Smoking for the River Day 3 - Porksteaks and Pork Belly Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Yesterday was last day of smoking in prep for the river.

Six nice Porksteaks and another batch of Pork Belly burnt ends.

I did my Porksteaks using my rib process from Day 2 except the glaze on the end is the same as on the pork belly, which is a combination my sweet sauce, honey and blackberry jelly.

When they came out of the foil, I gave them a bit more rub, then light brushing of the glaze, bumped the smoker to 250 and let them go 25 minutes.

They are fork tender, and as you can see in the photos the bone is starting to separate nicely.

What can I say about the Pork Belly burnt ends... other than miraculously I managed to get most of these in the vacuum bag, along with about 4 or 5 that were left from the batch I did Tuesday. These things are off the chain, and absolutely the best thing I turn out of my smoker. My recipe and process for them is exactly what I want and I don't need to do anymore tweaking to it. I need to print it out and put it in the safety deposit box :-)

Just like the ribs I vacuum sealed everything with an extra 1/4 cup of the pork syrup I got by straining and defatting the pan juices, that stuff is gooooood, I may try it on my pancakes, look out Aunt Jemima!

On to the pics....

After 3 hours, into the pan they go with my standard "Rib Prep". Brown sugar, Honey, butter, rub, pineapple juice. There was some major shrinkage, these things would barely fit in a pan raw!
porksteak1.jpg
All done. Notice I wasn't successful and transferring the one completely intact. Had some smoke in my eye which led to a tongs mishap.
porksteak2.jpg
All size stacked into the pan. Cooks sample hidden underneath so it doesn't show in the photo :-)
porksteak3.jpg
And these things might quite literally be the death of me, but what a way to go! LOL
porkbelly.jpg
Full smoked meat haul, frozen and ready to head to the river.
freezer.jpg

Everything looks delicious!
Would you mind sharing your burnt ends recipe, they look really good!
Al

Looks like a great survival kit for the river. Have fun

Point for sure.

Chris

Everything looks delicious!
Would you mind sharing your burnt ends recipe, they look really good!
Al

Cubed, the last ones I got from Costco where really nice and thick I try to cut them so they are about as wide as they are thick.

Apply my dry rub (it's a sweet savory Memphis style)
In smoker @225 for about 3 hours until bark is where I want it. At this point they are just starting to get "squishy"
Add to foil pan with:
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
cover and back in smoker for 1 hour 45 minutes
When they come back out the IT should be in the 200-205 range
Remove foil, drain the liquid.
Apply glaze (as you can see in pics I don't over do the sauce, just enough to get your fingers good and sticky)
Back in smoker for 25 minutes, I bump smoker to 250. Note: for you Lang you probably only want to go 15 min, in my MES, its probably cooled to 190-200 when I put them back in, and bumping to 250, is probably taking it 10-15 minutes to get to 250. I am using the MES "issues" to my advantage to ramp up the temp to caramelize the glaze without burning.

The Glaze is:
1 Cup of my Sweet Sauce - My wife is the saucer in the family and likes it Sweet. Mine is probably a bit sweeter than Sweet Baby Rays, if you can believe that, with a bourbon kicker to make it "southern"

1/4 cup apple jelly - this batch I didn't have apple, so I used blackberry.
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup apple juice - I am using pineapple with all my pork now instead of apple

BTW, I think these things may be even better cold right out of the fridge than they are warm. That is based on how many I snagged from Tuesdays batch, every time I got into the fridge when I was doing the other 2 days of the cook.

Thanks Pete!
I like the blackberry, or maybe black rasberry.
The next belly I cure for bacon, I'll definitely take off a hunk & give this a go.
Thanks for posting it.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky