SUMMER SAUSAGE NOVICE - HOMERUN

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TinCupTom

Original poster
Oct 21, 2018
B5E9050C-2204-4699-AE14-43EE25C21F6E.jpeg A0207D28-07A8-4A11-A2B9-18A16CF421DE.jpeg D0BD3ACD-3F8B-48EE-B3F5-6D519AB6D779.jpeg 6A771A74-361B-47D8-A7A7-0E599E32177D.jpeg
Thanks to all on this forum from whom I have learned a lot in a short time. Geared up for the inaugural summer sausage production post-Thanksgiving and am pleased to say it was a huge success.

80/20 (Beef & Pork 50/50), Walton’s H Seasoning Unit, ECA, Walton 2.40” x 12” Fibrous casings and amped up the flavor to suit our tastes. Split the meat block in 3 and made German (Heavy on Garlic & Mustard Seed), Chipotle, and Jalapeño Cheddar varieties.

1/8” grind, 20lb LEM meat mixer, Cabelas 11lb stuffer, MPS 45 with 2 AMPT/Hickory.

120 for 2 hours, 145 for 2 hours w/smoke, 165 for 6 hours with smoke, then an hour in the oven to 160F IT. Ice Bath for an hour, bloom in the smoker overnight (30 degrees F) then into the vac-packer.

Truly cannot believe the quality and taste of this homemade sausage. Deer season was successful and now looking forward to converting this process to Venison.

Thanks again to all who post here and have made this first experience such a good one.
Tom

Attachments

• 853BBA77-AC35-4BE5-82D1-D2B090DD77CF.jpeg
    853BBA77-AC35-4BE5-82D1-D2B090DD77CF.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 53
Looks great and a lot of it. Good job. I made S/S over the weekend too but only six pounds. Like you I used a packaged seasoning mix (Butcher & Packer) but jacked up the pepper, garlic and mustard seed to give it more zing.

Tom, that looks amazing!!!!!

I've never made SS but am just now getting into the sausages/sticks. My family also loves jalapeno flavored items. Would you please expand on how many pounds of meat you used and how much cheese that you added per pound?

My meat block was 50% ground beef, 50% pork, both 80% lean. I used Waltons high temp cheddar at 10% of the meat block, also used 50 g of freeze dried/reconstituted jalapeño Per 8lbs meat. Followed Walton’s reconstitution method to the letter. Would probably go a bit heavier on both the jalapeño and cheddar on my next batch.

Tom, that looks amazing!!!!!

I've never made SS but am just now getting into the sausages/sticks. My family also loves jalapeno flavored items. Would you please expand on how many pounds of meat you used and how much cheese that you added per pound?

Tom, I appreciate that. The good news for me is that I actually found a hot pepper cheese that's actually hot. So instead of using jalapenos I plan on just using the cheese.

Reactions: uncle eddie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky