Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Reb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Wellsville PA
Got 10lb of ground beef yesterday need some snack sticks in my life. I made 2 different batches one being a modifued version of a recipe i found on here. I cant recall who had originally posted it i believe its on pintrest as well. I have used it before and it is very good to me anyway.
The other was a pre packaged mix by AC Legg. I like alot of the AC Legg sausage seasonings so i figured it was worth a try. I got these mixed up today had somethings come up at work so i wont get to stuff them till tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20181009_102715.jpg
    20181009_102715.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20181009_102720.jpg
    20181009_102720.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 62
Got a new tube to fit my LEM grinder for 17mm casings. Typically I use one of my 2 enterprise stuffers thought id give this a shot.

Attachments

• 20181009_103729.jpg
    20181009_103729.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 50
Well stuffing with the grinder was a fail, an i dont have a small enough tube for my regular stuffer to use 17mm casings. So I dropped back an punted went an got a jerky gun.
I got the hi mountain big shot came with jerky tube n stuffing tube in the size i needed. I must say it actually worked well i was very pleaes with the outcome. I woukdnt go tryin to process a whole hog with it or anything but for 5 to 10lb batches once in a while its a good cheap alternative to an actual stuffer.
20181010_105014.jpg
20181010_105014.jpg
20181010_105145.jpg

Attachments

• 20181010_112001.jpg
    20181010_112001.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 40
Got my heavily modified MES loaded up with 10lb of snack sticks. I started at 6am put em in at 100 there starting to dry off will lite my AMNPS shortly. Im ising a 50 50 mix of hickory an maple since im out of cherry. I loaded enough just to get around the first corner. I will slowly increase temp over the next 6 hrs till i get to 152 internal temp but not going over 170 smoker temp.
20181011_083721.jpg

Attachments

• 20181011_083844.jpg
    20181011_083844.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: pc farmer and disco
I must say that buying that AMNPS was prolly wanna the best things i did. I had a masterbuilt smoke generator but it was a PITA to use. BTW rich was the member who posted the one stick recipe i modified an used thank you rich it is one of my favorites.

I wanna taste!
Can you email me a piece?
Looks good!

I think the AMNPS is about perfect with a MES.
Mine is highly modified, too. Far away from what Mr. Fong calls a smoker. ;)

Tried to scan a piece to email to you Sonny think i need a new scanner now lol. Yea mine was the analog one i got a few years ago for 99$ on amazon. I added a pid controller i built, an adjustable air intake, adjustable exhuast, a stainless removable rack for hanging bacons whole hams etc., i wanna work on a new stand or cart for it yet it works well paired with the AMNPS. I smoked alot of butts, ribs, cheese, bacon, n ham with it.

There she is loaded up with bacon from back an january i did 2 hogs this year. Unfortanetly the ones belly was so thin i ended up grinding it for sausage and picking up 2 bellys from our local butcher.

20180317_093643_HDR.jpg

Reactions: SonnyE
That looks Soooo good!
If I ever do get around to doing my own bacon, I'd have to buy the sow belly from local.
I live in the city.

In retrospect, I could have just gotten the analog, then gotten a good controller. But I wanted the digital controller of my stock unit. Basically, I was looking for my first ever "store bought" smokerbox.
In over 50 years of smoking my own fish and jerkies, all my smokers were home grown.
But I wanted to use pellets as my fuel because they are so easily available where I live.
So between highly modifying, and Todd's AMNPS, I'm in nirvana.
I think this is as good or better than it's ever been.

And finding
small-logo.png
Made all the difference in the world.
Great folks sharing all the how too you could ever want.

Yeah i had a 1/2 brick 1/2 wood smoker i just tote down this year for doing hams n bacons previously. In my profile pic is an old butcher kettle furnace i put in last year my original one cracked. I bought 2 pallets of brick of a guy to put that furnace in an build a new brick smoker. I got the furnace in but havent gotten around to the smoker yet.
This forum is absoloutley amazing, such a wealth of knowledge and information. I have ysed alot of recipes based off of those found on here for a number of years.

Thank you bear, one of those bacons was your recipe an i loosely follow your bacon smoking regiment. I always hace great results and love your step by steps.

Alright yall here they are had a little mishap with my redi check maverick showing 135 for internal temp when it was actually 160 but they turned out ok just drier than i like. I think with first taste ill cut my smoke back to 2hrs or so seems a bit strong but it might mellow out after a day or 2. I think ill do shorter pieces as well or go back to using my racks the ebds near the bottom got a little over done.
20181012_052326.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky