Hanging Snack Sticks and Sausages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zac Frampton

Original poster
Dec 27, 2017
This may have been discussed before but I couldn't find anything.

I just got an MES 40 so I can hang the snack sticks and wonder what others have done to make this work well. Dowels in the rack track?

I don't want to end up with a pile in the bottom of the smoker.

Yup,dowels in the rack track. I cut a shallow slot near each end to keep them from rolling and that's pretty much it.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yep, dowels are the classic. You could also just drape them from the rack. Not much room in the 30 so some us added "L" brackets at the top.

Make sure you use hardwood dowels, oak, maple but don’t use a soft wood like pine. Or you can also use small angle iron 3/8” or smaller if you can find it.

Used to use dowels but they are a pain in the butt. They tend to roll out of place and can burn if to close to the heat. I now use the corner aluminum. They work great and are cheap at any hardware store.
20240313_153403.jpg

Check tallbm tallbm post #16

I just got an MES 40 so I can hang the snack sticks and wonder what others have done to make this work well. Dowels in the rack track?
Dowels work great . I have a MES 30 . I added angles at the top of the smoker . I can hang 20 " SS when using the angle position .

If you want to add angles , use a length of 2X4 as a gauge .
20190413_140403.jpg
You can use a rod on the angle ,
20190413_140424.jpg
or use the rack with hooks .
20190413_140452.jpg

I built a rack to match the inside of my 30 . That way I can hang the sausage before smoking to dry and warm up in the house .
20231025_083505.jpg
Then I pick the rods up and go to the smoker . No loading / unloading of the sausage .
20231025_132621.jpg
Then in to bloom post smoke . Again just grab the rod and bring it in to hang .
20231025_140626.jpg

This is a setup that Richie tropics tropics built a while back . Really nice work by him .

Reactions: Timber II
I just used mine for the first time last weekend. Found dowels at Menards that fit perfectly in the shelf slot snug so the don’t roll. Can’t recall the size.

This may have been discussed before but I couldn't find anything.

I don't want to end up with a pile in the bottom of the smoker.
Hi there and welcome!
I personally think the angle iron/aluminum is much more elegant, especially when fitted well with the 1 inch dowels but I had my wood setup going well before that idea came about lol.

Here is the link to the post that Winterrider Winterrider mentioned:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/sticks-for-hanging-sausages-in-smoker.319012/#post-2391251

w1bhjzs-png.png

hdpslt5-png.png

I saw this idea online somewhere and duplicated it.
Learn from my pain and go ahead and start with 1 inch untreated Oak dowels (hardwood).

I cut the little dowel holders from some untreated birch wood.

Also that wood board you see is another birch wood board I cut and I lay on top of my racks to reduce space when smoking.

I smoke using the bottom rack 1st and then fill upwards. Often I am doing just a 1 rack smoke so I put that board on the next higher wire rack holders and it helps keep heat from immediately escaping out of the vent. Just a simple little mod/hack to help maintain temps more efficiently (though I use a PID controller).

Finally, when I smoke sausage I always have the bottom rack in place as well. If the sausages somehow fall off or if the wooden dowel would fail (happens with much thinner dowels) then the rack is there to catch the sausage so it doesn't lay on the heating element or stuff right over the heating element :D

I hope this info helps :D

Reactions: Timber II
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky