SOS...My 2nd try with Brisket Tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
SlownLow: will test Maverick in boiling water and see IF it hits 212 mark.

Puddy:Just might try a Whole Packer next time,8/10 lbs is alot of meat for two people.Will have to see what is the smallest Packer my supermarket has

Thanks Dan

DanBono, Afternoon.....   Buy a whole packer... Saves money....  Cook part for a brisket or whatever, cure the other part for corned beef or make into pastrami....   May as well experiment with the money you save....   Just my $0.02....   Dave

The point is absolutely good eats.   There is a large vein of fat between the flat and point but once you cut that off the point is good to go.  Note the grain running a different direction than the flat though.  You want to cut across (90*) the grain.  ...but a whole packer is going to be more like 12 -16 lbs.  Time investment = 1.5 hours oer lb + 2 hours = a LONG time so prepare in advance.

Last edited:
Bama: Maybe I can get a "small" packer. Last time when I asked the butcher at my supermarket for a 3-4 lb flat,I watched him cut the flat from the point, there wasn't a big piece left for the point.. I should have asked him how many lbs the whole piece was.

Thanks Dan

PS I snack at nite on the cold brisket, and nows it's all gone.

Last edited:
e35c8467_thread.jpg

If you have a good butcher that gets quality beef you have a easier opportunity to get smaller cuts of the animal. My butcher gets local grass fed beef, which means that there is less chances of hormones injected into it. Which means I get "organic" without paying the price tag.

OK All: I'm now doing my3rd attempt at brisket..Put the brisket on at 8:30am.Foiled in a pan at 170 at 4:00pm.Before foiling I tried the tooth pick test.went in almost like butter..The brisket is only 2.81 lbs, smoker temps range form 200-232 soooo WHY is this little brisket taking sooo long to cook? I must admit it looks a whole lot  better then the last 2. When I pulled the Maverick probe to foiled IT there was plenty of juices come from the probe hole.

Any idea's why it takes soo long to cook.The lid has been kept closed, water pan filled..

Thanks Dan

PS This brisket was alittle thicker/fatter then the last two.

Last edited:
3ff04c5c_DSC00960.jpg
Hi All The 3rd time was a charm. Finally moist brisket,must have been the cut,looks like a small point?
Thanks Dan
PS Alittle too fatty for my wife
icon_cry.gif

Looks great bono......... It was the pictures that made you step up to the plate.......................
biggrin.gif
... oh,,,  speaking of plate.....I'll  have a plate of that.......
icon14.gif

Joe

Low and slow is the way to go 225f max temp and predicting when it will be done to the min is like guessing when you will poop next it can't be done. Good luck on you next adventure.:biggrin:

When your chamber temp drops to 200 it will take a little extra time for your brisket to recover and finish....Try to hold a steady 225 through the whole smoking process..... 

Joe

Joe:  "Try to hold a steady 225 through the whole smoking process"..That is easier said then done.

There is really NO way to control the temps, except for the low/med/high/ on the Electric dial.My smoker is a Electric one.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_332739-42600-EBC1102L_4294857758_4294937087_?productId=3294736&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Smokers_4294857758_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
SlowNLow: "I know you are using your brand new Maverick, but I would try testing the meat thermo in boiling water to make sure it is correct."

Tested the both probes on the Maverick read 212 on both, even checked my temp gauge that came with the smoker,only 10 degress off,lower then the Mavericks.

Thinking of trying a packer next time, IF I get one around 10/12 lbs. My local supermarket has Brisket on sale this week at 3.99 a lb, regular price 5.49.going to ask the butcheer what is the smallest one they have.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi All I'm giving the brisket another try..This one weighs 6.62 lbs, along with the brisket I also have 2 racks of St. Louis Ribs.

This time I'm going to use 1/2 hickory & 1/2 apple.My chunks 3x3". My wife doesn't care too much of the hickory flavor/taste.

Should I use both woods at the same time or start with one kind then put the other when the 1st one is done smoking?

I usually get about 2-2 1/2 hrs out of 1 chunk.

Thanks Dan

PS I wil be using a Master Forge Electric vertical smoker, with a water pan.

Last edited:
Brisket dry but tender..Ribs tatse ok but very greasy..Next time BB's for sure, I'm done with the St Louis ribs..The B B's cook much faster and are not as greasy.

I think with the brisket, I covered the foiled brisket in towels place in a cooler,BUT didn't lay IT in the cooler flat,more like standing on it's edge, sooo the juices probably ran to the bottom.

Oh well live and learn.

Thanks Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky