Teba Shio with Tater Tots and Elote Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yum
I've got some wings that need to get used up and I've been searching for something ... different.
I even have enough ingredients to make up some Shichimi togarashi

I've made my own seven spice before but I wasn't all that much of a fan of it. ... The Sake Wings as I like to call them are fabulous with just the salt and pepper.. the way the skin crisps is going to burn up most seasonings in the grill or air fryer or oven.. and after they're cooked not much will stick to the crispy skin.. a spicy sauce perhaps.. or a spicy liquid added to the sake might work.

Reactions: Hamdrew
Dang highroller soaking in sake; Nice! Good for removing any off-flavors for meat a little past it's prime, too.

I'm with you on holding off Japanese 7 (or 5 for that matter) spice for chicken or other hot and fast BBQ. That said, I've had great results with cured pork at ~225* for Christmas pulled "ham". I also am a big fan of sechuan pepper in rubs, but it too shines at low n slow.

Reactions: kilo charlie
Dang highroller soaking in sake; Nice! Good for removing any off-flavors for meat a little past it's prime, too.

I'm with you on holding off Japanese 7 (or 5 for that matter) spice for chicken or other hot and fast BBQ. That said, I've had great results with cured pork at ~225* for Christmas pulled "ham". I also am a big fan of sechuan pepper in rubs, but it too shines at low n slow.

Sake is super cheap for me.. about $7 for a 750ml bottle.. and I've tried this with vodka and bourbon and nothing duplicates the color and crispness of the Sake

I guess I hadn't thought about the 7 spice on a pork shoulder.. but now that's added to the list for real.

This is the brand I buy...

20210511_200806.jpg

I guess I hadn't thought about the 7 spice on a pork shoulder.. but now that's added to the list for real.
Christmas I had a cured butt, injected with pineapple juice, rubbed and later foiled with quite a bit of Chinese 5-spice (and pineapple in the foil) for that "pulled ham". Easily stole the show.

I've since done it on a few cured racks of 3:2:1 spares, too. Any jelly is good, but apple butter and pineapple preserves probably compliment it best.

As a born and bread Minnesota boy I have to say those tots look awesome. Tater tot hot dish is great (Minnesota thing, look it up), but those looks incredible!!! I wanna try them. Also am thinking about smoking tthd for dinner... I wonder.

Last edited:
As a born and breed Minnesota boy I have to say those tots look awesome. Tater tot hot dish is great (Minnesota thing, look it up), but those looks incredible!!! I wanna try them. Also am thinking about smoking tthd for dinner... I wonder.
It'll work! And be fabulous! Don't forget the pictures!

Christmas I had a cured butt, injected with pineapple juice, rubbed and later foiled with quite a bit of Chinese 5-spice (and pineapple in the foil) for that "pulled ham". Easily stole the show.

I've since done it on a few cured racks of 3:2:1 spares, too. Any jelly is good, but apple butter and pineapple preserves probably compliment it best.

Curing pork ribs has been on my list since I made pastrami beef ribs awhile back! Nice to know others like to play with their food too!

I've made several pulled hams.. even taught my neighbor how to make one when she decided to learn smoking at the age of 65! Haha!

Curing pork ribs has been on my list since I made pastrami beef ribs awhile back! Nice to know others like to play with their food too!

I've made several pulled hams.. even taught my neighbor how to make one when she decided to learn smoking at the age of 65! Haha!
It's awesome how quick they finish curing, I know Pops said only ~6hrs but I do like ~3 days for STL and 3-7 days for full slabs. Hard to beat "bacon-on-a-stick"

plate.jpg

I haven't fired up my offset in a month (which i really prefer for ribs), ended up with a nearly 4wk cured slab and bad weather on Mother's Day. Ended up making Corned Ribs and Cabbage, better than any corned beef I've ever made by all accounts.. The broth was just SO rich from all those bones & cartilage.

corned ribz.jpg

cornplate.jpg

It's awesome how quick they finish curing, I know Pops said only ~6hrs but I do like ~3 days for STL and 3-7 days for full slabs. Hard to beat "bacon-on-a-stick"

View attachment 496123

I haven't fired up my offset in a month (which i really prefer for ribs), ended up with a nearly 4wk cured slab and bad weather on Mother's Day. Ended up making Corned Ribs and Cabbage, better than any corned beef I've ever made by all accounts.. The broth was just SO rich from all those bones & cartilage.

View attachment 496124
View attachment 496125
Dang! That looks AMAZING!!

I am not a spicing fan for higher temp grilling. I often leave off the cracked black pepper (cbp) as it chars way to easy.
The main components of 5 or 7 spice is hot chilies and Szechuan berries.
I dislike the American version of chili flakes for any dish outside of Italian.
I have Thai and Korean chilies in my pantry that work better for Asian dishes.
A bit of sesame oil with spice powder should help it stick?
Sake is super cheap for me.. about $7 for a 750ml bottle.. and I've tried this with vodka and bourbon and nothing duplicates the color and crispness of the Sake
Diluted brandy would be closer to Sake than diluted vodka or bourbon (ack).

Cured ribs is on my up and coming

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky