New England Kettle Style Chicken Cordon Bleu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, it's a fairly nice Saturday, and we decided to have some chicken cooked on the BBQ. We didn't really feel like wings, thighs or drummies. So we decided to go with Cordon Bleu. Here it is, hope you can tolerate the play-by-play.

Started off by butterflying some chicken breasts. Then pounding them flat and even with Thors hammer. Once flattened they went into a pickle juice marinate for about 6 hours.
View attachment 629996
Out of their juice bath and onto a piece of plastic wrap, and patted dry:

View attachment 629997
First layer is the ham:

View attachment 629998
Then the Swiss Cheese:

View attachment 629999

Another layer of ham:

View attachment 630000
The second layer of Swiss:

View attachment 630001

And the final installment of ham:

View attachment 630002

All yodeled up into a nice log. Toothpicks are helping it keep it's shape.

View attachment 630003

Wrap them up in the plastic wrap and spin them to tighten the shape even more. Then into the fridge for a few hours to set up:

View attachment 630004

Fired up the 22" kettle with charcoal baskets and put on a couple of spuds. After the spuds have cooked for 20 mins. on goes the chicken.

View attachment 630005

While the chicken is cooking. I whipped up a Parmesan Dejon sauce. Chicken is done and off the kettle:

View attachment 630009

Sliced up and topped with the sauce:

View attachment 630010

Thanks for taking a peek, Sorry about this one being so pic heavy.

Chris
Lots of oozy goodness.

Reactions: gmc2003
I'm late to the party on this one.....Looks mighty good. Question for ya though....What is the chicken breaded in and how well did it do on the kettle?

Jim
Don't worry Jim. This post is about a year old so it got buried deep in the SMF vaults. The breading is a simple flour, egg-wash, and panko(or regular bread crumbs - cooks choice). It works really well with the high indirect heat. If you do see some spots that aren't browning then give them a shot of Pam or similar spray oil. Just be careful not to spray it into the hot coals. HA It also works well with chicken parm.

Chris

Don't worry Jim. This post is about a year old so it got buried deep in the SMF vaults. The breading is a simple flour, egg-wash, and panko(or regular bread crumbs - cooks choice). It works really well with the high indirect heat. If you do see some spots that aren't browning then give them a shot of Pam or similar spray oil. Just be careful not to spray it into the hot coals. HA It also works well with chicken parm.

Chris
Excellent! Thats what I thought but always like to go to the source for confirmation! Thanks!

Jim

Reactions: gmc2003
Awww , yes I remember this one , nice .
Never too pic heavy for me .
Very good to look back Chris.

David

Thanks David. It's nice to see older posts resurface every once in a while.

Kvgsqtii Kvgsqtii Thanks for the like.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky