Grocery Deli and Wing-Stop Gak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
This goes into the category of "I should have known better".
It's been a very busy few days here lately, and I had a hankering for some chicken wings tonight. Of course, usually I'd make them myself, but just didn't have the time today. So I go down to the local Kroger affiliate deli, where I've seen they have wings. Looking around I do see wings. But they all have some sort of flavoring like Buffalo sauce, salt & vinegar, or "Stingers"-which I assume are extra hot. I ask the deli guy if they have any "regular" wings, with just the normal seasoning like their fried chicken pieces.
Guy just says, "No. We don't normally make that type," and blows me off. In my head, I was hearing Steve Martin saying, "Well, EXCUUUUUSSE ME!!!" Wish it had been out loud.

So I figure there's a Wing-Stop across the street that I haven't tried. I know it's expensive, but it's kinda a last resort at this point. I skip all their flavored wings and order 10 "plain". Get them home and yeah, they're plain alright. No salt, no pepper, no seasoning of any kind. Just cooked chicken meat for $14 and change. And by itself, that is NOT good eats; it was plain disgusting! WTH would they even sell these things???

Hit them with some of my own seasonings to make them edible. But now I know better.

Last edited:
Writing this also reminded me of the time I went to KFC last year to get some wings they had on sale. I soon remembered why as kids we used to call it "Kentucky Fried Pigeon". The wing portions were about the size of the tip of your thumb to the first knuckle.

This remind of when I drove to Utica, NY a few years ago. I figured so close to Buffalo, the wings would be spot on. I'm not bashing the area (which was awesome), but the restaurant. The wings were NOT good. We tried 3 different kinds, and we were all "Ehh!" First thing I did when I got back home, put some hot coals in the Vortex on my Weber, and absolutely destroyed some wings.

This remind of when I drove to Utica, NY a few years ago. I figured so close to Buffalo, the wings would be spot on. I'm not bashing the area (which was awesome), but the restaurant. The wings were NOT good. We tried 3 different kinds, and we were all "Ehh!" First thing I did when I got back home, put some hot coals in the Vortex on my Weber, and absolutely destroyed some wings.
As soon as I get my Weber Performer replaced, that's the first thing I'm going to do.

The Vortex is probably the best accessory I have ever purchased for my Weber. Totally worth the money.
Absolutely true for me. Our temps finally came above freezing and the snow/ice are gone (for now), so I uncovered the Weber yesterday, got the Vortex out, and made wings for NY's eve dinner. Even took a picture of them, but no sense in thread stealing.

If you're interested.. I can point you to some amazing wings that can be made in the air fryer or under the broiler so you don't have to wait for the new Weber

If you're interested.. I can point you to some amazing wings that can be made in the air fryer or under the broiler so you don't have to wait for the new Weber
Sure! A local grocery store was selling these for $99.
Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer 4qt

After Christmas, the price dropped to $30, so my wife bought one.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
I have made 1000's of chicken wings in my time and always searching for the crispiest skin with the juicy inside.. I feel like I hit the jackpot when I discovered a Japanese recipe that's called Teba Shio (Salted Chicken Wings) 手羽先塩焼き - the recipe calls to soak the chicken wings in Sake (which is inexpensive) and then simply season with salt and white pepper. The recipe in the link above says to make them under the broiler, but I have made them many times on the grill, under the broiler and in the air fryer, all with great success! They are not at all spicy, but super crispy! And then you can dunk them in any sauce you'd like for whatever heat level you desire.

The wings are soaked in Sake then removed and patted dry and then salt and pepper.. placing them skin down first in the air fryer (or under broiler) for 10 min at 400F then flip over skin side up at 400 F for another 7 to 10 min - this allows you to see the presentation side of skin up when they are finished!

Here's a set I did on the grill -there's nothing but the Sake and salt and pepper on these babies!

1672613125944.png

this is a link to my original post here on these - https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/teba-shio-with-tater-tots-and-elote-sauce.307750/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky