My way of seasoning a cast iron skillet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Floriduh

Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
While waiting to choose a griddle, I decided to cook on cast iron skillets to learn some. I have a nice selection of Lodge skillets. I ordered their 17” skillet and that was when I decided to learn about seasoning.

Lots of advice out there, and most all will be better than something I offer. However, my skillet now is very nice. Here it is perched atop a Bayou Classic banjo burner. I think it is close to 100,000 btu.

3C470302-4B2C-46F9-91E3-09E119DDB026.jpeg

This is pretty close to what a griddle experience would be.

I discovered that sanding the surface smooth is a very good step towards a final product. I really recommend that you do this as Lodge uses a sand mold to pour the iron, and this leaves a sandy finish where you really want a slick smooth finish. Use common sense as you do this.

When seasoning afterwards, keep in mind that you want a series of thin layers, not a few fat ones. A layer is comprised of a heating cycle, application of a thin layer of oil, followed by a period of heat that has the oil burning ever so slightly, then a cooling. You will want it to where you only see some smoke when you get down close and look carefully. Cool as you can and still get some smoke. A whisp of smoke. Then a cooling period where it gets to be room temp. That counts as one layer. Without the cooling phase, no matter how many applications of oil you do, it will only be one layer.

Adding oil after it had smoked real hard is not achieving a layering effect. Think thin oil, barely smoking, allowed to cool. Then repeat as many times as you wish. Now you have multiple layers of non stick surfacing. This makes the skillet of use to you to be used as a griddle.

Avoid extremes. Be gentle and delicate. Be patient and above all else think thin layers of oil. I like flax seed, but bacon seems to do something special. Avoid over heating the skillet when cooking afterwards. Err on the cool side until you get some time in and know what the operating temperatures are. Be patient and the cast iron will produce a superior product for consumption.

I have plans to get a griddle flat top, but this has helped me to know that I can manage the surface of one.

BTW- there is some kind of cartoon thingie that appears right where I wish to type. What’s up with that ?

I skip sanding. It's a waste of time, IMHO. Those little bumps of cast iron season up just as slick as any other cast iron. A fried egg in a seasoned Lodge skillet will slip and slide around like it's on a non-stick surface even with the bumpy surface.

As for seasoning I use Crisco. If it's good enough for Martha Stewart to use then it's good enough for me. It works great. Notice that Martha's new skillet is a Lodge.

Another mention that the bumps on Lodge season and smooth out too.

Last edited:
Just a matter of taking time to learn. Many methods and trains of thought out there on correct way to season cast iron... most is personal preference or this is the way grandma did it. Either way... I love food cooked in cast iron! Now, let's see some food in your big pan!

Ryan

I have a cheap dollar store one that has lived its life in my smoker/grill that has only had duck fat in it for seasoning.

While waiting to choose a griddle, I decided to cook on cast iron skillets to learn some. I have a nice selection of Lodge skillets. I ordered their 17” skillet and that was when I decided to learn about seasoning.

Lots of advice out there, and most all will be better than something I offer. However, my skillet now is very nice. Here it is perched atop a Bayou Classic banjo burner. I think it is close to 100,000 btu.

View attachment 634971

This is pretty close to what a griddle experience would be.

I discovered that sanding the surface smooth is a very good step towards a final product. I really recommend that you do this as Lodge uses a sand mold to pour the iron, and this leaves a sandy finish where you really want a slick smooth finish. Use common sense as you do this.

When seasoning afterwards, keep in mind that you want a series of thin layers, not a few fat ones. A layer is comprised of a heating cycle, application of a thin layer of oil, followed by a period of heat that has the oil burning ever so slightly, then a cooling. You will want it to where you only see some smoke when you get down close and look carefully. Cool as you can and still get some smoke. A whisp of smoke. Then a cooling period where it gets to be room temp. That counts as one layer. Without the cooling phase, no matter how many applications of oil you do, it will only be one layer.

Adding oil after it had smoked real hard is not achieving a layering effect. Think thin oil, barely smoking, allowed to cool. Then repeat as many times as you wish. Now you have multiple layers of non stick surfacing. This makes the skillet of use to you to be used as a griddle.

Avoid extremes. Be gentle and delicate. Be patient and above all else think thin layers of oil. I like flax seed, but bacon seems to do something special. Avoid over heating the skillet when cooking afterwards. Err on the cool side until you get some time in and know what the operating temperatures are. Be patient and the cast iron will produce a superior product for consumption.

I have plans to get a griddle flat top, but this has helped me to know that I can manage the surface of one.

BTW- there is some kind of cartoon thingie that appears right where I wish to type. What’s up with that ?

About the cartoon think when you're typing.. can you get a screenshot of that by any chance?

Also, are you on the phone or desktop?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky