1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Swamp Rabbit and Wild Oyster Mushroom Sauce Piquant

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by indaswamp, Feb 8, 2018.

1. A Cajun Classic! I have been eating this recipe since I was a kid tagging along on rabbit hunts with a BB gun @ my grandfather's hunting camp.

We had a good hunt last Saturday...
    20180203_125929_001 (2).jpg

Took my little nephew on his first rabbit hunt. He's still too small to shoulder the gun fast, but he did kill some nutrias.

Wild Oyster Mushrooms grow abundantly here on dead willow...
    [​IMG]
    These were growing right behind the camp. We picked quite a few..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 species-browns, whites, and goldens....all edible. The whites are the most fragrant and delicate. I love 'em all!

Tonight, I'm making a big stew. The classic rabbit sauce piquant.

First-frying the rabbit in bacon fat. The bacon is home made by my buddy. 6 rabbits quartered and fried....

DSC02512.JPG

Then in the same pot, got the veggies braised down to release the drippings then added the wine to reduce...

DSC02511.JPG

Add the rabbit back in along with stock and roux, let it simmer till the rabbit is tender. Made a big pot @ the firehouse and the guys from the hunt are coming eat....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Smoking Fanatic

That’s awesome! Bet that is some good eating. I have a co-worker that loves to use his beagles and get them swampers in southern Arkansas.

3. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit

Man that is awesome!

Great pics and write up. I need to make some something like that, I LOVE cajun and creole food!

4. Add the mushrooms...
    DSC02513.JPG
    DSC02514.JPG

And finally, the secret touch- lemon zest...
    DSC02515.JPG

And let it go for 2~3 hours until done...
    DSC02516.JPG

DSC02517.JPG
    I look forward to this meal every year. I have 4 more rabbits I'm putting up in the freezer to cook this one more time...

5. Thanks.
    It 'Twas a great meal. Great thing about this hunt is we did not need dogs.

6. Thanks man... let me find the recipe and I'll post it.

7. "Snikey's" that looks sooo darn good. You all know how to cook a rabbit for sure. Maybe next year, I can come down pay a visit, bag a few rabbit for you and eat some too?

8. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Now that does look good. I love rabbit stew, but its been ages since I had some.
    Gary

9. 4 swamp rabbits cleaned and quartered
    cajun seasoning mix
    1/2 cup bacon drippings
    2 bay leaves
    1 bottle Burgundy wine
    4 super Lg. white or yellow onions 1/4" dice
    2 medium bell peppers 1/4" dice
    1/2 cup minced garlic
    1/2 bunch celery 1/4" dice
    4~6 cups sliced mushrooms
    (2-4) 16oz. cans Ro-tel tomatoes (original with green chillies) -as much heat as you like this is a spicy dish so kick it up!!
    diced pickled jalapenos to taste
    (1) 20oz. or ~ (1/2) a 2 liter bottle 7-up or Sprite
    2-3 cups dark brown roux
    1 cup thinly sliced green onion tops
    Zest from 1/2 a lemon...finely diced (1/16")
    juice of 1 lemon
    salt, black and red pepper to taste

To cook:
    In a 4 gallon black iron pot, heat bacon drippings on med. high heat. season rabbit liberally with cajun seasoning. Add rabbit to pot in batches and fry. Cook until outside of meat browns and starts to stick. Pull rabbit pieces from pot and set aside. Add bay leaves, white onions and cook until they turn clear, stirring and scraping bottom of pot to keep dripping from scorching. When onions are clear, add bell peppers, garlic, celery and stewed tomatoes. Cook additional 20 minutes, then deglaze pot with burgundy wine scrape bottom of pot to release drippings. Add rabbit back to pot. Reduce wine to 1/2 volume and add ro-tel tomatoes, mushrooms and slowly pour in 7-up...being careful as the carbonation will bubble up -stir constantly until all is incorporated (the carbonic acid helps to tenderize the meat ). Once bubbles settle, add lemon zest bring to a boil. Add roux and stir in...cook for 30 minutes then reduce heat to simmer, keep stirring occasionally and scrap the bottom-do not let burn! Add water as needed to retain volume. Cook for 2 1/2~3 hours until meat is fork tender. Meat is tender when leg bone is easy to move. Add green onions, check salt and pepper add as needed, simmer 20 minutes and serve over hot white rice with a good bottle of Amarone wine and hot french bread.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    chilerelleno likes this.
  10. Thanks tallbm,
    You can make this recipe with both chicken or venison...really just about anything. Substitute 6lbs. of chicken leg quarters or 4lbs. venison stew meat. This is as authentic Cajun as you can get from a hunting camp in the bayou swamps of south Louisiana...

11. Thanks. I can't take credit for this recipe, It's been a camp recipe @ my grandfather's hunting camp for a long, long time...since the club was started back in 1943. And it is a good one.

12. Thanks Gary. Get you some rabbits and make you a stew my friend-you will thank me!

13. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That looks fantastic!
    Thanks for posting the recipe!
    Congrats for getting a ride on the carousel!
    Al

14. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

Looks great! Congratulations on the carousel.
    upload_2018-2-9_9-55-12.png

15. Thanks Al!

16. Thanks Moto!

17. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Looks like a great bowl of soup and a fun time.

Point for sure.

Chris

18. Thanks gmc2003!

19. oddegan

oddegan Smoking Fanatic

That looks pretty fantastic. Makes me miss rabbit hunting. I like how everyone in the group photo is smiling except for the one guy. Did he not get to shoot any rabbits?

20. Some people just do not like to smile...he actually shot the most rabbits. He is a very good shot.

oddegan likes this.