Hatch Chile Enchiladas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Our Chile Relleno's were large hatch type chiles with a long chunk of the Jack cheese inside then egg battered and fried.
Great story and thanks for sharing. I've tried these a few times in the past and all have been dismal failures. It's a shame too because I love them, just no success trying to make them and have the things come out as they are supposed to.

Robert

Reactions: LhornR
I think I can still get dried ones. Might go and load up on them.
Roasted and than freeze works well. I know you like to use them fresh. I dehydrated some hot and regular last year. Great flavor. You could work them into a spice rub. I been using the hot one to add to dishes for me after I give to my friends as they dont like to spicy.

If you lightly oil a pan or griddle and toss the corn tortillas on there for a few minutes flipping them until they start to steam and bubble they will hold up very well. You can stuff them, take them to bed, watch TV, eat them later etc and no problem. I prefer them for pork street tacos. I'll make up a box of 20 for the family to take out by the pool and just snack on all afternoon.
I guess it varies tortilla to tortilla. I have bought corn tortillas that are somewhat thick and durable, but it seems many of the tortillas I have been served in "authentic" Mexican/Latin American places are tiny, limp and double layered because one would never hold up on its own.

There is a place in the city nearest me that fries their tacos AFTER stuffing them. Outstanding. Light bulb just went on in my head...THAT'S how I should do tacos at home, the hard shells are a pain to fill. Granted, a skillet/griddled taco may not be able to hold shredded lettuce well after cooking, but it is a great way to achieve tacos with easier filling AND use corn tortillas, that in the end, are fried!

Frying them definitely changes the game for me! I love hard corn tacos and nachos. Seems like your method is somewhere in between.
Our Chile Relleno's were large hatch type chiles with a long chunk of the Jack cheese inside then egg battered and fried. I hated making them as the egg batter had to be kept chilled and whipped just right because it was the owners favorite. And of course they would walk around the dining area recommending them to all the customers...ahhhhhhh! Then just because they weren't a PITA enough...one busy Saturday night one of the prep guys lost a bandaid off his finger while stuffing them. We had to go out and grab the ones we had already served to throw away along with all the others that were pre-made already :emoji_weary:
I used to grow poblano's specifically for chili relleno's. I loved them so much at the time I had to start making them at home. I got over that! From charring and peeling the peppers, to the stuffing to the frying...like hard tacos now, I leave that to the restaurants. As I get older, spending so much time in the kitchen is less and less desirable, and tedium is less in favor for me these days. Don't know why, just not as enthused as I used to be. I guess its a "been there done that thing" once I've achieved success with a food or recipe.

The band aid story is great. At least you went around and tried to catch them before someone reported chewing it! My wife found a sheet metal screw in her food at one of our local Mexican places. I quietly reported it to the owner/manager. He was perplexed then remembered there was a service tech working in the walk-in and said that must be where the screw came from.

That told me they are not handling stored food correctly. Nothing should be in the walk-in without a cover. But we still come back. I worked on the stainless metalworking side of restaurant kitchens. Most of them are disgusting. Especially if you are breaking down and cutting equipment apart, you see how poorly they actually clean. Took me years to want to go out to eat after doing that work. Gotta give that immune system some practice though!
Great story and thanks for sharing. I've tried these a few times in the past and all have been dismal failures. It's a shame too because I love them, just no success trying to make them and have the things come out as they are supposed to.

Robert
Relleno's and jalapeno poppers are off my menus completely now, even though I had gone to baking the relleno's. I'm not adverse to deep frying, I keep an easy-clean deep fryer ready to go at all times in the garage and even move it outside in summer when using. I just thought the batter wasn't all that much better fried to make it worth filtering the oil...again.

I used to make a creamy southwestern sauce for both rellenos and poppers. Very different than in any restaurant I've had. But, I leave both to the pro's now and only have them once in a while.

Your enchilada sauce is very close to mine, the biggest difference is I dont have all the fancy peppers. I will have to try adding that splash of vinegar at the end. Enchilada sauce is kind of dark and murky flavored, generally. A touch of sour would be good. That said, I can eat mine, and probably yours with a spoon, like soup!

Reactions: LhornR
Your enchilada sauce is very close to mine, the biggest difference is I dont have all the fancy peppers.
Appreciate the feedback. I wouldn't exactly call the peppers "fancy", just varied. The addition of several different pepper spices adds a depth and complexity that I have not experienced in restaurant enchilada sauces. I played around with that combination quite a it before getting it to where we really like it.

Being that you appear to have a propensity for enchiladas, this was another interesting twist on an "enchilada" that you might get a kick out of :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
It was kind of tongue and cheek on the "fancy", but I actually dont have that variety of dried peppers anymore. I think it's awesome to broaden culinary horizons like that. I've been around the block with a lot of different flavors and spices but somehow ended up back with the basics in the end.

I'll have to take a look at some of your other work. I haven't spent much time here in the last 5 years or so. I just started getting email hits from the site recently drawing my attention back. That enchilada pizza looks fantastic!

Ken (the "K" in the silly K-Dude handle I created back then)

It was kind of tongue and cheek on the "fancy"
I know and apologize if I cam across as being testy. I should have worded that differently so you'd know I was aware of the intent.
but I actually dont have that variety of dried peppers anymore. I think it's awesome to broaden culinary horizons like that.
I actually get most of mine from amazon but am VERY selective in what I get. So much cheap, knock-off junk out there that companies try to pass off as "authentic". I am still a babe in arms where Mexican food is concerned but am making strides to get better and be more creative. Several years ago I was under the tutelage of our good friend chilerelleno chilerelleno and he shared a ton of great info on developing authentic flavors.
That enchilada pizza looks fantastic!
Thank you sir!! That was a lot of fun and really, really good. One of those "creative" takes on Mexican themed food mentioned above :emoji_wink:

Robert

I know and apologize if I cam across as being testy. I should have worded that differently so you'd know I was aware of the intent.

I actually get most of mine from amazon but am VERY selective in what I get. So much cheap, knock-off junk out there that companies try to pass off as "authentic". I am still a babe in arms where Mexican food is concerned but am making strides to get better and be more creative. Several years ago I was under the tutelage of our good friend chilerelleno chilerelleno and he shared a ton of great info on developing authentic flavors.

Thank you sir!! That was a lot of fun and really, really good. One of those "creative" takes on Mexican themed food mentioned above :emoji_wink:

Robert
You're all good, man. I didn't really take what you wrote in a negative way, I was more concerned it was the other way around! The written word can be difficult in conversations and the state of mind of a message recipient plays as much of a role in that of the sender. Emojis can help but I forget to use them:emoji_grin:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky