I've used a ton of the hatch peppers this year and Tracy even commented last night what great uses for them we've enjoyed. The fresh ones are gone but I think I can still get dried ones. Might go and load up on them. From my perspective the hot ones do bring a nice heat but not overly so, but have not tried any of them this year. They may change a bit from one season to the next.

Robert

dear tx smoker tx smoker

the results of the DNA test came back. You ARE my dad. I'll be moving in next week with my brother chilerelleno

Make extra enchiladas for the big moving party!
Jeez, just when I thought I'd gotten all the bad news I could take for a week and now this :emoji_laughing: I do appreciate the kind words and the extended family. Of course y'all are welcome any time. You and John may have to share the trundle bed though and can fight it out on who will be on top :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Robert, those look pretty danged good and I'd not turn a plate down.
Thanks buddy. I appreciate it. Just don't forget who it was that learned me a bit about creating Mexican flavors :emoji_wink: BTW, you never replied to my answer about the Mexican oregano and bay leaves in a recent thread.
But... A real Texan would know that enchiladas are made with corn, not flour tortillas.
I wasn't born in TX but got here as fast as I could....and hated corn tortillas long before showing up in the Lone Star State :emoji_wink:
Hope I didn't forfeit my plate. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
No sir, you're golden and will never walk away from our table hangry :emoji_astonished:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: chilerelleno
Looks great, we eat some form of this most Tuesdays - Taco Tuesdays we call it but we are pretty loose with the definition, heck.... put 3 crunchy tacos on a plate and smash it... that's nachos. 3 soft tacos on a plate and role them up, that's burritos, empty 3 tacos in to a bowl of lettuce, that's a taco salad. The examples go on and on!
Very much appreciate the kind words. Yep, there are about a zillion options and we love them all. Sort of like the endless options of pasta and red sauce. Call it whatever you want but it's still pasta and red sauce :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: philpom
I've been craving enchiladas for week ls now. Those look great!
The kind words are greatly appreciated. Maybe it's time to get into the kitchen and create a Mexican marvel. If interested, the recipes for the enchilada sauce and taco seasoning are posted back on reply #29.

Robert

Thanks very much. I'm honored that you would like the recipe(s). They are posted in reply #29 in this thread.
I'm no expert, but I have found that Mexican food varies by region.
You're absolutely correct. I can't accurately state the differences from one region to another, but there are without doubt different styles.Many of the Mexican restaurants in this area will include their particular style (or region) in the name of the restaurant.
I too prefer flour to corn tortillas when its a soft tortilla, but I LOVE crunchy corn tacos
Ok, you got me. Guilty as charged :emoji_wink: I also don't mind corn tortilla chips for dipping or just munching on.
And the corn flavor usually competes with the food
No question and it's just not a friendly competition :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Reactions: chef k-dude
Terrific Robert! That plate might not win any artistic awards, but for my money there ain't nothing wrong with simple and delicious!
Thanks so much my friend. As you know, I've managed to post some really ugly but really tasty meals recently.
Mrs. Red and I teamed up and made some enchiladas just a few days ago...ours looked almost as good as yours!
Oh come on now Red. I've seen what you and Mrs. Red can accomplish and it's some amazing stuff. Yours were probably magazine quality and world class.
And I'm with you on tortillas - I much prefer flour to corn.
YAY!! Our following is growing. Looks like we are up to a group of 4 people now :emoji_laughing: At least I know I'm in some really good company.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: seenred
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky