Swamp Rabbit and Wild Oyster Mushroom Sauce Piquant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
<thumbs up>!!!
This recipe works very well with venison too...highly recommended.

We had a great season. Brother killed 2, cousin killed 3, I killed 2. Deer processing day is tuesday.

It looks like a great day to me,from beginning to stew.

I can almost taste the stew. Shotgun hunt, or rifle? Walking or machines? Never been in the swamps but would love to go on a hunt like this.

Wow.... That looks and sounds great.... Sounded like a great time as well, Good for you. Thx for sharing recipe as well, would be good to try.
Congrats on the carousel as well. Definitely worth points....

Last edited:
THANK YOU !!! I know where I failed.. About 45 years ago I shot a "swamp rabbit"... or what my buddies called it.. Anyway, I always ate what I shot.. Cleaned and fried.. braised in beer with onions and garlic.. made a roux gravy and plated it up... I chewed and chewed and chewed... I never could get the meat to break down so I could swallow it.. Heck, the hunk of meat just grew the more I chewed... So I baked a potato and put the gravy on the spud... had to garbage the meat... The gravy was the best I had ever tasted... Now I know where I went wrong... The things one learns on this forum is amazing... Dave...

No problem Dave...
Both the wine and the carbonic acid from the sprite help to tenderize the rabbit. Simmer it for 2 1/2~3 hours until leg bone turns in socket and even tough old rabbits will get tender to the point of meat falling off the bone. I have rarely ever had to cook it over 4 hours.
Ironically, these are called swamp rabbits but they are not rabbits at all, they are hares which are tougher than rabbits. The southern cousin to the snowshoe hare...
You can make this dish with snowshoes and it will be very good.

That looks fantastic, IDS !!!---Like.:)
Haven't had Rabbit in years!!
Mom used to make Rabbit Pie. Yours looks Better!!

Bear

Nice work on the rabbit hunt, those rabbits are huge! Looks like some great fun.

Way to go getting the nephew out there, he looks like he is having a ball with the boys! All the ingredients in that pot look delicious, nice work!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky