1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Spare Rib Saturday

Discussion in 'Pork' started by CSR, Nov 3, 2018.

1. CSR

CSR Fire Starter

Had a couple racks of spare ribs that I bought on a sale a while back for $1.49/lb. Have a home project I'll be working on this afternoon so I figured why not get something on early this morning and have it for a mid afternoon meal. Trimmed the ends and the flap, but left the tips on the rack at the recommendation of a co-worker. Light layer of mustard and rub and into the fridge last night. Will be getting the smoker going in an hour or 2 and then we will let the low and slow ride begin.

The guy helping me wants to do a sweet glaze, so he will likely get his wish on one rack if he so chooses.

Also stopping at the store soon to see if they have anything on sale that will be quick to throw on to accompany Porky and co.

2. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Hope it works out and you get that honey do finished. Lets see some photos. What are you using for a sweet glaze?

Warren

3. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Sounds like a good start. I'm in.
    Gary

4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Sounds good, how they turn out?

Chris

5. CSR

CSR Fire Starter

Got busy with the house project. They turned out much better than my previous efforts, although I still struggle with where the tips end and the rib begins. Ended up staying on the smoker for about 6.5 hours at 235-240 with a little bump to 280 when I added some sauce. Unfortunately due to the house project all I did was my normal rub and some sauce at the end, didn't get to try the brown sugar/honey glaze that was planned. I still don't even know the recipe for the glaze as it wasn't my idea.

Anyhoo, onto the photos. After their rub and before they got on the grill. Extra bits in the corner.
    Pregrill.jpg
    We are off and running...
    Starting.jpg
    Glazed with sauce and almost ready...
    Glazed.jpg
    Didn't get quite the pull back, but the meat was nearly FOTB with just enough bite.

6. CSR

CSR Fire Starter

On the board ready to cut.
    Finished.jpg
    The spoils of war....
    Ribs.jpg
    The smoke ring left a little to be desired, but overall I was happy I had the spare ribs versus the baby backs. After by first attempt with spare ribs I was ready to walk away..
    Bonus shot, threw some stuffed peppers on while the grill was hot for leftovers...
    peppers.jpg
    Forgot to take the photo where I covered them with pepperjack cheese...

7. texomakid

texomakid Meat Mopper

Those look very good. I'd like to eat one! (Ribs or the peppers, they both look nice)

8. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

I'm doing some today hope they turn out that good.

Warren

9. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Those are some fine looking ribs my friend!
    Very nicely done & congrats on making the carousel!!!
    Al

CSR likes this.
  10. Very nice! $1.49 is a great price for ribs...

11. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great looking spares!!! Like for sure. Congrats on the carousel ride.

12. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Very nice! Like!

13. CSR

CSR Fire Starter

An honor to make the carousel! Already trying to figure out what to put on next weekend

Learning more every day taking in the wisdom on this site.

Post em if you got em!

14. SmokinLogs

SmokinLogs Smoking Fanatic

Ribs look great. Congrats on making the carousel!

15. Looks great! I need to try out the smoked stuffed peppers! Did you fill with 100% sausage or did you have some rice in the mix too?

16. CSR

CSR Fire Starter

These were actually 85/15 beef with seasoning. They ended up dry, so I would either go with sausage or mix in some fat the next time I make them.

17. ksblazer

ksblazer Meat Mopper

Look good to me

Thanks for posting

18. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Good looking food! :cool:
    Congrats on making the features carousel.

19. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Good looking spares CSR. Congratulations!