Sous vide - Searing for a dinner for 14? Can't use my cast iron.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkgourmet

Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
I have one of those homes with a large kitchen island and an open concept great room. Everyone tends to gather at the island (which seats at least six people).

I'd very much like to do sous vide pork tenderloins for dinner for 14. Those come out so well in the sous vide! But searing in the cast iron will be impossible. It smokes too much. It isn't big enough - by the time I get the last one seared off, the first one will be cold.

We've experimented with searing these on the grates of a gas grill, but it browned, but did not get that lovely crust.

Ideas, please?

Have you thought about getting a "Searzall".
I think they're about $70 (plus the torch), but that could solve your problem of having to do more than a CI or Gas Grill can handle.

Bear

Reactions: jkgourmet
I've seared different things out of my sous vide in cast iron as well as my gas grill and the charcoal Weber. By far the best results have been on the Weber when I have it really hot. I can get close on the gasser if I run it wide open. You could try using a decent sized grill pan which you can pick up in the sporting goods department just about anywhere and heating it on the gas grill. Should give you the surface area you need and the cast iron results you are looking for.

I have one of those homes with a large kitchen island and an open concept great room. Everyone tends to gather at the island (which seats at least six people).

I'd very much like to do sous vide pork tenderloins for dinner for 14. Those come out so well in the sous vide! But searing in the cast iron will be impossible. It smokes too much. It isn't big enough - by the time I get the last one seared off, the first one will be cold.

We've experimented with searing these on the grates of a gas grill, but it browned, but did not get that lovely crust.

Ideas, please?
Use two cast iron pans, but instead of putting them on the range throw them in a preheated 500 degree plus oven five min then flip and 5 min..done.
Adjust cooking time in sous vide so loins come out 155 that way they will be 165 or so when your done.
Kit

I am a big fan of of high temp cooking and love a good sear and also like the house not to smell for a week. I do all sears outside. While I have a sear burner on my grill, the absolutely best sear (talking real bistro quality) I get comes from using my homebrew propane burner (and a pan). The burner can do big crab/corn/lobster boils, frying, other cool stuff too.

Having issues posting the amazon link. It's a Bayou Classic SQ14.

Dead serious that I am talking ALMOST catching fire hot. I keep an extinguisher handy (DAD is retired FD).

We are searless here.
Our Sears done closed and sold out. By the time I heard, all they had left was the fixtures.
No sears left here.

I try to do all my searing outside due to the smoke and the house smelling for a few days.

I use cast iron pans on my gas grill. If it were me, I would buy a cast iron griddle and place it on the grill. That way you would have more surface area to sear with the iron.

^^This. Get a cast iron griddle and get it smoking hot on you gas grill and sear away. I do most of my searing with a cast iron skillet but I have a Camp Chef Flat To 600 griddle, that I can get very hot and it does a good job searing for large cooks.

Two ideas: induction cooktop and chimney starter.

I sear outside with a CI skillet on my portable induction cooker. I put the cooker on a cookie sheet on the cold Weber gas BBQ. The induction cooktop heats a CI skillet in less than a minute. It can smoke and spatter for all it's worth, and there is zero cleanup, except for wiping down the glass exterior of the induction cooktop. This takes less than 30 seconds.

You can get induction cooktops for about $70 (I originally had the Max Burton 6200 which is $65, shipped), although the one I have is about double that.

Max Burton 6400

If you have a side-burner on your grill, use that.

One other idea: use a chimney starter. The Cook's Illustrated / America's Test Kitchen people showed this on one of their episodes. That episode is behind a paywall. Here is a link to another person doing the same thing:

Extreme Steak: The Afterburner Method

Reactions: SonnyE
Two ideas: induction cooktop and chimney starter.

I sear outside with a CI skillet on my portable induction cooker. I put the cooker on a cookie sheet on the cold Weber gas BBQ. The induction cooktop heats a CI skillet in less than a minute. It can smoke and spatter for all it's worth, and there is zero cleanup, except for wiping down the glass exterior of the induction cooktop. This takes less than 30 seconds.

You can get induction cooktops for about $70 (I originally had the Max Burton 6200 which is $65, shipped), although the one I have is about double that.

Max Burton 6400

If you have a side-burner on your grill, use that.

One other idea: use a chimney starter. The Cook's Illustrated / America's Test Kitchen people showed this on one of their episodes. That episode is behind a paywall. Here is a link to another person doing the same thing:

Extreme Steak: The Afterburner Method

That Afterburner Method gives me plans for some very heavy duty grates I have from a rotted out (and long gone) Bar-B-Que. They're Stainless Steel and in pretty good shape.
Might work good for that.

I use my Blackstone flat top griddle a lot. It's set up in the garage right now because it's winter lol

Its not ideal but better than nothing. But if you have a electric griddle or could borrow one that might work.

And you could do it out on the porch or something because of the smoke.

Use two cast iron pans, but instead of putting them on the range throw them in a preheated 500 degree plus oven five min then flip and 5 min..done.
Adjust cooking time in sous vide so loins come out 155 that way they will be 165 or so when your done.
Kit

That sounds like a doable - and cheap - solution!

^^This. Get a cast iron griddle and get it smoking hot on you gas grill and sear away. I do most of my searing with a cast iron skillet but I have a Camp Chef Flat To 600 griddle, that I can get very hot and it does a good job searing for large cooks.

That's a pretty simple and cheap solution, too. I'd need to buy another cast iron, but that's pretty cheap.

I try to do all my searing outside due to the smoke and the house smelling for a few days.

I use cast iron pans on my gas grill. If it were me, I would buy a cast iron griddle and place it on the grill. That way you would have more surface area to sear with the iron.

Since you have a gas grill (as we do), can you give me an idea of how long it takes to heat up those cast iron pans?

I am a big fan of of high temp cooking and love a good sear and also like the house not to smell for a week. I do all sears outside. While I have a sear burner on my grill, the absolutely best sear (talking real bistro quality) I get comes from using my homebrew propane burner (and a pan). The burner can do big crab/corn/lobster boils, frying, other cool stuff too.

Having issues posting the amazon link. It's a Bayou Classic SQ14.

Dead serious that I am talking ALMOST catching fire hot. I keep an extinguisher handy (DAD is retired FD).

DH is 75 years old. I'm not letting him NEAR that sucker. :)

Reactions: zwiller
I've seared different things out of my sous vide in cast iron as well as my gas grill and the charcoal Weber. By far the best results have been on the Weber when I have it really hot. I can get close on the gasser if I run it wide open. You could try using a decent sized grill pan which you can pick up in the sporting goods department just about anywhere and heating it on the gas grill. Should give you the surface area you need and the cast iron results you are looking for.

Can you explain this to me, please?

On the Weber I just get a big pile of lump charcoal just ripping and can quickly sear on that. My grill pan has 2 sides. one with ridges to "grill" and the other is flat like a griddle. Its dimensions approximately 18 X 14. It fits nicely on my gas grill. If I have a large number of items to sear all at the same time I'll put it on the grill griddle side up and turn the burners to high. It's about 500 degrees in les than 10 minutes and puts a nice sear on what ever I'm cooking. Does a very nice blackened walleye, pork tender loin or chicken breast and doesn't irritate SWMBO by smoking out the house. Sorry I did not articulate my original thought very well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky