Starting a Sriracha attempt and more peppers!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Finally have enough of the red peppers I want to take a shot at a kicked up Sriracha. Really going to do my own thing and work flavor by taste when blending. Each half gallon is 8 oz red serrano , 1 lbs red jalapeno , 6 oz of red bell and 1 ghost pepper. Serrano and ghost pepper should kick up the heat and I like the red bell to add some natural sweetness. I'll add 3.5% sea salt brine shortly and get to my ferment cupboard space in the basement. I will check taste of the brine at 2 weeks. Once those were packed I cut and vacuum packed 7 more lbs of green jalapeno , 1 lbs of green serrano and put up about 1/2 lbs each white coyote, ghost, scorpion and 1 lbs red habanero. Thanks for looking at my pepper post obsession lol. I'll post th sauce when done.
1000005271-01.jpeg
1000005274-01.jpeg

What fermenting device are you using for your mason jars?
Below are some pics of the airlocks I use. The other pic is an amazing item Steve H Steve H turned me on to. I have tons of glass weight but these things are ingenious. They fit such that when placed inside inverted the lid itself screws on. and holds it down with the contents below it.They make them for both wide and regular mouth jars.
PXL_20230912_181050754.jpg
PXL_20230912_181053537.jpg
PXL_20230912_180122812.jpg

Looks great Jeff
All I have are green jalapeños and no hope to ripen. 37 this morning
I should have tried last year when I had piles of ripe peppers
Have you tried putting the green japs in a brown bag with a ripe tomato for a few days to a week? I've heard it works pretty well. Was an article from the ag dept at a major university

Thanks Steve - I ordered the third choice that includes the pump. I have 60-fresh organic Ghost Peppers just shipped and on their way to me (terrible weather this year here in the Ninth Circle of Hell and my plants died). In the past I have made a simple stove-top hot sauce but I am going to try this fermenting thing on some store bought habaneros first and see how it goes.

I am dreaming of an all Ghost Pepper Sriracha sauce...

Have you tried putting the green japs in a brown bag with a ripe tomato for a few days to a week? I've heard it works pretty well. Was an article from the ag dept at a major university
Only tried that with tomatoes.
Went to the garden tonight and found a few ripening peppers. I picked them and more that are close (frost warning tonight) and bagged with some ripe tomatoes.
Thanks Jeff

Reactions: jcam222
OK - fermenting kit arrived. Now I will spend a few days reading and see if I can figure this out. Looking forward to some hot sauce, a little sauerkraut, and some pickles!

I will try a hot sauce first.

IMG_1919.JPG

OK - fermenting kit arrived. Now I will spend a few days reading and see if I can figure this out. Looking forward to some hot sauce, a little sauerkraut, and some pickles!

I will try a hot sauce first.

View attachment 676021
This chart is super helpful. I highly recommend you do 3.5% brine.
Screenshot_20230722-143605~2.png

The color looks great. I never been a fan of Sriracha. I love hot sauces and have a ton of them but something about it I did not care for? I bet yours is going to be good though!

You going with Huy Jeff or Jeff Fong as the name? I hope it works out. I was at the store just now looking for the Huy Fong and none around.

The color looks great. I never been a fan of Sriracha. I love hot sauces and have a ton of them but something about it I did not care for? I bet yours is going to be good though!
I kinda get where your coming from on the Sriracha but I use it once in a while. Its actually pretty good on a ham sandwich! To me it is just a very sweet, garlic-ee, Fresno pepper hot sauce, but I want to try a Ghost Pepper version for the heck of it.

Otherwise, been reading about fermenting hot peppers and for some reason I thought that fermenting resulted in hot sauce that kept far longer than the stove top version I usually make (which I have always enjoyed), so the fermented hot sauce might not do much for me - we'll see.

Nevertheless, I am down for some home made pickles and sauerkraut and maybe some kimchi - maybe...

Reactions: Steve H and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky