Smoked Mississippi Pot Roast, Smoked Bacon Mac N Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Evening fellas and non fellas. Been working on a spread today. Started off with a nice chuck roast. Seasoned with my beef rub and onto the smoker at 225 using pecan
IMG_20201025_123040.jpg

IMG_20201025_123106.jpg

After about 3.5hr IT was 158 so pulled it off and did it mississippi style.
Into a pan with a stick unsalted butter, packet of au jus, 2tbls or packet of ranch dressing, several pepperoncini and a little of the juice. Added some carrots
IMG_20201025_152026.jpg
IMG_20201025_152515.jpg

Double covered in foil and back to the smoker. Pulled it off at about 208° and let rest for 1.5hr while I worked on mac n cheese.
IMG_20201025_173044.jpg

No progress pics for mac n cheese. But here's the recipe
1lb elbow macaroni
2T flour
2T butter
2C heavy cream
1.5lb sharp cheddar
Half lb gouda. I used my smoked gouda
1C sour cream
1C mayo. I used dukes
2T hot sauce
2t SPG
Lb bacon
Half cup panko

Before hand cook bacon in oven until crispy and finely chop

Cook pasta until tender. 7-8min. Drain

In pot melt butter over medium heat. Add flour. Stir until it smells nutty. Add half cup heavy cream. Stir. Will thicken. Add another half cup. Stir. Then add remaining cup. Thicken for a couple minutes. Start adding cheeses slowly. You want to make sure this completely blends in the roux. After all that is together take off heat. Mix in pasta, mayo, sour cream, hot sauce, spg and make sure it mixes well. Pour in an aluminum pan. Mix the bacon with the panko. I ended up with 7.5oz of chopped bacon and mixed with the half cup panko. Spread mixture over top. Place on smoker uncovered at 300-325 for about an hour 15min. Check halfway.

Mixed up before smoker
IMG_20201025_181525.jpg

And on the smoker
IMG_20201025_182539.jpg

Finished
IMG_20201025_192713~2.jpg

The beef pulled
IMG_20201025_192637~2.jpg

And my plate. Beef nestled on a mashed taters bed. Covered in brown gravy and I pile of smoked bacon mac. This is our go to smoked mac n cheese recipe and honestly the best I've had. Hope y'all will give it a try
IMG_20201025_193154~2.jpg

that looks like a plateful of heaven right there Jake! Sure glad you used unsalted butter :emoji_blush:...aw heck, I love carbs so don't care! Another fine looking meal

Ryan

Beautiful spread Jake, nice piece of work, Like! Got this bookmarked to try the mac & cheese recipe, looks like a real winner. RAY

2t SPG? Is that 2 teaspoon of salt pepper and garlic. Two for each ingredient or all three mixed equal parts and two of that mixture?

Looks great Jake. I've made the potroast before and it turned out a hit, I guess next I'll give the mac and cheese a go, it looks killer!

Looks fantastic Jake ! I have to try that mac n cheese! It has to be killer with all that bacon on top!

Beautiful and comforting looking plate of food there Jake! I did a smoked mac and cheese recently with the bacon/panko mixture on the top, it was really good.

I meant to reply last night but fell asleep looking at your plate of food...nap inducing just by looking at it.

My wife likes making the Mississippi pot roast in the crockpot...I gotta get on this version of it.

Thaa
that looks like a plateful of heaven right there Jake! Sure glad you used unsalted butter :emoji_blush:...aw heck, I love carbs so don't care! Another fine looking meal

Ryan
[/QUOTE

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. Unsalted butter is about the healthiest thing I've eaten this weekend lol

2t SPG? Is that 2 teaspoon of salt pepper and garlic. Two for each ingredient or all three mixed equal parts and two of that mixture?
Yes salt pepper garlic. Mix equal parts and use 2 teaspoons of the mixture

Beautiful and comforting looking plate of food there Jake! I did a smoked mac and cheese recently with the bacon/panko mixture on the top, it was really good.

I meant to reply last night but fell asleep looking at your plate of food...nap inducing just by looking at it.

My wife likes making the Mississippi pot roast in the crockpot...I gotta get on this version of it.
Thanks Joe. You can smoke it and still finish in crockpot like normal and it will turn out great

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky