Sicilian Pistachio and Lemon Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I am using the recipe from Olympic Provisions for this classic Sicilian Salami. I made this for the first time back in Jan. 2021. It was a big hit on the board and I have been wanting to make it again. Caught a pork butt sale so here we go! I also picked up a 4# chunk of loin and 2.5# of tenderloins. Ended up with 6.25Kg. of lean for the salami.
IMG_20220907_095149.jpg

I went shopping for the pistachios and fresh lemons. Stopped by the butcher shop and bought 3kg. of Berkshire pork back fat for the salami. All the trim and fat from the commodity pork will be used in smoke sausages.

Spices, Salt, cure #2, lemon zest in white wine, and pistachios ready to go...along with mold 600 I mixed up last night. I wait to mix up the starter culture right before grinding. I am using SM-194 culture.
IMG_20220907_111636.jpg

I ground the lean through a 12mm plate...
IMG_20220907_113221.jpg

then took 20% of that and mixed it in with the cubed back fat.
IMG_20220907_113715.jpg

Ran that through an 8mm plate. the meat helps to keep the fat separated and gives the auger more grab to force the fat through the grinder plate without the fat slipping to preserve the fat integrity.
IMG_20220907_114146.jpg

IMG_20220907_114151.jpg

I mixed in the wine, lemon zest and the SM-194 culture then checked the pH. It was in the 5.9 range. Then I did some figuring for the amount of dextrose and sucrose I needed for fermentation. From experience, I know that the lemon zest will continue to release citric acid over time. And since I am stuffing into 60-65mm casings which will usually allow a little lower acid drop during fermentation, I settled on 1.875g. sugars/kg. mince. Weighed that out and mixed it in with the spices, salt and cure #2. Added that to the meat along with the pistachios. Then it was mixed very well for protein extraction.
IMG_20220907_121950.jpg

IMG_20220907_122002.jpg

Next was stuffing... ended up with 5 salami 1600-1800g. each; 22" long. Into the ferment can to warm up for a few hours, then I will transfer to the accelerated drying chamber for 5-7 days. Will check the pH in 24 hours...when it drops below 5.2 I will transfer.
IMG_20220907_144425.jpg

Last edited:
Pistachio and Lemon Salami

800g Lean Pork; shoulder, loin, tenderloin
200g Back Fat

25g Sea Salt
3g cure #2
1.2g ground white pepper
4.2g Lemon zest fine dice
36g whole pistachios
0.62g dextrose
1.25g Turbinado sugar
10mL dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
0.125g SM-194 starter culture in 30mL distilled water

Fat 8mm grind, Lean 12mm grind
Stuff-60-65mm casing, 18-20" long

Ferment 24-30 hours @ 68-70*F until pH drops below 5.2...

*edit- salami made 04/2024 I used:
0.5g/kg. dextrose
1.1g/kg. sucrose

Final pH drop was 5.25 which is perfect.

very nice pictures telling the story of how you make these!! going to be worth the wait i bet!!! thanks for sharing this process!

Reactions: indaswamp
very nice pictures telling the story of how you make these!! going to be worth the wait i bet!!! thanks for sharing this process!
Thanks tbern! This is the first run of larger 60-65mm salami in my new maturing chamber. I should be transferring them to that chamber in 7-8 days.

Welcome back! Hope you had fun at deer camp.. Looks good! Did you split up the pistachios at all? Another question - so you cubed the fat and then put it through the grinder? Why not just through the grinder if that's the case?

Reactions: indaswamp
Welcome back! Hope you had fun at deer camp.. Looks good! Did you split up the pistachios at all?
I thought about maybe taking some...maybe 5-10% of the total.... and running them through the coffee grinder to turn them into a powder, but the flavor profile is good as it is and I thought the pistachio powder might interfere with the bind so I did not.

Another question - so you cubed the fat and then put it through the grinder? Why not just through the grinder if that's the case?
Yes. If you don't, then the large chunks of fat will bog down the grinder auger @27-30*F. I want the fat cut to fit easily between the auger twist and get pushed forward onto the knife with no fat smear. The meat gives it a lot of grab. I can't remember where I saw this trick, but I like it and it works great.

Last edited:
That looks amazing. I’m still in awe of your curing skills.
Thanks Sven! Watching Master Italian salami makers blows my mind....It is a huge topic and I still have a lot to learn. I learn something new almost everyday as I go along this journey. And I am having a lot of fun too!! I thrive on the challenge....

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I thought about maybe taking some...maybe 5-10% of the total.... and running them through the coffee grinder to turn them into a powder, but the flavor profile is good as it is and I thought the pistachio powder might interfere with the bind so I did not.

Yes. If you don't, then the large chunks of fat will bog down the grinder auger @27-30*F. I want the fat cut to fit easily between the auger twist and get pushed forward onto the knife with no fat smear. The meat gives it a lot of grab. I can't remember where I saw this trick, but I like it and it works great.

I don't seem to have the same issues with fat smear but I wonder if it's because my freezer is negative 7 F... the fat actually chimes like ice in the bowl chopper. I haven't received the grinder yet. Actually, I did, they just sent the wrong model so I am awaiting the correct one :)

I don't know if I would have the patients for this. It all looks so good, super envious. When the summer work season is over, I still need to dig into andouille sausage.
It's like making wine or cheese.....takes time. And believe it or not-time is an ingredient. When a Culatello is finished aging @22-36 months, it's not really pork anymore. It has transformed; the proteins and fats having been broken down by the enzymes, the bacteria and the mold to recombine and form over 600 flavor molecules. Same thing happens with salami and cheese.

When you get ready for Andouille, I got you covered....right in my wheel house.

Last edited:
I don't seem to have the same issues with fat smear but I wonder if it's because my freezer is negative 7 F... the fat actually chimes like ice in the bowl chopper. I haven't received the grinder yet. Actually, I did, they just sent the wrong model so I am awaiting the correct one :)
bowl chopper...yeah-no problem with 7*F fat. You actually NEED it that cold in a bowl chopper. The temperature range is tight. Too cold or too hot is bad.

A grinder on the other hand-no way you could grind 7*F fat...it would definitely smear. Go look up the video where cajuneric @ 2 Guys and a Cooler talks about grinding fat that is too cold. Optimum temp. for grinding fat is 28-30*F. Meat can be ground under 35*F....but I like 30-32*F.

Might not be noticeable with a fresh sausage..might have slight fat out with a smoke sausage....but it'll cause SERIOUS issues in a salami.

Last edited:
I've ordered their book - and all of their salami sampler packages just to use for reference. Of note, this one is not in any of their packages I don't think.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky