Spanish Chorizo Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sky

Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Bay St. Louis, MS
Hey all! Here's a quicky for y'all. I made 5 lbs of Spanish chorizo about 4 weeks ago. It has been air curing in my closet without any attempt to regulate the temperature and humidity. The sausage does have curing salt #2 (1tbs) in it and a considerable amount of red wine for acidity. Here's the question... the sausages have started (around week 3) releasing a yellowish / orange oil from them, is this normal? Also, They have started giving off a vinegar type smell. Is this normal as well? Lastly, would anyone try them knowing how cured them? I'm not offering just wanting some expert advise on whether I should indeed try them after I test the Ph in a week or so.

Attachments

• unnamed (55).jpg
    unnamed (55).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_36311 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_36311 - Edited.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 43
They're looking good to me..... Just keep an eye out for case hardening and greenish mold. White mold is good.

Boykjo

I would not try them. I have made Spanish chorizo before and it sounds like you are missing some steps, education, and foundational things when it comes to dry curing. PH is important in combating bacteria, but weight should determine when it is done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky