Thai Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So, I made the Thai Jerky, I was worried about how it would turn out since when I put it in it looked like three day only road kill. I ended up being amazingly surprised like you said we would. This is the most tasty jerky I have ever had and it looks very very appealing. Thanks for sharing this recipe so we can all enjoy it.

So, I made the Thai Jerky, I was worried about how it would turn out since when I put it in it looked like three day only road kill. I ended up being amazingly surprised like you said we would. This is the most tasty jerky I have ever had and it looks very very appealing. Thanks for sharing this recipe so we can all enjoy it.

Great! Glad you like it. Now use it as a base and right before you go into the smoker with it add other spices to tweak it. It's good stuff!

I am not familiar with fish sause. What is in it and what is the taste ?? BTW everything is good with soy.
If I told ya you might run away! Okay I'll tell you. It's the liquid they extract from fermenting fish with salt. It is extremely pungent prior to cooking it. Once cooked all you get is the saltiness from it.

If you've had Thai, Vietnamese, or Korean food you have had fish sauce in the food that you ordered.

I am not familiar with fish sause. What is in it and what is the taste ?? BTW everything is good with soy.

It's a flavor enhancer for foods... It has the UMAMI flavor... We use Red Boat... It doesn't take much... a couple drops for that, "That tastes really good... What is that flavor"... type thing... zips up the flavor ....

http://redboatfishsauce.com/

Hi, Newb again. I have an AMazin basket (15 hours of smoke) for the cold smoke, and a smoker that seems to have a low temp of 200F.  I have one recipe that tells me to cold smoke for 2 hours, and then let it sit at 80F for 24 hours, and another that says to put it in the oven with the oven open for 15 or so hours.
How do I make this work with what I have for gear?  Cold smoke and then oven?  I'm sorry for the questions, I'm really new.  But I'm enthusiastic!

Hi, Newb again. I have an AMazin basket (15 hours of smoke) for the cold smoke, and a smoker that seems to have a low temp of 200F.  I have one recipe that tells me to cold smoke for 2 hours, and then let it sit at 80F for 24 hours, and another that says to put it in the oven with the oven open for 15 or so hours.

How do I make this work with what I have for gear?  Cold smoke and then oven?  I'm sorry for the questions, I'm really new.  But I'm enthusiastic!

What kind of smoker is it? Propane, electric, wood. What's the configuration? Vertical, horizontal? Brand name? There are ways to get temps down but we need more information.

It's a flavor enhancer for foods... It has the UMAMI flavor... We use Red Boat... It doesn't take much... a couple drops for that, "That tastes really good... What is that flavor"... type thing... zips up the flavor ....

http://redboatfishsauce.com/
O boy, I'll have to try it,,,just what I need, another tool to add to the arsenal.

If I told ya you might run away! Okay I'll tell you. It's the liquid they extract from fermenting fish with salt. It is extremely pungent prior to cooking it. Once cooked all you get is the saltiness from it.

If you've had Thai, Vietnamese, or Korean food you have had fish sauce in the food that you ordered.
Thanks, I will have to explore it..,interesting stuff one leans here.

Hi, sorry about lack of details, guess those should be in my signature?  It's a MasterBuilt Pro, Vertical. I use propane for hot smoking.  Thanks
What kind of smoker is it? Propane, electric, wood. What's the configuration? Vertical, horizontal? Brand name? There are ways to get temps down but we need more information.
Hi, sorry about lack of details, guess those should be in my signature?  It's a MasterBuilt Pro, Vertical. I use propane for hot smoking.  Thanks-Elizabeth

Okay since you have a propane unit, use the search feature here and type in "needle valve" that will get you going in the right direction.

I have a vertical Great outdoors Smokey Mountain propane smoker that I use for jerky and sausage. With the needle valve I can get the smoker down as low as 130, and as high as 500+ and anywhere inbetween.

Until you can get that mod done, try cracking the door open and set the burner as low as you can.

Don't know how I missed this one so long!!

That Jerky Looks Great, Case!!
drool.gif
---------------------
points.gif

Just Right !!
icon14.gif

Bear

With the fish sauce having 1300mg of sodium/ serving, do you really need to add cure? It send like allot of sodium.

Thanks for the recipe! The Mrs and I love Thai food. She is actually decent at making it. We will have to give this a go, perhaps some ground Thai chili for a kick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky