Smoking 45 pound Piggy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cubano15

Original poster
May 29, 2017
Well boys and girls, me and a buddy decide it to was time to smoke a little piggy... here is some pictures so far. Let’s hope this turns out good...

Attachments

• AAA6EC04-1E50-4826-AFE1-834CD3BDB2C5.jpeg
    AAA6EC04-1E50-4826-AFE1-834CD3BDB2C5.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 4C9F71F3-573C-4E82-B730-771A51AD5337.jpeg
    4C9F71F3-573C-4E82-B730-771A51AD5337.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 87
  • A459CEBA-DAE3-4229-B9AB-F2FD0B35D2F8.jpeg
    A459CEBA-DAE3-4229-B9AB-F2FD0B35D2F8.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 90
Looks great so far. Cant wait to see the final product. I saw at my local costco they have started carrying whole hogs and lambs hanging in the freezer section. Im tempted to buy one and scare the crap out of my wife!

Reactions: wwideersmoker
Thanks everybody. The biggest hang up we had was trying to find information and recommendations. This is what we did:

Bought on Tuesday and let it thaw out in the fridge. It was finally fully thawed on Friday morning. Friday night, I created a basic brine, water, salt, brown sugar, Apple juice. I was able to get the whole pig into the Yeti cooler. The wife wasnt thrilled about using the Yeti but that was the best way IMO. We let it brine for 48 hours, cleaned it out Sunday afternoon using a garden hose on the back of the truck bed with a black large garbage bag. From there, put mustard and bbq rub all over the inside of the pig. Put on the GMG Daniel Boone last night about 2200. Set the temp to 215 and it has been going strong since then.

NICE!!!!. I am definitely in for this one!! I got to try something similar once and was amazed at just how good it was. Been a fan since. Can't wait to see it all done, Only thing better would be to taste it......

NICE!!!!. I am definitely in for this one!! I got to try something similar once and was amazed at just how good it was. Been a fan since. Can't wait to see it all done, Only thing better would be to taste it......

So you smoked a pig once?

I went to an outing where there were a few done. We then had one done for our wedding reception. I helped some friends do one 2 yrs ago on a charcoal spit they rented for their wedding reception, Now I am itching to do it again.

I went to an outing where there were a few done. We then had one done for our wedding reception. I helped some friends do one 2 yrs ago on a charcoal spit they rented for their wedding reception, Now I am itching to do it again.
Very nice. I need some advice/recommendations, how did you guys decide on final temp? And from what part of the pig? That has been my biggest issue so far...

Last edited:
If you were taking the shoulder that high the rest would be done to a crisp. We brought ours to to the mid 160's and let rest for an hour before slicing and dicing for all the hungry mouths we had. We did have some parts slightly over cooked but in general it was all cooked great.

My initial thought was 192 in the shoulder..
Well my Cooks were considerably different from yours, not a whole, skin-on hog.

You've plenty of moisture retention and more fat inside that skin, and all the internal bone mass.
You're 100% correct in your temp for whole hog, 180' for Sliced hams/shoulders, 200' or higher for Pulled.
Some say to cook till the whole pig is falling off the bones.
You might wanna take the loins off at 165', or not.
Kind'a depends on if you plan on pulling/ chopping the entire thing up for serving.

My grilled/smoked pigs were almost entirely falling off the bones at 165', but you see how I cooked it.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky