Smoked Pickles by Osmosis - Q/View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you wanted smoked pickles but don't can your own. What if you drained all the liquid from the pickles (reserve it) Then introduce the smoke to the pickles in the jar. Let sit then reintroduce the pickle juice. I suppose you could smoke the juice too.
I did think of smoking the pickles in the jar, but wanting the smoke flavor throughout the pickle. I thought the smoke flavor would migrate faster if they were in a liquid, could be wrong.  Thanks for the input. I will smoke both next time and see what happens. 

Tom

Very Nice Tom, Thanks for the post
icon14.gif

Just went and got a new jar of pickles... it was tough to get alot of smoke in the jar .. I was using the amnps mailbox mod with the pipe crammed in the jar.. but afyer a while it filled up and I put the lid on tighte for about an hour. I think ill add more smoke tomorrow when I get another batch of jerky going.. maybe ill try the other route like Case suggested.. remove liquid... apply the little amount of smoke to pickles only.... hell.. it was only $5 worth of pickles.. so not that bad of loss if they get bitter..

it was only $5 worth of pickles.. so not that bad of loss if they get bitter..
You wont have to worry about bitterness, although your mod will help clean the smoke.  In order to get the smoke into the juice, give it an occasional good shaking.  Let us know how it turns out.

Tom

it was only $5 worth of pickles.. so not that bad of loss if they get bitter..

You wont have to worry about bitterness, although your mod will help clean the smoke.  In order to get the smoke into the juice, give it an occasional good shaking.  Let us know how it turns out.

Tom
Will do Tom. Im excited. .. but I know patience.. its like looking at 10lbs of freshly smoked cheese resting in the fridge

..I know I cant touch.... lol
Mike

Thank you!! The grocery store near me sold hickory smoked pickles that i LOVED but all of a sudden they stopped carrying them and i have been looking everywhere for them. Well screw them im going to make my own!! Any idea about using pre cut spears instead of whole pickles?

Thank you!! The grocery store near me sold hickory smoked pickles that i LOVED but all of a sudden they stopped carrying them and i have been looking everywhere for them. Well screw them im going to make my own!! Any idea about using pre cut spears instead of whole pickles?
I agree.  I can't see any problem at all with the spears.  Sure would shave some time off the process.  Give us a comparison report.

Tom

Reactions: dls1
Tom you are some kind of crazy!! But that is awesome and now i will try it :)
Say, I resemble that remark.  Thought I would try adding some smoke flavor without adding liquid smoke as I suspect a commercial producer would do.  Let us know how yours turns out and how you did it.

Tom

AWESOME!!!!! Love Pickles!  But, no one has mentioned the pickles you used come from NC! 
yahoo.gif
  I love Mt. Olive pickles!  Will have to try this as we always have these pickles around!

Will be waiting. I used alder, next time I will use hickory and or mesquite. 
popcorn.gif
cheers.gif

Tom

Last edited:
Tom - That looks great. I already have dill pickles on the shopping list for this weekend so I'm definitely going to try this.

I also do a Mediterranean style marinade for olives that I think this would be perfect for. I'll be picking up some mixed olives also.

Thanks for the tip.

Tom - That looks great. I already have dill pickles on the shopping list for this weekend so I'm definitely going to try this.

I also do a Mediterranean style marinade for olives that I think this would be perfect for. I'll be picking up some mixed olives also.

Thanks for the tip.
Great, let us know how both turn out.  I would be interested in the olive marinade.

Tom

That jar reminds me of the Lucas Electronics Smoke Replacement Kit  (mechanic joke).  Almost ready to pick my first cukes,  hopefully my first two bhut jolokias ripen up soon so I can try to make smoked Ghost Pepper pickles!

Edit;  @jtnf -great minds...

Last edited:
Too bad I don't like dill pickles. Will this work on sweet or bread and butter pickles?

Sure, the technique will work on any liquid.  I used the Smoke Daddy in this thread as many on the forum have one.  I also use a Smoking Gun when applying smoke into liquids.  If you have a way of getting smoke into it, you can use different containers such as a drink shaker, a blender, food processor or zip bag. The following will give you an idea as to how its done.  Smoked Butter - From Scratch Q/view - Updated 6/14/2013

Smoking Lettuce from Go to Show - Q/View

Tom
That jar reminds me of the Lucas Electronics Smoke Replacement Kit  (mechanic joke).  Almost ready to pick my first cukes,  hopefully my first two bhut jolokias ripen up soon so I can try to make smoked Ghost Pepper pickles!

Edit;  @jtnf -great minds...
I bet they will be good.  Have you considered using them on pickled eggs. Enjoy the following.

"Bible School Eggs"

Tom
Strangely reminiscent of Genuine Lucas Wire Harness Smoke.
biggrin.gif
Oh I know the aroma, just haven't used it on food yet.

Tom

Glad to see that you good ole Eastern North Carolina pickles put up in Mount Olive, NC, which sits on the line between Bladen and Wayne counties. I was thru that part of the world 2 weeks ago and the pickle vats were being filled.

Sounds like a great idea. I'll have to figure a way to infuse the pickle juice on my MES with pellets or maybe in my mini-WSM.

Thanks for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky