Left-over Jambalaya and White Bean Boulettes with White Remoulade Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
As some of you know, I cooked jambalaya and white beans last week...
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-jambalaya-with-white-beans-and-tasso.273393/

First, the remoulade sauce. This is a white remoulade and the one I grew up on. There are many variations, as you get to New Orleans you will find a more creole mustard based sauce.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/stocks_sauces/stock_sauce57.htm

The Recipe:

Most everyone here cooks a pot of white beans when they cook a jambalaya. This is an old camp favorite to use up the leftovers in an easy-to-pack form to take into the field on the hunt, or serve them up at the fish fry the next day as an appetizer! They go QUICK!!!

Leftover Jambalaya and white bean boulettes (makes about 20 2" balls.)

Boulette batter
1.5~2 quarts leftover jambalaya cold
1 quart leftover white beans (navy) slightly warmed in microwave (this is to loosen the beans to pick the meat out)
1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup fresh sliced green onion tops
1 TBSP Louisiana hot sauce
1 tsp. steen's cane syrup
dash of dried thyme leaves
dash of crushed rosemary leaves
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
salt to taste
cracked black pepper to taste
1 egg lightly beaten
about 1/4 cup french bread crumbs
oil (or bacon grease) for frying

breading
1 egg lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 cup seasoned fish fry

To make:
Place jambalaya in a 4 qt. bowl or pot and break the rice clumps with a spoon or your hands. You want the rice cold so that it will break apart into individual grains instead of mushing out. Sift through and remove all large meat pieces and reserve on a cutting board (discard bones if any). Cut meat into 1/4" dice and return to bowl. Add Bell pepper, green onion, hot sauce, steen's syrup, and seasonings to bowl. Mix well with a large spoon or rubber spatula. Add slightly beaten egg and mix in well. Add slightly warmed white beans to bowl one spoonful at a time and pick large pieces of ham and andouille out and reserve on cutting board. Chop meats into 1/4" dice and return to bowl. stir in beans and meats into mixture. Sprinkle bread crumbs little at a time until mixture tightens and you can make a ball. It depends on how wet or dry the jambalaya rice and white beans are as to how much bread crumbs you will need. Once finished, set aside and make batter and breading.

In a separate bowl or shallow pan, beat egg and milk. In another pan, sift flour, corn starch and fish fry and mix well. (you can make balls or patties. patties are easier to pan fry if you are not deep frying). Take a spoonful of the jambalaya and white bean fritter mix and with your hands, make a ball about 1 1/2~2" dia. rolling it around to uniform shape (rubber gloves recommended) and place ball onto a sheet pan sprinkled with a little flour mix repeat until all balls are formed. Roll each ball in flour mix, then in egg mix, then back into flour mix.

heat oil to 325* and pan fry or deep fry until batter is dark golden brown. serve hot as a camp appetizer with Remoulade sauce or cool them to take in the duck blind the next day.
thumb.gif

You would not think simple beans and rice could taste so good!!!

Pics:
jambalaya with cubed meat green onion, bell pepper...(I used purple and sweet golden I had on hand)
DSC02673.JPG

Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and molasses added along with seasonings...

DSC02674(1).JPG

White beans mixed in with egg and bread crumbs...
DSC02675.JPG

boulettes made..
DSC02677.JPG

battered about to hit the grease...
DSC02678.JPG

Out the fryer...
DSC02681.JPG

With the remoulade...
DSC02682.JPG

I made these at the firehouse tonight as an appetizer....
DSC02680.JPG

Last edited:
All the time I have spent in the deep south, I thought I had had every deep fried delicacy possible, but I don't think I have ever had these! Going to have to remedy that soon, what a great use of left overs!

Two easy ways to know this is an authentic deep south recipe. Certain ingredients must be specified by brand! Steen
s cane syrup. My tuna dip is same way don't even bother making it if you don't have Duke's mayonnaise, lol.

And the final clue: When (or bacon grease) is included as an option for frying!

This post and a couple of other have got me excited, we just booked our April RV spot just west of Lafayette. I intend to do my level best to boost the local food economy while I am there. Mrs "thinks black pepper" is to spicy is just going to have to survive a month so how. LOL. And don't bother explaining to here that Cajun/Creole is flavorful, not spicy, she won't buy it.

Inda, way to maximize you leftovers. That looks really good.

Point for sure.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky