Sicilian Pistachio and Lemon Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One salami has reached right at 35% weight loss. Just cut some to taste....WOW! Flavor explosion! nutty notes are really starting to develop... the pistachio has really come forward and balances the lemon perfectly! The umami has deepened...so complex, yet light flavor. I am truly blown away at how good this one turned out! The mold definitely raised the pH slightly which consumed some of the lactic acid..the citric acid really shines through! I'm gonna let it dry some more and let the flavor develop more but so far I am really impressed!
LoydB LoydB and S SCBBQ ...I hope your salami turns out as good as mine did.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Well, final results are in today...the pistachio and lemon salami reached 35% today so I pulled all but one (still at 32%) and cut into chunks to vacseal.
IMG_20221016_145527.jpg

I checked the pH out of curiosity....it had risen to 5.08 from 4.83 so the mold and D.Hanseii yeast were very active with flavor creation and released a lot of ammonia to raise the pH 0.25 points. This is why there is no lactic acid tang in this salami, even though the pH fell to the 4.8 range....it was from the citric acid in the lemon zest.
IMG_20221016_144607.jpg

Very balanced with a slight citric acid bite that really makes the lemon flavor pop. The pistachio flavor has really intensified and the total is a very balanced salami. I like it a lot!

This sounds like a great salami. I never would think of pistachio and lemon! Thx for the great posts and pictures. I love your scientific approach, especially regarding sugar calculations.

Reactions: indaswamp
This sounds like a great salami. I never would think of pistachio and lemon! Thx for the great posts and pictures. I love your scientific approach, especially regarding sugar calculations.
Thanks Dave! This salami is a Sicilian classic. And this recipe is perfect! Regarding the scientific approach-well, I did study engineering and have a very strong scientific background. That came in handy when I build my new maturing chamber....

Reactions: Dave in AZ
I went ahead and rechecked the pH now that my pH meter temp. probe problem has been sorted out. This is @35% weight loss and finished drying...
IMG_20221021_204805.jpg

Damn that looks great. Still waiting on mine, it's at about 25% now.

I am using the recipe from Olympic Provisions for this classic Sicilian Salami. I made this for the first time back in Jan. 2021. It was a big hit on the board and I have been wanting to make it again. Caught a pork butt sale so here we go! I also picked up a 4# chunk of loin and 2.5# of tenderloins. Ended up with 6.25Kg. of lean for the salami.
View attachment 643128
I went shopping for the pistachios and fresh lemons. Stopped by the butcher shop and bought 3kg. of Berkshire pork back fat for the salami. All the trim and fat from the commodity pork will be used in smoke sausages.

Spices, Salt, cure #2, lemon zest in white wine, and pistachios ready to go...along with mold 600 I mixed up last night. I wait to mix up the starter culture right before grinding. I am using SM-194 culture.
View attachment 643129
I ground the lean through a 12mm plate...
View attachment 643130

then took 20% of that and mixed it in with the cubed back fat.
View attachment 643131
Ran that through an 8mm plate. the meat helps to keep the fat separated and gives the auger more grab to force the fat through the grinder plate without the fat slipping to preserve the fat integrity.
View attachment 643132
View attachment 643133

I mixed in the wine, lemon zest and the SM-194 culture then checked the pH. It was in the 5.9 range. Then I did some figuring for the amount of dextrose and sucrose I needed for fermentation. From experience, I know that the lemon zest will continue to release citric acid over time. And since I am stuffing into 60-65mm casings which will usually allow a little lower acid drop during fermentation, I settled on 1.875g. sugars/kg. mince. Weighed that out and mixed it in with the spices, salt and cure #2. Added that to the meat along with the pistachios. Then it was mixed very well for protein extraction.
View attachment 643134
View attachment 643135

Next was stuffing... ended up with 5 salami 1600-1800g. each; 22" long. Into the ferment can to warm up for a few hours, then I will transfer to the accelerated drying chamber for 5-7 days. Will check the pH in 24 hours...when it drops below 5.2 I will transfer.
View attachment 643137
Awesome man!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky