Starting a Sriracha attempt and more peppers!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I kinda get where your coming from on the Sriracha but I use it once in a while. Its actually pretty good on a ham sandwich! To me it is just a very sweet, garlic-ee, Fresno pepper hot sauce, but I want to try a Ghost Pepper version for the heck of it.

Otherwise, been reading about fermenting hot peppers and for some reason I thought that fermenting resulted in hot sauce that kept far longer than the stove top version I usually make (which I have always enjoyed), so the fermented hot sauce might not do much for me - we'll see.

Nevertheless, I am down for some home made pickles and sauerkraut and maybe some kimchi - maybe...
Kimchi is great. Ferments in 3-7 days and keeps for a year in the fridge in it's submersible vacuum lid fermenter and for Sauerkraut and any ferments since the lid can be set anywhere below the brine. Has a top lid as well since Kimchi and Kraut are strong smelling at the beginning. Lots of juice to use as a starter.

Reactions: jcam222
You going with Huy Jeff or Jeff Fong as the name? I hope it works out. I was at the store just now looking for the Huy Fong and none around.
Hmmm lol I'm still working on the name and right now raging rooster is stuck in mind!
I kinda get where your coming from on the Sriracha but I use it once in a while. Its actually pretty good on a ham sandwich! To me it is just a very sweet, garlic-ee, Fresno pepper hot sauce, but I want to try a Ghost Pepper version for the heck of it.

Otherwise, been reading about fermenting hot peppers and for some reason I thought that fermenting resulted in hot sauce that kept far longer than the stove top version I usually make (which I have always enjoyed), so the fermented hot sauce might not do much for me - we'll see.

Nevertheless, I am down for some home made pickles and sauerkraut and maybe some kimchi - maybe...
Properly fermented hot sauce will keep for a VERY long time.
Just added to my cart, just what I always needed lol
Ha always need more toys!

Properly fermented hot sauce will keep for a VERY long time.
My CR hot sauce is like a Tabasco thin basic hot sauce . Just brine and fermented peppers. no vinegar or anything else. Shake it and dose out of a dropper bottle. I got six 60ml dropper bottles from a compounding pharmacy that no longer sells them. Fermented one year Nov 2018 - 2019. So it's been in the fridge four years and almost gone. I have never checked Ph even though I have two meters since no Kahm grew or anything else. I just told people I gave bottles to keep it in the fridge. That long ferment really settles down the heat and the tanginess is right up front with the fruit flavor. I don't know if I can make it a year for this Fall's ferment but I do have vac sealed cheddar cheeses 3 and 5 lb blocks in their original vac bags that are in my fridge crisper drawers the last 8 or so years and still aging.
792.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
My CR hot sauce is like a Tabasco thin basic hot sauce . Just brine and fermented peppers. no vinegar or anything else. Shake it and dose out of a dropper bottle. I got six 60ml dropper bottles from a compounding pharmacy that no longer sells them. Fermented one year Nov 2018 - 2019. So it's been in the fridge four years and almost gone. I have never checked Ph even though I have two meters since no Kahm grew or anything else. I just told people I gave bottles to keep it in the fridge. That long ferment really settles down the heat and the tanginess is right up front with the fruit flavor. I don't know if I can make it a year for this Fall's ferment but I do have vac sealed cheddar cheeses 3 and 5 lb blocks in their original vac bags that are in my fridge crisper drawers the last 8 or so years and still aging.
View attachment 676169
Nice! I plan on packaging a scorpion pepper ferment in a similar manner.

Reactions: dr k
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky