SOS...My 2nd try with Brisket Tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All

I'M getting ready for my 2nd try with Brisket, try tomorrow Sat. The 1st came out DRY but tasty, so I'm going to give IT another try.

This time I'm using my brand new Maverick 732 for temps

Last time I used 2 chunks of Hickory, the smoke flavor was surely there!!!

Here's is what a have from a local supermarket" 3.39 USDA  Choice beef chuck fresh Brisket flat cut.

Any tips/suggestions for a juicer Brisket.

My post from last time, with my problem!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/118583/why-brisket-and-where-to-get-it/20

Thanks Dan

PS I'm also smoking a 4.09 Pork Pinic Shoulder for pull pork..I have done 8-9 lbs shoulder  in the oven.

Always came out great for me that way, cooked the shoulder overnight in the oven, till the temps read 190. then pulled.

Smoker: Master Forge Electric

Last edited:
Dan, evening....   Next time try 1 chunk... that should give more than enough smoke.... About your temps... I smoke whole meat muscle at about 210 deg F.... The water won't turn to steam I figure.... I learned that from one of our long time members....    Others smoke at 275-300...  gotta keep a close eye on the meat and maybe foil at 160 after smoke and cook the rest of the way....  

Smoking meat and obtaining perfection takes practice and taking notes on everything you do.... Good smoked meats is rocket science so to speak.....   Dave 

It's not a crime to add a bit of finishing sauce when you foil.   Also a lot of people like cooking with the entire fat cap still on,  I don't but they say it makes it easier to get a juicy brisket.       If you have a thin flat with very little fat you might consider foiling a bit early, you won't have as much of that delicious smoke taste but you will have more control over the moisture and tenderness

Good luck,  don't forget the Q view

Hi All going to foil at 165 , cook until 190 then into a cooler with towels.Hoping IT's better then the 1st one.
drool.gif

My plan is to put the meat in the smoker at 10am giving it 6 hrs,should be done around 4, then into the cooler.

Will post back with the results..

Thanks Dan

Cook time  Times 732 Temps 2nd grill temps Dome temps Meat temp/732
xxxxxxx 10:30 am 219 xxxx xxxx 52
30 mins 11 232 240 200 131
1:30 12:00 230 230 200 145
2:00 12:30 234 222 200 151
2:30 1:00 PM 230 2101 200 151
3:00 1:30 205 200 180 149
3:30 2:00 237 225 200 160 Foiled
4:00 2:30 237 225 210 151
4:30 3:00 217 225 200 160
5:00 3:30 203 200 190 160
5:30 4:00 226 225 200 162
6:00 4:30 207 200 190 162
6:30 5:00 237 250 210 165
7:00 5:30 250 250 200 165
7:30 6:00 248 260 200 171
8:00 6:30 264 250 220 153
8:30 7:00 PM 271 260 220 192
banana_smiley.gif

Just some #'s I'm Getting hungry.
drool.gif
 4 lb Pork shoulder temp 150 after 7 hrs.
help.gif

At times my meat temps drop alot????

Had to run out and get a Pizza for dinner
wife.gif

Results tomorrow

PS the pork shoulder is still on temp at 172 after 7 hrs.

Last edited:
Hi All After 3 1/2 hrs the brisket was foiled with some beef broth 169, placed back in the smoker. 5 hrs later the temp reach 192.
Tonite I will reheat, foil the brisket with some beef broth and put in the oven , till it reaches 192 again.

Thanks DanB

Hi All The 2nd try with Brisket was another disaster. I reheated IT in the oven tonite with some beef broth, still was way too dry for my taste..The hickory smoke flavor was right on, at least I did something right..Maybe next time I have two things to try1.Try smoking the point. 2. Get up early enough to eat the brisket the same day,spending the night in the fridge,didn't help the outcome

DanB.

PS The pork shoulder for pulled pork, came out alright, even after spending the night in the fridge.

Last edited:
I have never had good luck with briskett.  Tried trip tip (bottom sirloin) and it is perfection everytime!!!   Are you brining it first and adding meat tenderizer? 

Hi Vegas: "Are you brining it first and adding meat tenderizer? All I'm doing is a Brisket rub, fidge for 24 Hrs, then in the smoker.

The Brisket is real tasty, the smoke flavor & the rub come thru, but IT's DRY!!!

Question: I also did a 4 lb Pork shoulder on the bottom rack.The Brisket was on the top, the Brisket had much more Hickory flavor then the Pork.???

Thanks DanBono

I usually brine all meat  and use  meat tenderizer except for double smoked ham.  We just don't like brisket.  Tri tip is just a better cut of meat it is not stringy like brisket.  Tried brisket twice then I was in Smart and Final talking to a professional chef and he recommend the Tri Tip said it is a much better cut of meat than the brisket.  Tri tip always has a really nice cap of fat.  Plus at S & F the price on the tri tip is half as at the regular grocery store.  I tried it we loved it and have not used any other cut.  Even for making pastrami.

Did the beef have more marbling/fat?  Fat really absorbs the smoke flavor.  Perhaps the pork being closer to the heat sealed the outside and it would not absorb the smoke.  That is weird. 

Vegas: Tri Tip isn't a popular cut here in New Jersey..I don't remember seeing it, IF ask the butcher in my local supermarket, I'll have a chance to get IT.

I'm going to give a Brisket another try one of these days..I got to get IT right, sooner or later.
smile.gif

The 3.39 lb Brisket, took almost nine hrs to reach 192. In my opinion I think that is way toooooo long. I wonder if IT would have reach 192 sooner, IF I didn't have the 4.0 lb Pork shoulder on the bottom rack.I like to take full advantage when the smoker is cooking.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Some parts of the country turn bottom sirlon into hamburger.  That is ashame because it is so good.  Here it is so popular it sells for $5.99 in local chain supermarkets.  I go to wholesaler and get it for $3.29.

I have never tried this but someone told me to place a pan on the rack below the brisket to collect the juices and then inject those juices back into the brisket to assist in keeping the meat moist. Maybe someone here can comment on this method.

Sorry Dan, I thought that was the price per pound. I think you will have a better idea of what is happening if you get up early and put it in around 5 or 6 a.m. then foil right when you think its stalling with some liquid. Finish to 190-195 and into the cooler. Then give it a shot after its been in the cooler for 2-3 hours. Also try keeping the fat cap on if at all possible.

Dan,  when I do a brisket I plan for 1.5 to 1.6 hours per lb at 225* and add 2 hours for comfort.  I usually do not wrap a flat up to ~ 6.5# but I do use water in the pan.  I also do not cut the fat cap off a flat: I score it (~ 2 inch squares) down to the meat so the rub gets down in there.   A whole packer I trim a bit but not a flat that has already been prepped by the butcher. I don't use a rub with too much salt either. Some like to use high heat, my opinion: low and slow is the key to moist tender brisket.  I try to keep temps about 225*.  I also do not wrap and put in a cooler.  When the meat is done I place some foil over it loosely and wait for everything else (hopefully ~ 30 mins) cut it and eat.  I hope this gives you some ideas.

Bama/Puddy: Next time I will start real early in the morning or maybe the night before.Say around midnight, so when I get up the next morning the brisket will be pretty much done.Next is keeping it warm till dinner time.

Question shoud I try a whole brisket next time 8/10 lbs or maybe but just the point.Is the point good for eating? and not just for brunt ends?

Thanks Guys

It would be better to do a whole packer if you can, It's easier to keep a large piece of meat moist then a smaller one. The point is just as good but the grain is rotated about 90* from the way the flat is oriented. So to slice the point you would want to separate the two at about 160* and then apply rub to the bare spots from where the point meets the flat. There is a pronounced fat seam that separates the two so once you find that seam just follow it with your knife point. Then finish the two as any other piece of meat but I think I would keep a close eye on those temps just to be sure.

I know you are using your brand new Maverick, but I would try testing the meat thermo in boiling water to make sure it is correct. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky