Spares who cares - We do

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
With the price of beef around here going up and up. The wife and I have been eating allot pork and chicken recently. I mean Brisket is up to 9.50/lb, thin t-bones are $15.00 for one, a pack of rib tips were priced at 18.00 for four medium sized tips. Unbelievable. With that being said, the wife made a trip to Costco the other day and brought home a 3 pack of ribs. I haven't done ribs in a while so I figured - lets get it on...

For this smoke. I broke out the 26" kettle with the SnS. I also changed things up a bit. I used Stumps Pork rub instead my usual SPOG sprinkle. I also decided since it was a nice day out - I was going to let the ribs run naked. No foiling this time. I think this was the first time I've gone this route, but I can honestly say it won't be the last.

First, the volunteer for this experiment. All coated in stumps. Membrane was left on.

DSC01212.JPG

After a few hours she's starting to show her hillbilly teeth(look fimilar yankee2bbq yankee2bbq ) I can almost hear that banjo :emoji_sunglasses:

DSC01213.JPG

Give them a turn around and a bit of glaze.

DSC01214.JPG

Toss them on the plater and bring them inside.

DSC01215.JPG

...and the seperating of the bones

DSC01216.JPG

Total cook time: 5hrs
Temp: 250* to 300*
Wood: Apple chunks
Taste: Ummmmm Good!!! Juicey with a bit of a bite.

Thanks for taking a peek.

Chris

Fantastic !! Unwrapped is the way to go , and those look awesome . My 26 likes that temp range too . I just let it settle in and do it's thing .
Nice cook Chris .

Reactions: JC in GB
those look great! same boat here...soon as the so called beef shortage was announcement I stocked up on BB from Costco.

Side bar - read an article that during the so called "meat shortage" meat exports went up 4X from previous years.

Beautiful piece of work Chris, those ribs look great, Like! I tried wrapping once awhile back, never again, turned out FOTB and kind of mushy, wouldn't even post them. RAY

oh yeah Chris those ribs look great. beef prices around here are starting to drop quite a bit. hang in there. but with the way those ribs look you may never eat beef again.

Those looke awesome Chris ! We have been doing a lot of pork and chicken too! Beef is crazy right now! Nice cook on the 26!

With the price of beef around here going up and up. The wife and I have been eating allot pork and chicken recently. I mean Brisket is up to 9.50/lb, thin t-bones are $15.00 for one, a pack of rib tips were priced at 18.00 for four medium sized tips. Unbelievable. With that being said, the wife made a trip to Costco the other day and brought home a 3 pack of ribs. I haven't done ribs in a while so I figured - lets get it on...

For this smoke. I broke out the 26" kettle with the SnS. I also changed things up a bit. I used Stumps Pork rub instead my usual SPOG sprinkle. I also decided since it was a nice day out - I was going to let the ribs run naked. No foiling this time. I think this was the first time I've gone this route, but I can honestly say it won't be the last.

First, the volunteer for this experiment. All coated in stumps. Membrane was left on.

View attachment 449795

After a few hours she's starting to show her hillbilly teeth(look fimilar yankee2bbq yankee2bbq ) I can almost hear that banjo :emoji_sunglasses:

View attachment 449796

Give them a turn around and a bit of glaze.

View attachment 449797

Toss them on the plater and bring them inside.

View attachment 449798

...and the seperating of the bones

View attachment 449799

Total cook time: 5hrs
Temp: 250* to 300*
Wood: Apple chunks
Taste: Ummmmm Good!!! Juicey with a bit of a bite.

Thanks for taking a peek.

Chris
Ribs look great. Been doing alot of chicken, pork ,and seafood here too. Beef way high here as well. Makes me glad I hunt. Still got venison in the freezer.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Fantastic !! Unwrapped is the way to go , and those look awesome . My 26 likes that temp range too . I just let it settle in and do it's thing .
Nice cook Chris .
Thanks Rich for the kind words and like, The wife and I usually like our ribs done to FOTB. Now we're starting to rethink that decision.

Ribs look great Chris! For commercial stuff I like stubbs rubs a lot.

Appreciate the like and compliment John. I used Stubbs on a pork tenderloin a while back and really liked it. Thought it was time to change up the ribs.

Chris

Dang good looking ribs! Bet the guy with the hillbilly teeth likes his ribs fotb :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: yankee2bbq
They look awesome. I too am on the whole spares (no trim) and no wrap. It's just too easy and I love the whole ribs. It's all about good eats! Nice rack of ribs Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky