Tenderizing a Tough Ribeye (Sous Vide Temp Warning)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Tenderizing a Tough Ribeye (Sous Vide Temp Warning)

I SV all my Beef at 131° IT or higher, therefore I don’t have to sear it before doing the SV:

A Few Words From The Pros:
With enough time, most food pathogens are killed at 130°F/54.5°C, according to the FDA and Douglas Baldwin. For our sous vide recipes, this is our magic number. We cook almost everything either at or above that temperature. (When cooking in a water bath set to 130°F/54.5°C, the food will eventually become that temperature as well.) As an extra precaution, if we plan to cook meat below our magic temperature, the first thing we do is sear it in a hot pan in order to kill off any bacteria on the surface before we Sous Vide it.

Source & the rest:

Now Back to the Steak:
This will be the Third and final Steak I had cut from a 5 pound Standing Rib Roast.
It was from a shopping time where the store picks your roast with all your other things, and you just come & pick it up, so I had no control over the fact that this one was “Select”. I’ve had Select before, and I couldn’t tell it from Choice, but this one was different.

I did the first one in my Ninja Grill, and it was very tough.

Then I experimented with the second one by cutting it in 1” strips, and Grilling them on my Ninja Grill.
That one tasted Great, but was still tough! When I posted those 2 I told you guys I had a plan for the last one.

So this one is getting more of a Work-out:
First I thawed it out, in the vacuum bag I had put it in back in December.
I set my Sous Vide Supreme at 131° & put it in.
After 30 hours, I removed the Ribeye from the SV & from the bag, and cut it into strips.
Then I put them in a Hot Pan & seared all 4 sides of each strip quickly, so I didn’t change the inside Temp.
I’ll explain the rest in the Captions above each Picture Below.
This Steak turned out Great tasting & Nice & Tender too!!

BTW: I would never do this to a Ribeye, because they are already very Tender, however this one (select) was an exception. It's a shame you don't really know ahead of time.

Thanks For Looking,

Bear

Third & Final Ribeye from a "Tough" Select Rib Roast I got last Christmas Week:
IMG_6889.jpeg

In the rack, ready to go in my Sous Vide Supreme:
IMG_6890.jpeg

Fresh out of Sous Vide:
IMG_6893.jpeg

Gonna slice it in 4 pieces for searing:
IMG_6894.jpeg

Love the inside color:
IMG_6895.jpeg

Gonna sear all 4 sides of each piece:
IMG_6896.jpeg

Searing:
IMG_6897.jpeg

Bear's first Supper, with Spanish Rice:
IMG_6899.jpeg

Last of Leftovers---Ribeye, Chicken Drum, and Spanish Rice:
IMG_6903.jpeg

Cut up the Drum & Steak, and add the last of the Spanish Rice:
IMG_6904.jpeg

Last edited:
Love a SV steak time and again . I'm over due for one , but trying to wait for the price to come down . Good meals right there .

Looks real good John, Imma betting it tasted great also

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great, John. Do you season it before Vac Sealing and freezing? Love that inside color too! Great job.

Looks great Bear! :emoji_ok_hand:

I'm sure folks already know this, but the sous vide sticks are great for taking along on RV trips. Very compact, and you can set your food in the morning, do your daily activities, and almost have dinner ready when you return home.

Yep. I like to sous vide steaks below 130*F so I sear them first....

Great post...good looking steaks!

Yup---I was thinking of You when I was typing that.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Love a SV steak time and again . I'm over due for one , but trying to wait for the price to come down . Good meals right there .

Thank You Rich!!
Yeah, they don't go on sale as often as they used to.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great, John. Do you season it before Vac Sealing and freezing? Love that inside color too! Great job.

Thank You Mike!!
I don't usually. I do it with Big Stuff, like Eye Round & Chuckies, but not with Steaks.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great Bear! :emoji_ok_hand:

I'm sure folks already know this, but the sous vide sticks are great for taking along on RV trips. Very compact, and you can set your food in the morning, do your daily activities, and almost have dinner ready when you return home.

Thank You PZ!!
Yup---That's one of the extra tricks you can do with SV.
I like being able to put things right from the freezer to the SV, and only have to add an hour or so to the time.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great Bear! I have a similar ribeye in the fridge from when I bought the entire ribeye...a little tough. Over the weekend I put some in a pineapple, mango marinade (thanks Brian) to break down the toughness and it worked well. I will try the SV method for the others.

Looks great Bear! I have a similar ribeye in the fridge from when I bought the entire ribeye...a little tough. Over the weekend I put some in a pineapple, mango marinade (thanks Brian) to break down the toughness and it worked well. I will try the SV method for the others.

I had heard Pineapple helps, but I never tried it myself.

If your Ribeye is actually tough, I wouldn't give it a mere 8, 10, or 12 hour bath. I'd go right to 30 hours to be sure. Don't worry, it won't get mushy or anything.
Normally I would never SV a Ribeye, because they're already very Tender, but this one really needed it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
I had heard Pineapple helps, but I never tried it myself.

If your Ribeye is actually tough, I wouldn't give it a mere 8, 10, or 12 hour bath. I'd go right to 30 hours to be sure. Don't worry, it won't get mushy or anything.
Normally I would never SV a Ribeye, because they're already very Tender, but this one really needed it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear
yes and has to be fresh pinapple, when canned it loses the enzymes that break down the meat. You also have to not do it too long or it will get mushy

yes and has to be fresh pinapple, when canned it loses the enzymes that break down the meat. You also have to not do it too long or it will get mushy

Thank You!!
If I ever get a Pineapple, I'll try it.
I'm kinda spoiled on Fresh Pineapples, after spending more than a year in Hawaii, any other fresh one tastes terrible.
Thanks for that Info!!

Bear

I'm late to the party on this one John, great cook and informative post, Like! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky