Tons of peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I picked five Trinidad Scopions and dropped them in the freezer bag with the others for a ferment this Fall. They're ripening finally. I've got lots of powders from plants 2016+. With a dedicated grinder I stand outside with my back to the wind grinding dehydrated Ghost, Carolina Reaper and Chipotle style Chocolate Habaneros. Choc Habs are hotter than the orange Habs and have a great fruity, earthy and cumin natural flavor on their own so I smoked/dried a couple hundred or so of them since I needed to preserve them anyway. I got 1,000 Choc Habs from two plants and the next year 500+ Carolina reapers from two plants in pots. Saved spent coffee grounds is the seccret from over the winter coffee drinking and mixed equally with top soil and peat moss or potting soil and a 1/2 cup of Epsom salt per gallon of water every six weeks for the magnesium to uptake all that Nitrogen from the coffee grounds and no need for sand with the coffee. Spice measuring spoons are your dosing friends with the powders. Tad 1/4 tsp, dash 1/8, pinch 1/16 and a smidgen 1/32. A dash of powder is good for a frozen pizza. A smidgen per small slice, taco and burrito.
View attachment 675328

View attachment 675320
You got that many in Illinois?? That's mind boggling! My plants are super healthy and about 4 feet tall but I won't get 500 pods off the 18 plants I have. They just started turning colors for me this past week. I put them out last of May.

You got that many in Illinois?? That's mind boggling! My plants are super healthy and about 4 feet tall but I won't get 500 pods off the 18 plants I have. They just started turning colors for me this past week. I put them out last of May.
Long growing seasons I started indoors late February to Halloween for both these two years. I still had blossom drop from super hot days in a row. But it's the soil mix in pots with coffee grounds, peat moss and top soil for perpetual, big fruits and magnesium, plain Epsom Salt, added to the water monthly/six weeks. Lots of harvesting mid summer with picking once or twice a week on two plants each year.
482.jpg
485.jpg
655.jpg
651.jpg
What I couldn't give away after making a quart of CR fermented hot sauce I dehydrated to fill 2.5 zip lock bags. I have a full bag yet. That's why I haven't grown super hots since 2019 till this years one Trinidad Scorpion plant for a Fall ferment. This one got a late May start. I saw the seedling in a green house Chef Jeff's brand. The Chef Jeff's Bhut Jolokia Ghost Pepper seedling from 2017 was also very good for $3.00 or so.
664.jpg
No I didn't make a Ghost Pepper pie. It was the closest bowl shape to go picking.
497.jpg

Long growing seasons I started indoors late February to Halloween for both these two years. I still had blossom drop from super hot days in a row. But it's the soil mix in pots with coffee grounds, peat moss and top soil for perpetual, big fruits and magnesium, plain Epsom Salt, added to the water monthly/six weeks. Lots of harvesting mid summer with picking once or twice a week on two plants each year.
View attachment 675595
View attachment 675584
View attachment 675585
View attachment 675586
What I couldn't give away after making a quart of CR fermented hot sauce I dehydrated to fill 2.5 zip lock bags. I have a full bag yet. That's why I haven't grown super hots since 2019 till this years one Trinidad Scorpion plant for a Fall ferment. This one got a late May start. I saw the seedling in a green house Chef Jeff's brand. The Chef Jeff's Bhut Jolokia Ghost Pepper seedling from 2017 was also very good for $3.00 or so.
View attachment 675596
No I didn't make a Ghost Pepper pie. It was the closest bowl shape to go picking.
View attachment 675609
🤩 that looks freako amazing. The colors is just wow. I’d love to try a few of those in smoked salsa. I can’t grow peppers hotter than a bell pepper. I tried japs, Serrano’s, the red Thai peppers. Idk what I’m doing wrong

Reactions: smokin peachey
That is just straight amazing!!! I need yields like that. The long grow season is a huge factor not doubt. My plants have tons of green pods and flowers many of which will never naturally ripen. I bought as small plants and didn't get them in until late May. I am pondering a nice indoor 4x8' grow tent and lights.

Last edited:
That is just straight amazing!!! I need yields like that. The long grow season is a huge factor not doubt. My plants have tons of green pods and flowers many of which will never naturally ripen. I bought as small plants and didn't get them in until late May. I am pondering a nice indoor 4x8' grow tent and lights.
I had Aphids since I didn't wet and microwave the dirt before planting to kill the dormant eggs in Feb. I had to rinse the plants weekly of aphids. PITA. So beware if you grow indoors to kill soil pests like gnats, Aphid eggs.

I over wintered the Ghost Pepper plant two years in a row and the white flies just kept popping out of the soil. I bought herb plants in dirt at Kroger for $2.99 each and the stems were moving after a couple weeks from aphids and honey dew from the aphids glazing everything below on the table. Gross! Steam your dirt in the microwave before indoor germinating.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky