Smokin Tex Feedback needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I have an opportunity to grab a Smokin Tex 5 rack analog smoker for a great price. The only real interest I have in it is for lower temp smoking for bacons, sausages and perhaps cheese. It's supposed to be able to hold 100F. Anyone have one and can provide feedback? I've seen pics of folks doing cheese and holding below 100 with a tray of ice in it.

Reactions: millerbuilds
Do you mean Smokin TX 1500?
I have the Smokin TX 1400 and love it for Bacon, Jerky, Eggs, Fish, etc... I have had it for at least 12 years. I am with Chopsaw, if you can get it a decent price, grab it!

- Jason

Reactions: chopsaw
Forgot to mention- Yes, I do cheese in mine as well, but use an A-Maze-N with sawdust and pellets. Living in Texas, I only get a couple months each year that I can smoke cheese.

Jason

Reactions: indaswamp
Do you mean Smokin TX 1500?
I have the Smokin TX 1400 and love it for Bacon, Jerky, Eggs, Fish, etc... I have had it for at least 12 years. I am with Chopsaw, if you can get it a decent price, grab it!

- Jason
Smokin Tex 1400 that's been used less than 20 times. Can get for $300. Pretty much sold on getting it. It's an hour and a half away so need to work out logistics. Have you tried doing cheese set at 100F with a block of ice in a pan on bottom rack? For bacon and sausage do you feel like you get adequate smoke with just the wood box in the unit? I don't want to havefto use a tube. If I did that I could use my existing smokers.

The analog will run at 100 deg, with a fluctuation as it cycles. It won't hold steady like a PID will but you can easily add one.
I had a Smokin Tex 1400 that I gave to brother in law, and he loves it.

Smokin Tex 1400 that's been used less than 20 times. Can get for $300. Pretty much sold on getting it. It's an hour and a half away so need to work out logistics. Have you tried doing cheese set at 100F with a block of ice in a pan on bottom rack? For bacon and sausage do you feel like you get adequate smoke with just the wood box in the unit? I don't want to havefto use a tube. If I did that I could use my existing smokers.
I have not tried the ice method, I am sure that would keep the racks around 75-80 degrees.
It is a steal for $300

Jason

Jeff, these are not as rare as you may think. I found tons when I looked and ended up thinking that was not a good sign. I came close to buying a few. LOVE the SS commercial look. I find the small amount of air flow weird. Genius or madness, no idea. I personally believe for cold smoking the smoker itself is not critical and even cardboard box works. I ran TONS of cheese and have come to the conclusion that you need to use liquid smoke to get anywhere near Hickory Farms. Not sure if you have fooled with PID but that what I would suggest and use your MES40 for bacon and the like.

I agree that a tray full of dust is all you need for cheese. I've used that in my kettle and GMG with no heat and makes fine cheese or bacon.

Not sure if you have fooled with PID but that what I would suggest and use your MES40 for bacon and the like.
Didn't know you had an MES 40 . A $150.00 Auber PID makes that one heck of a unit .
You'd have to use a tube or tray at lower temps though . I do burn wood chunks in mine at higher temps , but I hardly ever use it for anything like that .

Jeff, these are not as rare as you may think. I found tons when I looked and ended up thinking that was not a good sign. I came close to buying a few. LOVE the SS commercial look. I find the small amount of air flow weird. Genius or madness, no idea. I personally believe for cold smoking the smoker itself is not critical and even cardboard box works. I ran TONS of cheese and have come to the conclusion that you need to use liquid smoke to get anywhere near Hickory Farms. Not sure if you have fooled with PID but that what I would suggest and use your MES40 for bacon and the like.

Didn't know you had an MES 40 . A $150.00 Auber PID makes that one heck of a unit .
You'd have to use a tube or tray at lower temps though . I do burn wood chunks in mine at higher temps , but I hardly ever use it for anything like that .
I don't have an MES anymore. It's been gone a few years. I think I'm going to give this a go. I want it mainly to do bacon, jerky , peppers and maybe some sausages. Pretty sure I can flip it for what I'm paying if I don't end up liking it. Honestly if it works even just for bulk jerky I'll love it.

SmokinTex (ST) has been around for years as has CookShack and SmokinIt. All solid smokers. ST has not embraced the electronic PID technology preferring to keep it simple (I guess). ST used to have a forum which was quite popular. I don't know why they stopped the forum. Several owners have posted on this forum over the years so a search might get you some owner info.

I don't have an MES anymore. It's been gone a few years. I think I'm going to give this a go. I want it mainly to do bacon, jerky , peppers and maybe some sausages. Pretty sure I can flip it for what I'm paying if I don't end up liking it. Honestly if it works even just for bulk jerky I'll love it.
I still stand by my original comment of " Grab it "
I researched these hard when my 30 started giving me issues years ago ( pre Auber )
All 3 mentioned by Old Sarge above were on my radar .
Ended up going the PID route on my MES , and that makes a great setup .
I bet you'll like it , and if you want better temp control you can use a PID controller . If it's analog , you set the stock control to max , then plug the unit into the PID ( Auber plug and play type ) Then that into power . Use the Auber to control temps .
I'll be interested in seeing it when you get it .
My MES 30 is going on 10 years being outside . Under roof , but never covered . She's starting to look old .

Reactions: zwiller
Well change your sig then LOL Oh yeah, IMO you need an electric smoker of some sorts for that stuff.

I still stand by my original comment of " Grab it "
I researched these hard when my 30 started giving me issues years ago ( pre Auber )
All 3 mentioned by Old Sarge above were on my radar .
Ended up going the PID route on my MES , and that makes a great setup .
I bet you'll like it , and if you want better temp control you can use a PID controller . If it's analog , you set the stock control to max , then plug the unit into the PID ( Auber plug and play type ) Then that into power . Use the Auber to control temps .
I'll be interested in seeing it when you get it .
This is about me exactly and already have the Auber. 50% of the reason I got it was I knew I could use it on another smoker if I wanted.

Not sure how plan on running it but I am totally sold on the tray/tube concept and fear there is not enough air flow for it to work in those.

You can easily flip it for the same $ if you do not like it.

Jason

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky